News Digest: Evil Hat Scales Back Release Schedule, D&D Errata Announced, Star Trek Adventures: DS9,

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Evil Hat scaling back release schedule and lays off employees, Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition errata details announced, Deep Space Nine gets some love from Star Trek Adventures, and more!
Evil Hat Productions announced a large scaling back of their product offering for the near future. After a financial review and examining sales for their product lines, the FATE publisher is postponing or cancelling several projects and is laying off staff. Carrie Harris (Head of Marketing), Chris Hanrahan (Head of Business Development), and Brian Patterson (Art Director) will all be parting ways with the company, the first two at the end of October and Patterson at the end of the year. Most of their non-roleplaying projects are officially on hiatus for further development with the exception of Channel A, which just completed a Kickstarter. FATE-related properties are still on the schedule for 2019 along with Improv for Gamers and For the Queen. However, the Cinder Spires card game (based on the Jim Butcher steampunk novel series and intended to be a sister game to The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game) is cancelled along with the Fate City Toolkit and Fate Infiltration Toolkit, while Fate Space Toolkit is also on hiatus following an art order. A full list of the current status of various projects is available on the Evil Hat website.

The long-awaited errata for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is on its way soon, according to a tweet from Jeremy Crawford. In the tweet, Crawford states:

Updated errata documents for the "Player's Handbook," "Dungeon Master's Guide," and "Monster Manual" will be released within the next month or so to coincide with the release of the core book gift set, which includes the latest corrections.

The gift set referenced is the previously announced D&D Core Rules Gift Set which releases on November 13 to mass market and November 2 to Play Network game stores, containing all three core rulebooks plus DM screen in a slipcase for a retail price of $169.95 in both a standard edition (the same as the currently-available versions with the new errata incorporated) and exclusive limited edition with cover art from the previous limited edition hardcover and exclusive DM screen art.

I may have to finally break down at get a group together for Star Trek Adventures now that my favorite Star Trek series is fully supported with the new Star Trek Adventures: Deep Space Nine Characters PDF supplement. It’s short, only eighteen pages, but includes full stats for Capt. Benjamin Sisko, Major Kira Nerys, Lt. Jadzia Dax, Dr. Julian Bashir, Constable Odo, Lt. Commander Worf, Chief Miles O’Brien, Quark, and Elim Garak plus rules for two new alien species as player character races: Ferengi and Changelings. The Jadzia Dax listing in particular raises some questions as Jadzia Dax was promoted to Lt. Commander at the start of Season 4 (before Worf joined the crew of DS9), while Sisko was promoted to Captain in the last episode of Season 3. There’s also no mention of Ezri, the host of the Dax symbiont in Season 7. The artwork also uses the grey-and-black uniforms that were introduced in Season 5. Sorry, but I warned you this was my favorite of the Star Trek shows. This release follows releases for similar character packs for Star Trek original series and Star Trek: The Next Generation, though neither of those included new playable races.

While the popular Android: Netrunner living card game may be gone, the Android universe that Fantasy Flight created for the game will continue with Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk, a campaign setting for the Genesys System. Originally created to replace the Cyberpunk 2020 theme of the original Netrunner CCG from Wizards of the Coast, the Android universe has expanded into other games along with fiction series. The 256-page book will have a retail price of $49.95, but is still currently in development with no confirmed release date. The book will require the core rulebook of the generic Geneysis RPG in order to play.

Warhammer 40K fans will have to watch their wallets more than normal as a lot of new products just went up for pre-order. The two-army skirmish pack Wake the Dead features a 40-page rulebook, datasheets, and miniatures for Ultramarines and Aeldari. Four new Kill Team expansions are also available, two starter sets, one for the T’au Empire and another for the Necrons, along with an expansion and custom dice set for each faction as well as a new Walls of Martyrs environment expansion. There are also three new fiction books: An anthology titled Inferno! #1 (Tales from the Worlds of Warhammer), Imperator: Wrath of the Omnissiah by Gav Thrope, and Legacy of Dorn by Mike Lee. All of these products release on October 6.

Before the new iteration of White Wolf, before even Onyx Path, there was the original White Wolf Publishing, arguably the second largest RPG publisher of the 1990s following TSR itself. And now Humble Bundle has a collection of some of the best releases of this company’s marquee title, Vampire: The Masquerade. At the $1 level, you get the Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition, Guide to the Camarilla, Counsel of Primogen, Time of Thin Blood, and more before you even step up to the $8 level to get Guide to the Sabbat, Children of the Night, The Inquisition, and five Humble-exclusive digital cards for the Vampire: the Eternal Struggle collectible card game and more books, with the top level also getting Storyteller’s Handbook Revised, Ghouls: Fatal Addiction, Succubus Club: Dead Man’s Party, and more with a total of 20 digital game books, novels, and adventures worth $252 purchased separately. This bundle benefits the UN Refugee Agency and runs until Wednesday, October 17.

