WorldOfDarkness.com Closing Down?

White Wolf has had a terrible year. As a result, they're issuing apologies, recalling books, changing the management, being absorbed into parent company Paradox, advertising for a new Brand Manager, and now... it looks like they're closing down WorldOfDarkness.com.

wod.png

The message below went out to subscribers of White Wolf's online book reader service. Thanks to Distant Shore for the scoop!

Duz9DgJWoAYYQoZ.jpg-large.jpg

TheDistantSh0re

First Post
First of all. Thank you very much. Never thought I would be mentioned on a En World article.
Regarding the news, I can only say to be really sad to receive the news the day before the site closure.
May be Paradox could show a little more consideration toward the World of Darkness fans.
NZYVKqHg233iUbJ28

This is the only answer I received from Paradox till now: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NZYVKqHg233iUbJ28

Last edited by a moderator:

I recieved my email notice about my subscription cancellation, and subsequent refund (for the back catalogue library) this morning too.

It isn't a surprise - this is what White Wolf being dissolved means. The Onyx Path will continue, with their own business and licences. Not sure what they'll do with with the V5 license while they tailor the content to their own fanbase - but it's there anyway.

For me, however, Helmgast's Kult: Divinity Lost now becomes the default flagbearer for the 'modern horror, aimed at mature audiences' schtick. The new edition is incredible, but considering the hullabaloo with White Wolf this year, I'm hoping it remains a more low key release within the wider RPG community, notwithstanding it's own censorship issues before it's release.

It’s going to be a long, hard road for the game to recover from this year.
Last year V5 was the most anticipated RPG of the year. And now the game is struggling to get its planned releases out, let alone move forward.

It’s going to be a long, hard road for the game to recover from this year.
Last year V5 was the most anticipated RPG of the year. And now the game is struggling to get its planned releases out, let alone move forward.
Flatly, it's not going to recover. The Onyx Path may get a few more supplements out for it, probably via Kickstarter, but don't expect too many records to be broken.

Flatly, it's not going to recover. The Onyx Path may get a few more supplements out for it, probably via Kickstarter, but don't expect too many records to be broken.

It'd be interesting to see if VtM even made it onto the ICv2 charts for this past summer. But apparently that site has decided that info is subscription-only this year.

It'd be interesting to see if VtM even made it onto the ICv2 charts for this past summer. But apparently that site has decided that info is subscription-only this year.

My gut feeling, for all the talk of opprobrium, was that the bottom line for White Wolf was it just didn't sell enough to meet it's targets. I think the core buy in price may have been too high.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Wolf's Facebook page has not posted anything since mid-November when all the apologizing and stuff happened.

White Wolf's Twitter has stayed active, though.

Storyteller's Vault is still going strong too.

In fact, just a day or two ago on Reddit, the folks in charge of the Vault held an AMA and one of the questions asked was when V5 would get added. The official answer was just sometime late in 2019, after more books have been released, but they are expecting it to happen.

Interesting side note from the AMA, they are using the beta-test experiment with DMsGuild for PoD to see if it will also work with the Vault.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases