D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC's Nathan Stewart, while speaking on a Twitch stream, said "Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book... A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting." No real details yet, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer.

spelljammer-logo1.jpg

We don't know what it is, but we do know it's not Spelljammer!

So far WotC has based most adventures in the Forgotten Realms, with one set in Ravenloft, home of the vampire Strahd. They've also released a beta version of the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron in PDF, and a hardcover of Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, a D&D version of a Magic the Gathering setting, is due next week.

We do know it's not a new setting. Nathan Stewart confirmed there were no plans for a new setting given the number of settings WotC already owns and has not yet used for 5E. Of course, Stewart has enjoyed trolling fans (his words!) on Twitter in the past.

WotC president Chris Cocks indicated last week that we should expect more Magic the Gathering crossovers, but also hinted at "classic worlds from the past and new worlds that are still to be created."

Attachments

• spelljammer-logo1.jpg
    spelljammer-logo1.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 35,549

Parmandur

Book-Friend
IIRC they also said to expect more D&D+M:tG crossovers.

True, but that could go either way. They might do an Eberron hardcover (which would explain why they have spent so much of their playtest efforts on Eberron crunch), and in Magic do an Eberron block.

Though it could be whatever next setting Magic does, assuming that isn't a D&D setting in Magic. We'll see, but at least we have an idea that in D&D we will have one hardcover AP and one hardcover setting book coming next year, at least.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
"A book that we have not created."

Um... what?

So it'll be a third-party book, or...? I don't understand this. :confused:

True, but that could go either way. They might do an Eberron hardcover (which would explain why they have spent so much of their playtest efforts on Eberron crunch), and in Magic do an Eberron block.

Though it could be whatever next setting Magic does, assuming that isn't a D&D setting in Magic. We'll see, but at least we have an idea that in D&D we will have one hardcover AP and one hardcover setting book coming next year, at least.

An Eberron hardcover paired with a Eberron card set for Magic would be fun! If it is another Magic setting, my hope would be for Theros.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"A book that we have not created."

Um... what?

So it'll be a third-party book, or...? I don't understand this. :confused:

Probably a slip of the tongue, given the nature of streaming. Hard to say what he really meant: maybe "a book that we have not revealed" or somethign along those lines.

G

Guest 6801328

The only Wizards setting I would like to see developed is Ravenloft. Absolutely zero interest in any of the others.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
From zero settings to a flood? What happened to cannabilization? It is such a weird 180 and contradicts what we were told about the business.

And yes, I use to complain about the lack of setting. I'm not complaining about their sudden increase in number in setting books. I'm wondering why the change in strategy. I do complain about the lack of campain setting info in the setting books though.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases