Here Are The 10 Most Anticipated Tabletop RPGs Of 2019!

As I do every year, I recently took nominations for the most anticipated tabletop RPGs for the coming year, and then opened the floor to voting. Previous winners include 13th Age (2013), Star Wars Force & Destiny (2015), Rifts for Savage Worlds (2016), Trudvang Chronicles (2017), and Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition (2018). Who will join their ranks this year? Read on to find out!

10. Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD
I'm somewhat biased, being the publisher of this upcoming game, but I can't say I'm not pleased it made it in at #10! Judge. Jury. Executioner. Play as a Judge of Mega-City One and bust perps, Sov spies, and mutant raiders in this action-packed standalone tabletop roleplaying game, bringing to life the iconic characters and worlds found in the legendary British comic 2000 AD.

top10a.jpg

9. Things from the Flood
Tales From The Loop was a gorgeous, award-winning game which made this list in previous years. The Swedish publisher Fria Ligan is back with a sequel standalone RPG. This game is a bit darker; you play teens in the 1990s, and the stakes are higher.

top12.jpg

8. Changeling the Lost 2nd Edition

A prestige hardcover edition of one of the Chronicles of Darkness core rulebooks.

top11.jpg

7. John Carter of Mars
Kickstarted right back in January, this science-fantasy RPG of planetary romance is based on the worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Pulp action powered by a variant of Modiphius' in-house 2d20 system!

top10.jpg

6. Dune RPG
Another entry from Modiphius, partnering with Gale Force 9, information is sparse on this one. It was announced back in August with a release date of late 2019 as part of GF9's multi-year deal covering the works of Frank Herbert. Image is of the Last Unicorn/WotC Dune RPG from back in 2000.

top7.jpg

5. Eclipse Phase 2nd Edition
The roleplaying game of transhuman survival is back with a new edition from Posthuman Studios. In a universe where death is now meaningless, characters belong to a secret organization which explores new worlds and navigates high-tech criminal cartels. With an estimated delivery date back in 2017, it's now eagerly anticipated for 2019!

top6.jpg

4. The Expanse*
Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine powers the official RPG of James S.A. Corey's series of novels. The solar system is at war at a pivotal time in humanity's history. Martians, Belters, and Earthers struggle for resources and power, but aliens forces are stirring...

top4.jpg

3. Lex Arcana
Romans, mythology, monsters, and more clash in this RPG set in the 5th century AD in an alternative timeline where Rome never fell. This game is 25 years old, published in 1993 in Italy, and brought to the English market via Kickstarter.

top3.jpg

2. Pathfinder 2nd Edition
Let's face it -- you knew this one would be up here, and it needs no introduction! In public playtest now, and slated for a Gen Con 2019 release, this is the second edition of one of the biggest tabletop RPGs in the world. It was a close race between this and the top spot!

top2.jpg

1. Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
A massive half-million dollar Kickstarter, this is the latest edition of the 15-year-old game which powers half the RPGs out there! It was a close contest between this and Pathfinder 2, but this hardcover, 208-page book is the game voted most anticipated for 2019! Savage Worlds tags itself as "Fast! Furious! Fun!" and has shown itself able to run many different genres, from pulp to horror to sci-fi.

top1.jpg

Congratulations to the 10 Most Anticipated Tabletop RPGs of 2019! Same time, same place next year!

PREVIOUS WINNERS OF THE ANNUAL EN WORLD MOST ANTICIPATED TABLETOP RPG OF THE YEAR
113th AgeStar Wars Force & DestinyRifts for Savage WorldsTrudvang ChroniclesVampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition
2NumeneraDeluxe Exalted 3rd EditionMutant Crawl ClassicsTales from the LoopWarhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition
3Star Wars Edge of the EmpireUnified Rolemaster7th Sea 2nd EditionKult: Divinity LostKult: Divinity Lost
4Shadowrun 5th EditionConan Adventures In An Age Undreamed OfConan Adventures In An Age Undreamed OfStar Trek AdventuresForbidden Lands: Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy RPG
5Call of Cthulhu 7th EditionDeluxe Tunnels & TrollsDCC LankhmarConan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed OfRuneQuest: Role-playing in Glorantha
6FireflyBarbarians of Lemuria: Mythic EditionRuneQuest 4StarfinderThe Witcher Roleplaying Game
7Fate CoreFeng Shui 2Torg: EternityThe Witcher Roleplaying GameWarhammer 40,000 Wrath & Glory
8HillfolkFantasy AGEBlue Rose AGECoriolisThe Expanse
9TorchbearerParanoiaParanoiaDelta Green Roleplaying GameLegend of the Five Rings 5th Edition
10-Shadows of the Demon LordDelta GreenAstonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2ENumenera 2: Discovery & Destiny

Items marked with asterisks were also in last year's list.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Question: Wrath & Glory is already out since GenCon 2018, how can it be an anticipated game for 2019?

Ah, good catch. I see it's available on DTRPG. Which is good news for me, since Judge Dredd was hovering at #11 and squeaks in now at #10!

Definitely a sci-fi theme going into 2019, notwithstanding the two juggonauts at the top of the list. Lex Arcana's high ranking is remarkable too.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
What I find fascinating about the current love for The Expanse IP, is that it's literally something out of the 1950s Sci-Fi mags. The more serious stories. Belters vs Mars vs Earth.

You even sort of saw this in the first Buck Rogers RPG from TSR.

imagineGod

Legend
Frank Herbert's Dune is one of the most under-valued Role Playing Games despite the its vast volumes of literature across many novels. :.-(

Congratulations to Modiphius Entertainment for getting the RPG publishing rights to this intellectual property.

I cannot believe that the only version we have had earlier is the super scarce Last Unicorn Games version (what a fitting name too, since it was cancelled).

And for those complaining about Monte Cook's Invisible Sun pricing strategy, even the highest pledge tier on Kickstarter has nothing on the Ebay scalpers, those hoarding the last Dune RPG and expecting ridiculous financial windfall. Probably, only for Vin Diesel if his Fast and Furious income remains high and he steps outside Dungeons and Dragons to dabble in other RPGs.

View attachment 103540

There is also a version being sold on AbeBooks but its cover appears different from the classic above, though it states Last Unicorn Games as publisher.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases