Epic Monsters: Gremlins (5E)

Epic Monsters has a bit of an odd entry today but click onward to learn about the relatively recently conjured myth of Gremlins!

JPxt7gC3FXD_dlutbvNrBbieuoDqj6MYbpkh-L4soVwOJw3BJaXLS7Xo9dKp8IQDQt7KVToCoaeOnWyNWGvm2iTEBEzRuTzuZLzKL47pZIBqdc70olYUBhm7kmJXWcoQJIoTfsIK

Most of us know about gremlins from the immensely popular 1980s Gremlins movie of the same name but they didn’t start with an old antiquities shop, originating instead with the RAF in the 1920s: the Royal Air Force of England! They are like the cinematic version in that gremlins love causing trouble, although specifically they like to make aircraft malfunction--if you’re thinking of William Shatner screaming about the wing of the plane, you’re talking about a gremlin!

Design Notes: What’s below is a pastiche of the gremlin statblocks I’ve converted for the Zeitgeist adventure path mixed together and tweaked to match what we need for aircraft-sabotaging troublemakers. Although tough and in possession of some potent innately cast spells, ultimately gremlins are fairly weak and best used as bait for a chase sequence, as a surprise obstacle or danger amidst an otherwise standard scene, or to lead a party to something interesting.

Gremlins
Tiny fey, neutral evil

Armor Class
15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 75 (10d4+50)
Speed 35 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
15 (+2)​
19 (+4)​
20 (+5)​
15 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
12 (+1)​

Skills Athletics +4, Deception +5, Perception +6, Stealth +6
Tools thieves’ tools +4, tinker’s tools +4
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Cunning Action (1/Turn). The gremlin can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide or Use Object action, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, or to use thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock.

Innate Spellcasting. The gremlin’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12; +4 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
At will: prestidigitation, shocking grasp
3/day: heat metal, shatter

Magic Resistance. The gremlin has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Quick. The gremlin has advantage on initiative checks.

Siege Monster. The gremlin deals double damage to objects and structures.

Unluck Aura. The gremlin radiates an aura of unluck in a 20-foot radius. Creatures in this area have disadvantage on all d20 rolls. This is a mind-affecting effect that does not work on gremlins. Any creature with an item that grants bonuses via luck (such as a stone of good luck) is immune to the gremlin’s Unluck Aura.

ACTIONS

Magic Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

You live and learn!

I always used to think of 'gremlins' as an Americanism, because of the movie, but didn't realise that they were an RAF term or, following on, popularised by Roald Dahl. I also note, in your link that they were referenced in the cult movie, Heavy Metal - which I'll have to watch again. Good link!

dave2008

Legend
as always thank you for sharing. Though I wouldn't call them "epic," I like what you have created here. My one thought, based on the description, is that the "unluck Aura" sounds like a charm effect, so maybe those immune to the charmed condition shouldn't be affected?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
You live and learn!

I always used to think of 'gremlins' as an Americanism, because of the movie, but didn't realise that they were an RAF term or, following on, popularised by Roald Dahl. I also note, in your link that they were referenced in the cult movie, Heavy Metal - which I'll have to watch again. Good link!

Thank you! I too was surprised by their origins.

as always thank you for sharing. Though I wouldn't call them "epic," I like what you have created here. My one thought, based on the description, is that the "unluck Aura" sounds like a charm effect, so maybe those immune to the charmed condition shouldn't be affected?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unluck Aura was originally written by Thursty I think. Immunity to charm granting immunity to unluck is okay thematically I reckon but ultimately not necessary (aside from being quick, tough little bastards good against objects their whole thing is that aura so I'd recommend against putting any more workarounds into it)

(and thanks for commenting too :D )

Koloth

First Post
The first reference I saw on Gremlins was a Bugs Bunny cartoon I watched as a kid. I think it was made during WWII. Bugs was doing something with US planes and a little gremlin kept messing up the works.

dwayne

Adventurer
I would have put them as goblin kin like fairies are to elves, more of a hindrance to mechanical things of man, liken to Neo-Luddites. Would be a cool concept to add this to a modern fantasy game as to why your car breaks down and find you are being hassled by gremlins, because you didn't pay your elf booky his money. Or a woman who you stood up just took out a contract on you with a Gremlin king to harass you. All kinds of fun irritating things much like fairies can be had with these little guys.

MarkB

Legend
They'd work very well as support monsters. Cast Invisibility on a few (or even one) of them and send them into a camp to perform little sabotages on equipment, untying bow strings, loosening saddles, greasing sword-hilts, tying bootlaces together, with the party having disadvantage on any checks to notice that anything is happening. Then launch an attack, watch the ensuing chaos as the party spend the first round dealing with their sabotaged gear, and after that they're still stuck in an Unluck Aura with no idea who's causing it. The gremlin wouldn't even have to participate in the combat to cause chaos.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases