Pathfinder Roundup: NPC & Advanced Race Guide Pocket Editions, Sandpoint

Hello again friends and welcome to the newest edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! The Golem marches on and so do we! Even as we move forward to Pathfinder 2nd edition, Paizo isn’t about to leave us first edition diehards hanging in the breeze, so there are plenty of things to look forward to in the coming weeks. Let’s get started!

Hello again friends and welcome to the newest edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! The Golem marches on and so do we! Even as we move forward to Pathfinder 2nd edition, Paizo isn’t about to leave us first edition diehards hanging in the breeze, so there are plenty of things to look forward to in the coming weeks. Let’s get started!

First and foremost, Pocket Editions! As has been discussed in this space before, Paizo will be releasing Pocket Editions for the first edition rulebooks for as long as they have Pocket Editions to do. All us long-time GMs are breathing sighs of relief – and so are our aching backs!

The first Pocket Edition of this Roundup is actually more beneficial for all the players out there who just need to have every option available when making a new character! The Advanced Race Guide: Pocket Edition is just what you need to take to your newest game across town. Remember when goblins weren’t a core race (or ancestry, as they’re called now)? Just can’t shake your need to make a scimitar-wielding drow? Never miss a chance to make a kobold trapsmith? Well now you can, but with a lighter backpack!

Next up is a godsend for GMs everywhere, for many reasons. Including the weight savings! The NPC Codex Pocket Edition provides hundreds of ready-made stat blocks for NPCs of all type and ECL. Now it’s even easier to frantically flip through a book to find out what a given merchant’s Perception or Sense Motive skill is, or rustle up a squadron of city guards on the fly! All they need to do next is release a bunch of easy-to-reference perforated cards, and we’ll be set. Ah, but that’s something to hope for in to in second edition.

Now, on to something new! The town of Sandpoint has really seen a lot of action over the years. It all kicked off with the very first Adventure Path, Rise of the Runelords, and it’s all coming to a head with Return of the Runelords. While there has always been the information we needed to run our adventures in Sandpoint, we’ve only had what we needed to run the adventures at hand.

Paizo knows how much the community has fallen in love with the sleepy little town, so they’ve made a little gift for all of us! The Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Sandpoint, Light of the Lost Coast finally takes a deep dive into the best little town in Golarion. All the important NPCs collected together in the same place, all the major points of interest collected and expanded upon – it’s a GM’s dream come true!

Even better, Sandpoint, Light of the Lost Coast includes dozens of quests for adventurers to sink their teeth into, for GMs who want to give Sandpoint and the surrounding area time and space to breathe and live. Finally, and this is exciting for me as a cartographer, it includes a double-sided pull-out map of Sandpoint and the surrounding area. I always enjoy perusing the map of a professional cartographer and learning what stories they can tell us about the world just by depicting it on paper.

Well, that about does it for this edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! Are you looking forward to a lighter backpack like I am? Who here is thinking about starting a deep-thread intrigue campaign in Sandpoint? I personally think I could use everything here to run a year-long campaign in Sandpoint, but that also could be because I like to keep my players poor and desperate. Till next time, Roundup fans!

This article was contributed by Ben Reece (LongGoneWrier) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

Koloth

First Post
Thanks for this update. Pre-orders placed. The pocket editions are perfect for my gaming shelf for those times that I host a game session. Means the GM doesn't have to lug an entire library just in case a particular book is needed.

Hope PF2 includes pocket editions.

Wonder if the Sandpoint book will have a PF2 update sheet at some future point?

Remove ads

Remove ads