New Ravnica Race and Guild Details Revealed

As part of their Extra Life 2018 stream, members of WotC's Magic the Gathering team played through the introductory 1st level adventure Krenko’s Way included in the Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica. Some new race details were revealed along with new information about how the Guilds impact character creation.

FrZIffgE8C.jpg

• The DM reviewed the pre-generated characters they would be using for the adventure including each character’s racial abilities which included changes from the UA versions we have already seen.
  • The first character was an Azorius vedalken wizard. The vedalken has Vedalken Dispassion and Tireless Precision which sounded like the UA versions. It also has the feature Partially Amphibious. The DM said that Vedalken have a membrane-like skin that they can breathe through. You can breathe underwater for up to an hour and it refreshes on a long rest.
  • The DM went on to say that in Ravnica your guild choice replaces your Background choice. As a member of the Azorius the wizard had the feature Azorius Functionary which grants an ability called Legal Authority that allows you to enforce the laws of Ravnica. Showing your Azorius insignia will allow you an audience with whoever you want. “Let’s you get in the door.”
  • The second character was a Selesnyan loxodon paladin. I am a little uncertain but it sounded like the Selesnya Initiate feature grants you the Selesnya Conclave ability. You can request shelter and aid for yourself and your companions from your guild as well as a place to rest and heal. Selesnya will also shield you from the law if there is a dispute.
  • As a loxodon he had Powerful Build which is not changed from the UA version. He also had Loxodon Serenity which is a change from the UA Loxodon Bravery. Now the loxodon has advantage on saving throws against being charmed and frightened (not just frightened). I couldn’t tell if Natural Armor was changed or he was just giving the player an abbreviated description so he didn’t have to go into the math. Keen Smell seemed to be the same.
  • The loxodon has a new feature: Trunk. They can use it to lift, drop, push, or pull creatures or objects. You can open/close doors or containers or grapple someone. You make a strike with it. It’s reach is 5ft and you can lift up to 75lbs.
  • The third character was a Rakdos goblin bard. Goblins tend to be chaotic, are Small size and have Darkvision 60ft. They have the feature Fury of the Small. Whenever you damage a creature with a spell or an attack and they are at least one size larger you can deal an extra point of damage that scales with your level. So level 1 is point. Refreshes after short or long rest. They also have Nimble Escape: Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on your turn.
  • The goblin had the Rakdos Cultist feature. You have a Fearsome Reputation. People give you a wide berth. They don’t want to draw your anger or ridicule. You can get away with minor criminal offenses especially if no legal authority witnessed it.
  • The party also had an Izzet goblin sorcerer. The Izzet feature was Urban Infrastructure. You have basic knowledge of buildings and how they’re built and you can get blueprints to structures. Izzet have a huge library of them.
  • In Ravnica you roll for personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws but from tables from your Guild.
  • New for Ravnica is that each character starts with contacts. Each guild has their own list of contacts that you roll off of. Or create on your own. You roll for two contacts within the guild. One is an ally and one is a rival. You also roll for one contact outside of the guild (usually an ally).

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Lol. A character that enforces the law and one who breaks it in the group. Years of harmonieux play ahead.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Is there anyone actually looking forward to the D&D/MtG crossover? I am having a hard time even feigning interest. The MtG setting was always just a backdrop for a card game and there are a ton of other settings I would rather see converted to 5e. It just seems like a decision made by some Hasbro executive sitting in a boardroom "MtG is a game....D&D is a game..."

Ymdar

Explorer
Me too. Actually a new setting with such a heavy emphasis on planeswalkers might invigorate high level characters players have lying around.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Is there anyone actually looking forward to the D&D/MtG crossover?

Myself as well. Played MtG in the late 90s, but never paid attention to the worlds. I'm happy to see some of the creativity in the background behind the game coming to life as a D&D setting.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I am very much looking forward to this book, though some of the previews indicate Ravnica is going to be presented without a connection to the planeswalking features that suffuse M:tG. Still, I'm planning on doing what I can to incorporate the massive city into the wider setting of the Infinite Planes. So far, I like the hooks and story behind the guilds of Ravnica more than the factions of Sigil, and I've got the framework for a tier 3 adventure introducing Ravnica rattling around that I hope to get fleshed out after the book drops. Exciting!

maceo

Explorer
I’m also interested in this setting. Even though I have never played Magic, I did pick up a few of the Art of Magic setting books for inspiration and liked what I saw. When Ravnica was announced I spent some time looking through the art in the cards, reading the flavor text, and finding out a little more about the setting. I suppose if someone isn’t interested at all they wouldn’t do those things but the more I learned the more interested I got. I think the guilds offer some interesting concepts like the Orzhov contracts that force indebted people to serve them as ghosts after they die or the sick and twisted Rakdos circuses.

For me it also offers some great settings that fit a “post-apocalyptic” vibe. Players exploring a swamp that isn’t outdoors but is instead a vine covered, rubble filled, sub basement of a long abandoned building or wastelands of collapsed structures and wandering feral raiders and experiments gone wrong.

I just think you can go a lot of different directions with it and I like that but that’s just my two cents.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases