The Briar Man Is A Monster From Kobold Press' Tales of the Old Margreve

Tales of the Old Margerve is a collection of 5E adventures set in an ancient, enchanted forest in Kobold Press' Midgard setting on Kickstarter right now. Kobold Press has sent along a preview of one of the monsters from the book -- the Briar Man, an undead fey vampiric monstrosity!

briar.jpg

The Kickstarter itself contains two books (and an optional pawn stretch goal). The primary book contains the adventures, which range from levels 1-10, while the accompanying Player's Guide includes new player options such as subclasses, spells, and more.

Matthan

Explorer
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to back this one. I love Kobold's stuff and I've backed all of their prior 5e kickstarters, but the lack of a PDF option is killing this one for me. I didn't realize how important that option was for me until it wasn't there. I use physical books to read at home, but I use the PDFs to be able to prep and run from my phone. I don't take books out of my house. I even bought a decent tablet just for reading my PDFs.

I run PbP games over Discord and I can update everything from my phone no matter where I am as long as I have the PDF. I can't access Roll20 on my phone (maybe they have a paid option for that, but it's not something that I'm interested in for one product) and I don't think FG meets that need either.

I appreciate their desire to meet a need in the VTT market. I just wish that they didn't abandon me as a customer to do it. I know I'm an outlier and presumably the VTT market is massive for them to make this leap. I just hate that they didn't even bother to poll their customers. I've backed all of their 5e kickstarters. I back their Patreon. I would have happily filled out a survey on how I use their products and what I want to see from them to help them get some data instead of them launching a product to test the waters.

Rhylthar

Explorer
Same here.

And the really high shipping costs to Germany. I know shipping is quite expensive but I backed the Creature Codex and the shipping costs were a lot smaller than at this one.

Matthan

Explorer
I filled out that survey this morning. I wish it had a little nuance to it, but at least someone is doing something to try to get some data.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I love Kobold, and I really wanted to buy this.....but I use PDFs a lot. I prefer to read the print, and print out the parts I need for table play. It's a lot easier to use individual pages at the table than giant books......

I used Fantasy Grounds for a bit, but I am not gaming remotely now, and have no interest in a VTT version of any of this. I prefer not to pay for the tool that allows me to read something.....for one reason.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Yeah, a real head scratcher to NOT offer PDF.

Maybe they'll turn it around and offer it as a stretch goal or after the fact.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Was the creature originally called a "Briar Bully"?

See the Multiattack last line, "...and the brier bully uses it's Thorny Grapple..", and under Entangle it mentions Brian Bullies as well. A bit of proofing needed on this one.

Marc Radle

Legend
Quite possibly ...

This is mostly an early mock up to give folks a feel for the overall page look, etc. The final product will have gone through MANY more rounds of editing, proofing, etc.!

Was the creature originally called a "Briar Bully"?

See the Multiattack last line, "...and the brier bully uses it's Thorny Grapple..", and under Entangle it mentions Brian Bullies as well. A bit of proofing needed on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Does the book have no fluff description for the monsters? Why is this creature even an undead? What is it? How would a DM typically use it in a scenario? What is it's motivation? Etc..

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases