Open Call: Kickstarter's RPG Zine Quest

Kickstarter’s February 2019 initiative is Zine Quest, a Tribute to RPG Zines. Kickstarter is putting a spotlight on tabletop RPGs offering additional exposure while also stating that tabletop roleplaying games are an important component of the crowdfunding community. To encourage that, EN World will cover some of the zines that crowdfund during this program.

[h=3]What is EN World Asking of Publishers?[/h]
To help celebrate this promotion, Sean Hillman and Egg Embry plan to share as many Zine Quest Kickstarters as we can at EN World. If you’re dreaming up a zine for this promotion, please contact Sean (here) or Egg (here) to share any details about your zine so we can help spread the word in February. For more information:

[h=3]What is Kickstarter’s Zine Quest?[/h]
If you launch an RPG zine during the month of February, Kickstarter will help promote your work. For more details, read their announcement here.
[h=3]What is an RPG Zine? [/h]
A DIY photocopied pamphlet that is all RPG and heart. Here are Kickstarter’s guidelines, and here are a few example RPG zines from DriveThruRPG:

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Egg is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

I'm curious to know if this includes pdf. The impression I got was that it is for print only, not even print on demand.

That's a fair question. Based on the guidelines, I believe that you have to offer a physical product but I do not think that precludes you from offering a PDF, or only offering a limited number of physical copies. If we can contact Kickstarter, we'll add this to our list of questions. :)

https://creators.kickstarter.com/zine-quest-rpg-zines-2019/?ref=blog

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share a crowdfunding campaign or a RPG-related job opportunity for a future article, please contact me here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm curious to know if this includes pdf. The impression I got was that it is for print only, not even print on demand.

The info page refers only to printed zines, yeah. It's even more specific than that -- "Zines must be unbound, folded, stapled, or saddle-stitched. (No hard cover or perfect binding allowed.)" No reason that's can't be done via print on demand though.

callinostros,

Sean Hillman and I put your question to Luke Crane (Head of Games @Kickstarter) in our current article. Thanks for asking it. The answer is:

"Digital rewards count, but they still have to be in the format of a zine (no cheating with color interior art!)."

Our interview can be read here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5964-Kickstarter-RPG-Zine-Quest-and-Luke-Burning-Wheel-Crane

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity in a future article or discuss your RPG crowdfunding project,please contact me here.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases