Robert J. Schwalb To Launch D&D Imprint

Robert Schwalb, who you may know from previous titles such as Dungeons & Dragons Editions 3-5, Shadow of the Demon Lord, and, indeed, the upcoming Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD, is making a return to D&D with his own third party imprint, Max Press (named after his cat).

Robert Schwalb, who you may know from previous titles such as Dungeons & Dragons Editions 3-5, Shadow of the Demon Lord, and, indeed, the upcoming Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD, is making a return to D&D with his own third party imprint, Max Press (named after his cat).

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 13.52.11.png

From the announcement:

For the last three years, I focused on creating and expanding the first roleplaying game from my company, Shadow of the Demon Lord and I’ve managed to publish over 170 titles, aided and abetted by some of the best writers, editors, proofreaders, graphic designers, and artists in the business. I intend to continue to support this game with additional releases by adding titles to the growing lines of Monstrous Pages, Lands in Shadow, and other popular series. Plus, we’re going live with Occult Philosophy as a Kickstarter campaign in November. So rest assured, Shadow of the Demon Lord is here to stay. I have more stories, more options, and more bizarre, mind-blasting content for you and should for years to come.
[h=3]D&D Land[/h]Before I launched my company and the game many of you have come to love, I worked as a game designer for Wizards of the Coast. You can find my contributions in three editions of Dungeons & Dragons such as Elder Evils and Tome of Magic for 3rd edition, countless books and articles for 4th edition, and in the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual of 5th edition, not to mention Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, and the forthcoming Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica. I have dabbled in Greyhawk, explored the wastelands of Athas, walked the tortured lands of Faerûn, and hung a shingle in Eberron. Heck, I even played around in Gamma World for a bit. There’s D&D in my DNA and the game will always have a place in my heart.

[h=3]Putting in a Toe[/h]For the last year or so, I’ve been thinking about making an unofficial return to Dungeons & Dragons. Yes, I have continued to contribute to the game here and there, but banging around in my head are ideas that might never see publication in an official rulebook. Thanks to the Open Gaming License, I don’t have to wait for the perfect project on which to foist my sinister designs; I can publish them myself.
[h=3]Bor Bwalsch and Other Horrors[/h]Under the Max Press imprint, Schwalb Entertainment will publish a series of short, focused supplements to add a bit of gloom to the otherwise sunny and upbeat worlds of D&D. Starting with the Blasphemies of Bor Bwalsch, which add more than twenty wicked spells to the game, Max Press will continue by producing new options for the various character classes and find other ways to inject a dose of darkness into your games. Whether you want to play a character who walks in the shadows, binds demons to your dark will, or commune with alien entities of staggering power lurking just beyond the bounds of reality, Max Press has what you need. And if you’re a GM looking to spice up your games with a few nasty surprises Max Press promises to deliver the goods.

guachi

Hero
Cool!

He signed my PHB at Dragon Con. Then my PHB fell apart.

From the two panels I saw him at the seemed to have extensive game design experience

Barantor

Explorer
Cool!

From the two panels I saw him at the seemed to have extensive game design experience

You can still get those replaced btw, though it won't replace the signature. I took my falling apart PHB and put it in a 3 wing binder.

Kite474

Explorer
Oh hell yes! Im down for anything Rob makes!

Cool!

The powers of The Demon Lord touch all things... Even your PHB

Brodie

Explorer
Oh man... I love SotDL and the 5E stuff I'm seen from him (that I know he did, like one of the Unearthed Arcana installments). Now he's bringing his style to 5E...?

whenever I run D&D, I'm a stickler and make sure my players stick to official stuff. I've had one friend that has tried to use things from the unofficial 'Book of Erotic Fantasy.' Because of his character (usually female) concept. But this stuff... Yeah, I'll allow it since I'd likely use it and build a campaign around it.

Remove ads

Remove ads