Ability Check Criticals

A new article over on EN5ider! Rolling a natural 20 or a natural 1 has never been so much fun! With these ability check critical effects for your 5E game, there are positive and negative tables for physical, social, medicine, knowledge, and arcane style checks. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Herman Lau.

A new article over on EN5ider! Rolling a natural 20 or a natural 1 has never been so much fun! With these ability check critical effects for your 5E game, there are positive and negative tables for physical, social, medicine, knowledge, and arcane style checks. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Herman Lau.

crits.jpg

Recently on EN5ider:

• #242. Ability Check Criticals. Rolling a natural 20 or a natural 1 has never been so much fun! With these ability check critical effects, there are positive and negative tables for physical, social, medicine, knowledge, and arcane style checks. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Herman Lau.
  • #241. Bloodweaver: Tome of Disciplines. This enormous, 15-page article, contains a whole host of disciplines for the Bloodweaver class introduced in EN5ider earlier this week!
  • #240. Bloodweaver: Basic Class Information. Bloodweavers use the primal power coursing through their veins to enhance their own abilities, heal or bolster allies, and debilitate or kill their foes. Many fear them for their control over the substance of life but those that can see past this superstitious dread often find powerful allies.
  • #239. Geomancer: Advanced Class Information. Last month EN5ider, the 5E Patreon, introduced the Geomancer class. In this week's article, Josh Gentry provides you with three new geomancer orders - Order of the Apothecary (mystical healers), Order of the Architect (builders and protectors), and Order of the Rune Knight (wielders of elements in war). Illustrated by Julio Rocha and Tan Ho Sim.
  • #238. ZEITGEIST #5 (Part 2) - Cauldron Born. The conspiracy continues in Flint's dark underbelly. Now at the king’s command it is time for the Royal Homeland Constabulary to rip this threat from its shadowy womb beneath the haunted mountain named Cauldron Hill and thrust it into the light of day.
  • #237. Backstory Feats. An adventurer’s background doesn’t need to end when they begin the adventuring life. The skills learned in an adventurer’s past can grow and develop into lifelong skills throughout their adventuring career. This set of 13 feats uses the 13 core backgrounds as prerequisites and represents the advancement and integration of their old skills with their new experience. The Grifter feat allows a character with the charlatan background to fleece marks like a master, and the Old Salt feat allows a character with the sailor background true mastery over the nautical arts.
  • #236. Expanded Races: Half-Orc. This selection of half-orc subraces includes the barbaric Bloodrager, fiendish Brimskin, deadly Deeplurker, industrious Forgemaker, draconic Scalefang, and the primal Spiritspeaker. By Chris Davies; illustrated by Xanditz.

5ekyu

Hero
Not a fan of empowering the dice with Nat 1/20 additions.

However...

In 5e rules under Ability Checks its stated that any failed ability check can result in some progress (different from overcome the challenge) with setback. So, no roll of 1 is needed to get setbacks like these as long as they also gain a little positive out of it.

A lot of the "Nat 1" criticals here will serve that basic rule just fine without needing any house rule for 1/20 ability checks - so i find this article useful.

Basic Rules - Ability Checks
If the total equals or exceeds the DC, the ability check is a success--the creature overcomes the challenge at hand. Otherwise, it's a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the DM.

Just follow "Your player said what" on tumblr to get a sickening amount of stupid GM rulings when Nat 1s and Nat 20s are rolled for skill checks. Don't need such idiocy statted out.

I know I'm drifting into badwrongfun land here but I don't think you can seduce the Lich Queen just because you rolled a 20 on a persuasion check, once.

5ekyu

Hero
Just follow "Your player said what" on tumblr to get a sickening amount of stupid GM rulings when Nat 1s and Nat 20s are rolled for skill checks. Don't need such idiocy statted out.

I know I'm drifting into badwrongfun land here but I don't think you can seduce the Lich Queen just because you rolled a 20 on a persuasion check, once.

For some reason "seducing the Lich Queen" sounds more like a result of a "some progress with setback" (or NAT 1) to me...

"I will agree to hear out your group's petition tomorrow even though i find it not quite so appealing as to grant it outright. perhaps you might come see me tonight and see if you can make it more "appealing" to me."

:)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

It's definitely a game style, not a case of badwrongfun, but for most games you're right.

Although to be fair, seducing the Lich Queen doesn't mean she isn't just as dangerous to you as before. She is a lich. She is beyond her emotions. She will sacrifice even that which she loves most at the alter of power. She will rip out your heart and feed the power of your death into the dread machine of her ambition even as she grieves for the loss of you.

Seducing the Lich Queen may be possible, and it may even happen quickly and with little real work, if the circumstance is right, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For some reason "seducing the Lich Queen" sounds more like a result of a "some progress with setback" (or NAT 1) to me...

"I will agree to hear out your group's petition tomorrow even though i find it not quite so appealing as to grant it outright. perhaps you might come see me tonight and see if you can make it more "appealing" to me."

:)

Reminds me of this: http://keith-baker.com/erandis-vol-hot-or-not/

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Well the assumption going in is that the DM only called for a roll when there's uncertainty in the result. If the Lich Queen is not interested in seduction then there is no roll. It seems too many DMs allow or call for too many rolls making tables, such as these, overkill. For DMs that strike the right balance there's nothing wrong with introducing some extra fun into the times when the roll is needed.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Well the assumption going in is that the DM only called for a roll when there's uncertainty in the result. If the Lich Queen is not interested in seduction then there is no roll. It seems too many DMs allow or call for too many rolls making tables, such as these, overkill. For DMs that strike the right balance there's nothing wrong with introducing some extra fun into the times when the roll is needed.

Yeah, agreed.

We just started a new group. We have 3 new players, 2 players from previous editions but who have been playing 5e since 2014, and one player who last played 3.5. That last player keeps declaring he's making a ____ roll and grabbing his d20 before the DM says anything. We've only had a couple sessions so I'm sure he will come around, that habit though can be hard to break.

5ekyu

Hero

Within the context of this particular rule suggestion - it explicitly states that unlike hits - no auto-success or failure is given by the 1 and 20. these are additional effects, outside the main thrust of the task at times.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Within the context of this particular rule suggestion - it explicitly states that unlike hits - no auto-success or failure is given by the 1 and 20. these are additional effects, outside the main thrust of the task at times.
Which is entirely your choice within the game that you run. Personally I enjoy critical hits and failures and that's how it's played at my place. No matter how many times you quote the rules.

Remove ads

Remove ads