Review Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, and Ravnica!
  • Review Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, and Ravnica!


    Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!





    Other recent notable books awaiting ratings include Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition, Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory Core Rules, and Masks of Nyarlathotep.

    The system averages ratings to create an overall trending total once a book has 10 or more reviews.
    Comments 105 Comments
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Hoard of the Dragon Queen, easily the worst 5E book and over 4 years old at this point, is #518 among all books right now on Amazon. The Amazon numbers are not historic sales, but current. The Starfinder Core Rules are #6130 in all books.

      The 5E adventures and accessories are moving pretty huge numbers on their own.
      Where do you get the numbers? I thought we only got ranks on Amazon. I would suspect the difference between #1 and 5 isn't that big, but #1 and 500 is huge.
    1. vincegetorix's Avatar
      vincegetorix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      What are they talking about?
      A lot of new DM and players asking question, often answered by ''your DM sucks'' or ''quit this game''. A lot of talk about hexblade dips.

      Also, a lot of links to short videos that makes arbitrary top 5 ranking of stuff.
    1. Prakriti's Avatar
      Prakriti -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      What are they talking about?
      I can't stand the D&D subreddit. It feels like 90% of the posts are "Look, I drew my character!" while the other 10% are "Look, I commissioned an artist to draw my character!" The mods tried to ban these types of posts at one point, but the users revolted and continued to post them anyways.
    1. robus's Avatar
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Prakriti View Post
      I can't stand the D&D subreddit. It feels like 90% of the posts are "Look, I drew my character!" while the other 10% are "Look, I commissioned an artist to draw my character!" The mods tried to ban these types of posts at one point, but the users revolted and continued to post them anyways.
      Reddit seems like a terrible place, it doesn’t help that I find the interface confusing to boot.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      Where do you get the numbers? I thought we only got ranks on Amazon. I would suspect the difference between #1 and 5 isn't that big, but #1 and 500 is huge.
      There are places that analyze what it means: the point is, the 5E books are moving copies. The four year old AP is still selling on Amazon, and I can get it at my local Barnes & Noble or FLGS.
    1. Rhylthar's Avatar
      Rhylthar -
      I made reviews for Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage...but they´re in german and in a german forum . If someone is interested just tell me and I will post the links.
    1. MNblockhead's Avatar
      MNblockhead -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      This is the big issue with adventure reviews IMHO. An adventure that might be a fun read often only reveals its issues when you actually animate it at the table.
      And vice versa. Some well designed adventures are fun to play with innovative challenges, good pacing, good map design, and a nice mix of the pillars of play. But they may not give you a lot of flavor text or read-aloud text, making for dry reading.

      That's why I prefer reviews written by people who have played through it and can articulate what worked well for their group and what didn't -- especially if they can describe the groups preferred play style. I don't read a review for some know-it-all DM taste-master to tell me if an adventure is "good." I want to know if it would be fun for my group to play.

      This is why I'm finding the various "guides to ..." that various folks publish in the DMs Guild to be more useful than most of the reviews I read.
    1. MechaPilot's Avatar
      MechaPilot -
      I haven't had much time to write reviews for the more recent products (I've been doing a lot of job hunting lately), but when I do get around to writing a review for Dragon Heist it'll be titled "Not What You Think It Is."

      I addressed this in a different thread, but when you read the title "Dragon Heist," you expect to be stealing something from a dragon. When you find out the coins are called dragons some might consider that a clever twist. If the adventure was a heist to steal said coins, I might agree with that sentiment (though probably not). However, the adventure isn't even a heist to steal the dragon-coins. When I read the plot and found out the PCs were basically trying to turn the hoard of coins over to the authorities for a reward, the title is either intentionally misleading or is one of the flattest jokes I've heard in years.
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeheartawk View Post
      You've got to figure the enthusiasm for Forgotten Realms products certainly isn't at its zenith given we've already had a bunch of Realms stuff.
      I don't think so at all.

      We're getting Realms products because that setting, by far, is the most popular.

      Plotless megadungeons and mislabeled not-heists on the other hand, might generate low buzz in any setting.
    1. Hussar's Avatar
      Hussar -
      Speak for yourself @CapnZapp. It IS a heist, just that the players aren't the ones heisting. Big deal. Get over it. And a plotless megadungeon is something people have been asking for for YEARS.

      But, as far as my review goes, it'll be a little while. I want to get at least a couple of chapters in before I come back and review. For one, I only own it on Fantasy Grounds which makes reading it ... difficult. But, well, two sessions in, and it's playing very well.

