Ravnica Table of Contents
  • Ravnica Table of Contents & More

Straight from Amazon are not only Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica's tablet of contents, but also a double page spread featuring the introduction of character creation!

Races: Centaur, minotaur, simic hybrid, and vadalken races.
    Subclasses: Clerics of order, druids of spores.

60-pages on the guild
    24-pages on the city/world
    10-pages of magic items
    70-pages of NPCs and monsters.

The focus is really on the Guilds as the defining feature, which makes some sense. But likely means that details of the setting unrelated to the Guild might be sparse, likely little more than has been seen in the various existing Planeshift PDF products. It's almost a monster & Guild book more akin to Volo's Guide to Monsters with a focus on Guild lore rather than monster lore.

The book also appears to be in the range of 256-pages, which is larger than the shipping weight previously implied. I had almost been expecting a svelte 160-page product.

Comments 307 Comments
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
      Well, that's just wrong. Greyhawk set out a world shaped by religious and political conflict from a wargamer perspective. Dragonlance is a setting defined by the Lakhesis/Paladine conflict, which informs every aspect of the world. Mystara is a totally gonzo "this is here, that is there, don't ask why" kind of setting, a kitchen sink where none of the plates or bowls are piled on top of one another but nestle edge to edge in a sort of fairytale kingdom tapestry.
      If they are so different, why didthe FR ate them up? Why are the more different ones like Dark Sun, Planescape and Spelljammer more requested when asking WotC for new settings?

[quote]The Forgotten Realms is a "we have everything" cataclysm-of-the-week hot mess of a setting that doesn't do any of those elements as well as the settings defined by them, but takes a half-assed stab at doing all of those things and then tries to sell you on variety.[quote]The FR weren't that originally. And that is why they ate up the other medieval settings.

But the more I think about the guilds, the more I think of WotC's RPGsport/streaming/competition thing they want to do. Guilds can help set up tribes for competitive play and people get emotionally invested in tribes. Gryffindor vs Slytherin, I mean the Azorius Senate vs the Gruul.

Ravnica comes with pre-baked tribes and because it comes from MtG, so you get a mass of MtG fans for the streaming channel.

Yeah, this is for the streaming thing. D&D gets stiff again in all of this.
      epithet -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      But the more I think about the guilds, the more I think of WotC's RPGsport/streaming/competition thing they want to do. Guilds can help set up tribes for competitive play and people get emotionally invested in tribes. Gryffindor vs Slytherin, I mean the Azorius Senate vs the Gruul.

Ravnica comes with pre-baked tribes and because it comes from MtG, so you get a mass of MtG fans for the streaming channel.

Yeah, this is for the streaming thing. D&D gets stiff again in all of this.
      You're spot-on, obviously. This is nothing but a cross-promotion product to boost YouTube and Twitch streaming advert/sub revenue and collect Magic and D&D players into one marketing pool to shake down for e-sport development. It's clearly not designed to give D&D players something they've been asking for, and it doesn't seem to to be giving Magic players the tie-in mechanics they want, either. Maybe they're crossing the streams of Magic and D&D hoping to create enough new revenue to offset Hasbro's disappointment in the Star Wars toy line.
      Paul Farquhar -
      I want what is advertized. MtG in D&D.
      Quote or it didn't happen.

This was not and is not what was advertised.
      Marandahir -
      Do we know if we're going to get "The Art of Magic: The Gathering – Ravnica"?

If so, that would probably fill in people's need for a true gazeteer of lore to go alongside this crunchy campaign book.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Marandahir View Post
      Do we know if we're going to get "The Art of Magic: The Gathering – Ravnica"?

If so, that would probably fill in people's need for a true gazeteer of lore to go alongside this crunchy campaign book.
      Yup, it is coming early in the New Year.
      Parmandur -
      They've made it very clear from literally Day One, this is not a Magic: the Gathering book. It is a D&D book, about Ravnica as a setting.

Comparing Ravnica to Planescape is very shallow: both have a city, and factions. Neither the city, the factions nor the genre of story involved is similar. It's like saying Star Wars is basically just Julius Cesar's Gallic Wars, because both have swords and an Empire.
      Parmandur -
      You're spot-on, obviously. This is nothing but a cross-promotion product to boost YouTube and Twitch streaming advert/sub revenue and collect Magic and D&D players into one marketing pool to shake down for e-sport development. It's clearly not designed to give D&D players something they've been asking for, and it doesn't seem to to be giving Magic players the tie-in mechanics they want, either. Maybe they're crossing the streams of Magic and D&D hoping to create enough new revenue to offset Hasbro's disappointment in the Star Wars toy line.
      Why can't it be both...?
      Rossbert -
      I like Ravnica as a setting, though I prefer it as an isolated world with Guildpact intact instead of the later meta narrative.