The title alone on this will sell you on this Kickstarter: Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Mythos for 5e. Yes, that is the co-creator of the original Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game creating an over 400 page sourcebook for 5th Edition focusing on the Lovecraftian mythos with over 100 stat blocks, new rules for encountering the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods, four new player races, character options, full-color art, and of course…custom insanity rules. A $19 pledge gets you the PDF, while a $49 pledge gets you the hardcover and $100 for a limited edition (there are only about 30 left at the time of writing) green leather bound edition signed by Petersen. This project is fully-funded and runs until Monday, October 22.

An interesting product that seems built for the 5e era, Adventure Kit: Shadows Over Driftchapel is a rather unique product that’s a modular adventure. This is less a plotted-out, pre-written adventure and more a collection of “we did the game prep for you” kits that can be assembled to create a full adventure on its own, or dropped into other adventures to flesh them out. It’s also designed specifically to be used on-the-fly so you don’t have to slow down when the players go off the rails. This particular adventure kit is inspired by Victorian and Colonial era fantasy with shades of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, with ancient horrors rooted in the very fabric of the coastal town of Driftchapel. The PDF is available for a $12 pledge, the softcover for $25, and a full library of Absolute Tabletop PDFs added on for $55. This project is fully-funded, but you’ll need to hurry as it ends on Sunday, October 7.

For something a bit different, we have The Pelion Report for Olympus Inc., a Savage Worlds setting. This setting book for the Olympus Inc. setting is about the Greek pantheon of gods after being thrown out of Olympus by the Titans, forcing them to get real jobs. In the modern day, they’ve become major movers and shakers in the corporate world and engage in a proxy war against the Titans in secret from “sleepers”, or normal mortals. The Pelion Report adds new Paragon bloodlines and demihuman bloodlines along with new edges, hindrances, NPCs, and more. You can get a PDF of the Pelion Report for a $10 pledge, a softcover for $35, and a hardcover for $45 with the core Olympus Inc. setting book available as add-ons of $10 for PDF, $20 for softcover, and $40 for hardcover. This project is just shy of its funding goal, but still has until Tuesday, October 9 to make it to its $4000 goal.

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.comand you can get more discussion of the week’s news on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk every week. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where I’m going to announce some test streams for my new layout on Twitch as I get into the spirit of things to stream Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube featuring videos on gaming history and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Aldarc

Legend
It's a shame to hear about the hardships at Evil Hat, but I do think that they had been over-extending themselves over the past year or so.

Matt S1

Villager
They need to make the ranger fixes official and move it from unearthed arcana into the PHB before I'm ready to drop money on a collector's edition. Hopefully they will do that for a leather bound edition of the PHB. That I would buy.

dave2008

Legend
I didn't realize the core rules gift set would include new errata. The takes it from a maybe to a probable buy for me. I really like the special edition covers too.

dave2008

Legend
They need to make the ranger fixes official and move it from unearthed arcana into the PHB before I'm ready to drop money on a collector's edition. Hopefully they will do that for a leather bound edition of the PHB. That I would buy.

Didn't they recently say that are not revising the ranger?

CapnZapp

Legend
Didn't you hear? They tweeted out that you loved the PHB Ranger all along, and that you don't need more rules for animal companions!

<heavy sarcasm>

dave2008

Legend
Wow! I just checked out the 5e Cthulhu kickstarter and the preview PDF was great - it sold me! It also helps that you get the PDF as soon as the Kickstarter campaign is over (in 18 days).

hutchback

Explorer
Sad news about Evil Hat indeed. Those are some talented people who will most certainly land on their feet. I hope the changes are enough to turn the company's fortune around.

Abstruse

Legend
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/1023352291837935616?lang=en

Pretty much. Whether it actually didn't score well (the revision), or it's just too complicated to change them out, looks like the revision, or any revision, just won't be happening.
The good news is that there's at least the semi-official update through Unearthed Arcana and, unless you're playing Adventure League, there's no Game Police to kick down your door to arrest you for not sticking to RAW. And a lot more DMs seem to be willing to use non-official content these days as there's an entire generation who weren't scarred by the D20 System OGL glut of broken third-party sourcebooks.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases