Waterdeep: Dungeon Of The Mad Mage Preview Roundup!
  • Waterdeep: Dungeon Of The Mad Mage Preview Roundup!


    As the release of Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage closes in (Friday!), here's a quick roundup of all the previews which have snuck out of WotC HQ over the last few weeks!



    • Take a peek at these images from Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, as featured on Fantasy Grounds.
    • There is the start of level 19 from Waterdeep: DotMM. It involves a crashed Spelljammer, where the crew is hiding out in an ooze-filled cavern to escape their hungry mindflayer captain. It is for 4 15-level PCs, who should be 16th-level if they don't become ooze or mindflayer food. Mindflayers and oozes are like peanut butter and jelly that eats you.
    • WotC's Nathan Stewart has shared another preview of Dungeon of the Mad Mage as part of his Extra Life charity fundraising efforts. This is the introduction to Level 15, the Obstacle Course.
    • Issue 22 of Dragon+, WotC online house magazine, is available, and includes information about the upcoming Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
    • WotC's Nathan Stewart has shared two pages from the overview of the upcoming adventure, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, as a reward tier for his Extra Life charity fundraising efforts. This two-page spread shows a section on adventure hooks and starting quests.
    • Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage is due very soon (November 9th), and there have been numerous little previews, screenshots, and more which can be combined for a more comprehensive list of the dungeon levels. Here's the list as best I've been able to make out so far - all but a couple of levels, though some may be misread or misspelled!
    • As part of the Extra Life charity event, WotC's Nathan Stewart has shared page 27 of the upcoming book, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, showing the start of Level 2: Arcane Chambers.
    • With the cryptic line "If you think Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is full of fun surprises, wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage", WotC's Chris Perkins has shared an image of Level 19: Caverns of Ooze from the upcoming sequel to Dragon Heist, due out November 13th.




    Comments 39 Comments
    1. Enevhar Aldarion's Avatar
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      @Morrus

      The 2nd and 8th bullet points are the exact same article.
    1. kenmarable's Avatar
      kenmarable -
      Roll20 Pro and Plus subscribers can get a preview of the entire 1st level.
    1. Jester David's Avatar
      Jester David -
      Due November 13th? Or this Friday, the 9th?
    1. MonsterEnvy's Avatar
      MonsterEnvy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Due November 13th? Or this Friday, the 9th?
      9th
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      The map to level 1 has been shown!!!......and it has 41 numbered locations!!
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      Here is a link to level 1 if you don't have roll 20.......http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/...d-massive.html
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      To quote star trek..... "Jim, by God this dungeon of the mad mage is going to be absolutely awesomely incredible!!!!!!!"
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      There are 34!!!!! Different monsters and NPCs to be encountered in level 1!!!!!.....
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      My opinion......this so far is by far the best presentation of undermountain ever.
    1. LordEntrails's Avatar
      LordEntrails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Due November 13th? Or this Friday, the 9th?
      9th for WPN, 20th for general distribution.
      Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo View Post
      The map to level 1 has been shown!!!......and it has 41 numbered locations!!
      Is that impressive or depressing? You know the original had something like 400 right?
      Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo View Post
      Here is a link to level 1 if you don't have roll 20.......http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/...d-massive.html
      Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo View Post
      There are 34!!!!! Different monsters and NPCs to be encountered in level 1!!!!!.....
      Again, that impresses you? Cuz you know the original had ten times that right?
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      41 FULLY WRITTEN numbered encounters. The originals of which I own were by far mostly left for the DM to populate. EVERY single level of this version is fully written, again a huge difference from the originals.
    1. LordEntrails's Avatar
      LordEntrails -
      Here's one of the earlier edition maps... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R6gmmj18_y...11_MarkRef.jpg
    1. LordEntrails's Avatar
      LordEntrails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo View Post
      41 FULLY WRITTEN numbered encounters. The originals of which I own were by far mostly left for the DM to populate. EVERY single level of this version is fully written, again a huge difference from the originals.
      Absolutely. But 41 isn't sufficient for me. Hence; https://www.facebook.com/UltimateUndermountain
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      I own both ruins of undermountain 1 and 2. 98% of those maps are left to the dms imagination. I much prefer a paid professional to write the encounters.
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      You have an excellent thing there but much of today's players don't want to spend 5 years in a dungeon campaign. This is the next best thing. The largest FULLY written dungeon ever put out by WOTC is what players around me want, this size. I'm old school but my groups want new things after a year.
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      A question.....your facebook page....you fully wrote the encounters for the originals maps? Holy cow!
    1. LordEntrails's Avatar
      LordEntrails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo View Post
      A question.....your facebook page....you fully wrote the encounters for the originals maps? Holy cow!
      Yep, well, I'm proofing the first level now. Don't have the other levels done yet, but have lots drafted. Wanted to wait until DoMM so I can better integrate with their storylines etc.

      Unfortunately I've had trouble converting from the database to text layout (and then PDF) so only the Fantasy Grounds version will be ready Friday. I'd like to have the PDF ready by the 20th, but, that's unlikely
    1. the_redbeard's Avatar
      the_redbeard -
      Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
      Yep, well, I'm proofing the first level now. Don't have the other levels done yet, but have lots drafted. Wanted to wait until DoMM so I can better integrate with their storylines etc.

      Unfortunately I've had trouble converting from the database to text layout (and then PDF) so only the Fantasy Grounds version will be ready Friday. I'd like to have the PDF ready by the 20th, but, that's unlikely
      I'm intrigued. I've been using a spreadsheet to key dungeons, but you're using a database? Please, tell me more.
    1. LordEntrails's Avatar
      LordEntrails -
      Quote Originally Posted by the_redbeard View Post
      I'm intrigued. I've been using a spreadsheet to key dungeons, but you're using a database? Please, tell me more.
      Fantasy Grounds. I put in an overview map, and then pin each location. That pin is a link to a story 'object' which has description, boxed text, links to battlemaps, encounters (NPCs with pre-placement on the battlemaps), treasure parcels with items, all that.

      FG is all a flat database with a nice UI.
    1. Joseph Nardo's Avatar
      Joseph Nardo -
      I just noticed that there are about 64 numbered and lettered locations for the first level. My guess is that the whole thing will have 800
    Comments Leave Comment