A world that has magically bound a bunch of rivals into a symbiotic relationship to prevent the destruction of the world is rife for lots of different plots even before you add in the side-effects of various ventures. It does end up with a little bit of an Ebberron feel as a thought experiment, just taken up to a new level.
      R_Chance -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      From recycling parts of it for home brew perspective, many of the monsters in Ravnica and even some NPCs should be of value, the subclasses and PC races might be as well for your players. There is supposed to be a ton of maps, many of which should be repurposable for other settings, some of the spell stuff might be useful, and the rejigged way they use backgrounds and renown might make for good inspiration. In fact the Guilds themselves could be repurposed. Orzhov turns into a corrupt Kingdom or Theocracy that used to be good, Simic becomes a Eco friendly Magocracy, Selysnia becomes a Theocratic Communist stat, Boros becomes a fantasy Roman Empire or Knights Templar style Knight Order/Nation, Izzet Magitech University, Dimir the Kingdom of a Skull Lord in the Shadowfell or a Thieves Guild.

So I can see it as being very useful for people who want to poach elements and inspiration from it.
      Good point. I just have to weigh the useful material against the price. I suspect I would be picking up more spells, subclasses and the like rather than organizations (which my game has in plenty already). We'll see.
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
      Quote or it didn't happen.

This was not and is not what was advertised.
      I'm glad to be the first one to tell you Ravnica is in the MtG universe and that MtG has had a few blocks set on Ravnica since then. Welcome to 2005!
      Kramodlog -
      And that is even more terrible than just wasting an opportunity to mix D&D and MtG.

Hasbro trying to milk D&D, a game they do not understand, resulted in the 4e debacle. 4e really hurt the D&D brand and even managed to get it shelved for 2 years.

What a waste 5e is turning out to be.
      Parmandur -
      I'm glad to be the first one to tell you Ravnica is in the MtG universe and that MtG has had a few blocks set on Ravnica since then. Welcome to 2005!
      Yet they have been clear from word go that this book is not a Magic book at all. No advertisement to the contrary, unless you have seen something I haven't.
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Yet they have been clear from word go that this book is not a Magic book at all. No advertisement to the contrary, unless you have seen something I haven't.
      I know I haven't heard anything to the contrary. This is a MtG setting converted to DnD, not MtG converted to DnD. People might want the latter but this was never touted as such. I think it's going to be great, MtG has some incredible worlds that are just perfect for conversion to DnD, it's why I like the planeshift documents so much. I've even started a conversion of Theros to DnD using information on the MtG website.
      flametitan -
      Having not followed mtg, a part of me is still wondering as a player, "Why play in Ravnica?"

Is it because it's a city that covers the world? If so, what does having it span the entire world offer that playing an urban game in a regular city doesn't? It is a Metropolis style city, a Gotham style city? Is it multiple different cities depending on where you go?
      Is it because of the guilds? If so, what do the guilds offer that makes them different from feuding factions in other settings? Do the factions have to be in Ravnica to be effective, or could they stand on their own, divorced from Ravnica?

For all the problems with Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, it does an excellent job telling you why you'd want to play in Eberron.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by flametitan View Post
      Having not followed mtg, a part of me is still wondering as a player, "Why play in Ravnica?"

Is it because it's a city that covers the world? If so, what does having it span the entire world offer that playing an urban game in a regular city doesn't? It is a Metropolis style city, a Gotham style city? Is it multiple different cities depending on where you go?
      Is it because of the guilds? If so, what do the guilds offer that makes them different from feuding factions in other settings? Do the factions have to be in Ravnica to be effective, or could they stand on their own, divorced from Ravnica?

For all the problems with Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, it does an excellent job telling you why you'd want to play in Eberron.
      It's the Guilds, yes. Their interlocking, pseudo-Cyberpunk web of relationships is a different setting for D&D.

Honestly, I don't expect to run or play in Ravnica anytime soon (though I have some thoughts percolating about retooling Dead in Thay from TftYP for Ravnica). But I am interested in the fluff, the player options and the monsters. The procedural generation tools can have definite use as well.
      gyor -
      For those that want a Planeswalkers class with colour mana, Loyalty Counters, and spell point casting and so on, I'm betting that such a class will quickly appear on DMSGUILD after Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is published by a fan. I know that is not as satisfying as an official version, but perhaps its a silver lining.
      Azzy -
      Really, I would have preferred Zendikar, but whatever.
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
      Really, I would have preferred Zendikar, but whatever.
      Zendikar is basically DnD in MtG, though I guess it was different enough to warrant a setting book outside of a planeshift document or maybe it wasn't chosen because it has a planeshift document.
      SkidAce -
      What a waste 5e is turning out to be.
      Really?

They could put out HORRIBLE settings for the next five years, and we (my group and everyone I anecdotally know) would still have fun and play 5th edition.

I understood (didn't agree) your distaste for Ravnica, but 5e being a waste I do not understand.
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Yes. I've seen Ravnica as part of the MtG universe since 2005. True story. It is, in part, why they used it instead of some new setting build from scratch. If you can't wrap you hear around Ravnica being part of the MtG universe, I can't help you and you'll just have to live in denial.
    Comments Leave Comment