Poll of the Week: What's the Best Gift For a RPG Player?

We heard about what you would buy a game master for the holidays, so now it's the player's turn!

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My special snowflake answer: whatever they need. Buying dice when they're after a book they can't afford makes no more sense than buying an Eberron supplement for a player who only plays in Greyhawk campaigns. If you play with this person, I'm sure you have e better idea for a gift than random generic junk. And if you don't, you really should pay closer attention.

Of course, this is my approach to gift-giving in general. YMMV.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Also, if you have a budget in mind, or don’t know what the gamers wants that well, a bookstore or Amazon gift card is a great gift, to make the rulebook or other item cheaper for them at least. If it’s budgetary, just tell them with an accompanying note what it’s for, and that will personalize it so much more than a random gift card, because they then know you at least know them well enough to know what they like...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Rulebooks. Hands-down. Nothing lets the David-Player fight back better against the GM-oliath than rules.

Just kidding. Those two are supposed to be in cooperation. Depending on the game.

Next best thing: the Modos RPG rulebook! Nothing else lets a player just kick back and play like this book does. I should know; I wrote it... ;)

aco175

Legend
I picked rulebooks and minis but this depends on the money you plan to spend. I most likely would not spend $50 on a book for the DM, but would spend 20 on some minis he may need/want. I also picked bag/carry container since the one he has is cracked and more minis means a bigger case. I guess an Amazon card would let him pick what he needs to him, but I would not be supporting my FLGS.

Retreater

Legend
If you don't know a gamer's interest, what sort of games they enjoy, what sort of products they need, then just getting a generic "gaming" gift is no solution at all. I, for one, don't need a single extra die. Ever. (Unless it's a unique die for a new game, such as FFG Star Wars.)
We're a picky group.

I prefer to buy my own rulebooks, and my own tastes are possibly quite difficult to fathom. If somebody bought me a game, and I didn't like it, I'd be obliged to keep it because it was a gift.

I'd much rather people buy me paraphenalia like T-Shirts or accessories, where my own tastes are less specific.

Remove ads

Remove ads