D&D 5E Lost Laboratory of Kwalish: A D&D Adventure For Charity

WotC has released a 60-page adventure called Lost Laboratory of Kwalish over on DMs Guild, the proceeds for which go towards the Extra Life charity. "Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!"

WotC has released a 60-page adventure called Lost Laboratory of Kwalish over on DMs Guild, the proceeds for which go towards the Extra Life charity. "Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!"

kwalish.jpg

Here's the full product info:

Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!

For characters 5th-10th level.

This adventure explores two locations within the Barrier Peaks, and includes new monsters, magic items, and spells, plus sci-fi trinkets, random encounters, and even rumors of the area submitted by the player community! Further featuring new art, maps (from Claudio Pozas), and even a cartoon (from Jason Thompson)—as well as the famed suit of powered armor, as edited by Jeremy Crawford on the Dragon+ livestream!

Best of all, all monies that Wizards of the Coast receives from sales of this PDF are donated to Extra Life. Your purchase of this adventure goes to a truly great cause!

About Extra Life:

Extra Life unites thousands of gamers around the world to play games in support of their local Children's Miracle Network Hospital. Since its inception in 2008, Extra Life has raised more than $30 million for sick and injured kids. Sign up today and dedicate a day of play for kids in your community!

Thanks to Cliff for the scoop!

In addition, the adventure features items and spells named after Galder, the character of a fan known as "SomeHairyGuy" who passed recently of cancer.

I'll have to pick this up. Interesting that it describes the crashed ship as a "planar ship" as opposed to a crashed starship. So "planar" as in alternate explanation for the sci fi elements of Barrier Peaks or are they talking Spelljammer / planar as a substitute for it? The Barrier Peaks were in Greyhawk… so did they transplant it to the Realms or just leave it alone in Greyhawk or unmoored from any setting? Then too it's interesting as a comparison to the crashed starship in Blackmoor's "City of the Gods". Or the starships standing on Tekumel's Plane of Towers in EPT. With all of Tekumel pushed into an alternate plane through the use of interstellar drives (maybe) it just sounds... fun. I may never use / run it but it sounds too interesting to pass up. Anyway, they finally found something I can't pass up from DMs Guild and a donation to charity as a bonus :)

*edit* Spelling and added thought about Tekumel etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Other than as an exotic dungeon locale that's pretty much all the ship ever was, so that's cool.

Depends on how you ran with it, but you could certainly treat the ship that way, or elaborate it. I played Barrier Peaks... oh, damn, twenty years ago. Part of it involved dipping into the XCom lore a bit, with the ship being a human ship but highly influenced by alien technology. The campaign's big adversary (later proven to be a frenemy) Keraptis (yes of White Plume Mountain fame) was looking for it and there were some stranded XCom personnel looking for a way out of Oerth. At the time I hadn't played XCom so I didn't actually know the backplot, which was fun. It's hard to describe how overall crazy the scenario was, but the weapons from Barrier Peaks stayed with us for a while essentially as highly limited use magic items even after the XCom group gathered up all the Elerium to power their own ship back.

Remove ads

Remove ads