      I'm not sure about other Reddit's, but, the Dragonheist Reddit group is bloody FANTASTIC. Gobs of extra material and advice. Really great stuff. I've already filled out a LOT of the adventure with extra stuff that I've ... errr... been inspired to emulate (as in blatantly steal) ... from other users. There's some great stuff there.
    1. John Lynch2's Avatar
      John Lynch2 -
      Respectfully I disagree that Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a megadungeon. It's not. It's an adventure that spans levels 5-20 that takes place in a megadungeon. But itself is not a megadungeon. The adventure is designed to be played once and precisely once. PCs are expected to clear out each level once and only once as they go on the adventure. I don't know whether or not it has a plot, but it is definitely not a megadungeon.

      As for Dragon Heist, I'm slowly going through it over on this forum because as written the entire adventure is a mess. It's illogical, it's arbitrary, it's hamfisted and confusing. There's some good ideas in there, but the execution is 100% awful. Although as I do rework it I explain what I'm changing and why I'm changing it and how I envision that part of the Forgotten Realms operating.
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      There are places that analyze what it means: the point is, the 5E books are moving copies. The four year old AP is still selling on Amazon, and I can get it at my local Barnes & Noble or FLGS.
      So you do not have the numbers and can't back what you advanced.
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by vincegetorix View Post
      A lot of new DM and players asking question, often answered by ''your DM sucks'' or ''quit this game''. A lot of talk about hexblade dips.

      Also, a lot of links to short videos that makes arbitrary top 5 ranking of stuff.
      So not that different from EW, and thus EW reviews are representative.
    1. vincegetorix's Avatar
      vincegetorix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      So not that different from EW, and thus EW reviews are representative.
      uh...not really. Reddit is the place you go to see character illustrations (mainly anime style) and new DM arguing that a steampunk or post-magic-apocalyptic-no-gods-nor-magic setting is an interesting new concept.

      Enworld is the place I go when I want to see elderly people arguing for 100 pages on important subjects such as:
      - Was the font used in Basic Rules better than the one used in an obscure supplement from 2e edition.
      - The true etymological meaning of a specific term used in a special edition of the fiend folio only available in Djibouti.
      - Were the eyelashes of Gygax longer on its left eye or the right one.

      You see, very different. :P
    1. chibi graz'zt's Avatar
      chibi graz'zt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      I'm fascinated by how the enthousiasm over new DnD books is low right now (my metric is how few people flock to review them nowadays, and how poorly they are rated), but sales of all DnD products are up 30% each years.

      I wonder if books aren't the source of revenues they were and DMsguild and other licenses are driving it.
      D&D has never been more popular, or sold more ;-)
      I see books reviewed just as regularly as before; I recommend you expand your web searches.

      New York times just dropped an article about the ever growing popularity of D&D. Yes, the New York Times.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      So you do not have the numbers and can't back what you advanced.
      I can back my position perfectly well. Do you have numbers that show the adventures are not selling well?
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Lynch2 View Post
      Respectfully I disagree that Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a megadungeon. It's not. It's an adventure that spans levels 5-20 that takes place in a megadungeon. But itself is not a megadungeon. The adventure is designed to be played once and precisely once. PCs are expected to clear out each level once and only once as they go on the adventure. I don't know whether or not it has a plot, but it is definitely not a megadungeon.
      I'm gonna stop you right there...because I can only charitably assume that you have not read the book yet? This is literally the opposite of what is in the book. Each level has advise on what happens if the level is cleared entirely or partially, and what changes might occur. By the definition you seem to be working off of, this is a megadungeon.
    1. chibi graz'zt's Avatar
      chibi graz'zt -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Lynch2 View Post
      Respectfully I disagree that Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a megadungeon. It's not. It's an adventure that spans levels 5-20 that takes place in a megadungeon. But itself is not a megadungeon. The adventure is designed to be played once and precisely once. PCs are expected to clear out each level once and only once as they go on the adventure. I don't know whether or not it has a plot, but it is definitely not a megadungeon.

      As for Dragon Heist, I'm slowly going through it over on this forum because as written the entire adventure is a mess. It's illogical, it's arbitrary, it's hamfisted and confusing. There's some good ideas in there, but the execution is 100% awful. Although as I do rework it I explain what I'm changing and why I'm changing it and how I envision that part of the Forgotten Realms operating.
      Have you actually read it? Its a mega dungeon my friend, and its very much re-playable, in fact that is the whole point of DotMM
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
      Speak for yourself @CapnZapp. It IS a heist, just that the players aren't the ones heisting. Big deal. Get over it. And a plotless megadungeon is something people have been asking for for YEARS.
      That does not change either of two facts: 1) the modules still aren't generating buzz and my main point, 2) this is likely not because they're set in the Realms.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
      That does not change either of two facts: 1) the modules still aren't generating buzz and my main point, 2) this is likely not because they're set in the Realms.
      The Realms, if anything, probably help.

      Dragon Heist has been getting very good reviews, as a rule. While a heist is not laid out per se, there are 18 keyed dungeons in the book (a dungeon is nothing if not a heist waiting to happen), and the possibility of a group of players pulling a heist at some point is fairly high if given free reign.
    Comments Leave Comment