WotC Monster Art Contest Winner Announced
  • WotC Monster Art Contest Winner Announced

WotC held a contest back in October to create art of a new monster, the prize being $5000, a visit to WotC, and their monster becoming a miniature. The winner has just been announced as Will Kalkanis, who created the monster below.

There were also ten runners up which you can see in a slideshow over on SyFy.com. Thanks to Oryzarius for the scoop!

Comments 24 Comments
      castlewise -
      The Sweet Daughter of Halaster is pure nightmare fuel.
      Henry -
      That thing is freakin' hideous. Almost reminds me of one of those eyeless cave fish, or a Giger alien.
      Mercurius -
      Wow. The slideshow makes me think that WotC should pull from fandom more often. My favorite is also the Sweet Daughter...so creepy.
      Bitbrain -
      Looks like the cave troll from the fellowship of the ring film's grandpa . . .

Awesome artwork, by the way.
      Gradine -
      The Sweet Daughter reminds me quite a bit of the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls...
      Hussar -
      Cool stuff. I love the three eyed three headed dog.
      Mercador -
      I see that Dark Souls inspiration in 3 monsters. Really good stuff, take a look at the slide show, worth it.
      Chronos96 -
      Looking through the runner-ups it's obvious why this one was chosen, it has the 5th ed house style feel with the slight brushstroke quality.
      dave2008 -
      I think the 3-headed cyclops dog is my favorite - might have to stat that up. Speaking of which, I know there is to be a mini, but are they going to give this thing stats.
      Orcishnature -
      Mike Mearls with that hat on, very scary...
      Sadras -
      Amazing work by all. Really appreciative they provided the artwork of the other finalists, it allows the tinkerers amongst us to create some new monsters.
      HorusZA -
      Those are brilliant...
      Perhaps a thread is needed to stat them up?
      ad_hoc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chronos96 View Post
      Looking through the runner-ups it's obvious why this one was chosen, it has the 5th ed house style feel with the slight brushstroke quality.
      Yeah this looks like 5e art.

I'm disappointed there are no silly monsters in the runners up.

Everything is grim dark. I like Lovecraftian horrors but there were a lot of them.
      PezlerPolychromatic -
      Mike Mearls looks very street.
      Henry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
      Cool stuff. I love the three eyed three headed dog.
      Cerberclops!
      Henry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
      Wow. The slideshow makes me think that WotC should pull from fandom more often. My favorite is also the Sweet Daughter...so creepy.
      Yeah - All of them are pretty cool, but some of them look like they belong more in a dreamscape than in a dungeon - too "busy" with extra tentacles, hands, etc. Even though it's D&D, nature does tend to stick with four appendages among vertebrates. I think that's what throws me off about some of them. I'd place any of 'em in Lovecraft's Dreamlands in a heartbeat, though.
      Wraith Form -
      I loved most of these illustrations, but I do like the winner the best.

They're all so BIG, too. Can't we see Medium sized monsters?
      DM Dave1 -
      Some real Tome of Beasts level creepiness in these! My eye is seeing some of these monsters as distant cousins of the Astral Dreadnaught and, in one or two cases, thralls of of Zuggtmoy from MToF.
      Plamodu978 -
      What a adorable abominations,
      I think Illustration no.5 is looking great for boss monster.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      She's definitely got a Dark Souls feel. Also, that same sense of sadness that you get from some of the bosses in the series.

They're all pretty cool looking, though the winner is honestly my least favorite of the lot - there are already a ton of ogroid, giant-type beasts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
      The Sweet Daughter reminds me quite a bit of the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls...
    Comments Leave Comment