RPG Crowdfunding News – Era: Lyres, Treacherous Traps, They Came from Beneath the Sea!, The Fantasy

It’s the New Year and fresh RPG crowdfundings are beginning to crop up! As the industry ramps back up after the holidays, there are a number of worthwhile projects that end between January 18th and 24th.

If you’re interested in more details on how Kickstarters work, I did an interview/article with several prominent members of the industry about quickstarters, crowdfunding projects that run about 2 weeks instead of the traditional month. It’s interesting to get Steven Jackson Games, Frog God Games, Post World Games, and Roleplayingtips.com’s thoughts on what works with quick campaigns. Read it here. If you’re planning to do an RPG zine for Kickstarter’s Zine Quest in February, please let Sean Hillman and myself know so we can cover it on EN World. Read more here.

[h=3]RPG RULESETS[/h] Make100: Era: Lyres - Definitive Edition (& £2 Digital RPG!) by Shades of Vengeance
END DATE: Sun, January 20 2019 4:00 PM EST.
SYSTEM(S): Era d10
PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £20 for Era: Lyres - Definitive Edition Rulebook (Digital)
NOTE (1): Interested in more from Ed Jowett and Shades of Vengeance? Check out Ed’s guest appearance on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk podcast (here) where they “talk about the Era game line including Era: The Consortium, Era: Survival, Era: Lyres, and more plus what it’s like to be involved in more than 40 Kickstarters!”
NOTE (2): Interested in an Era: The Consortium comic from Shades of Vengeance? Then check out their Kickstarter for Mobilisation: The Bug War #3 (here), which ends on Fri, January 18 2019 9:00 PM EST.
Era: Lyres, the storytelling game where you try to convince a tavern full of people that you are an adventurer! Era: Lyres is a hilarious, collaborative storytelling experience like no other. You are someone who admires adventurers... or at least the gold and glory they get! But you don't want to lose your limbs, so the "heading out into the wild and fighting ferocious creatures" is something that gives you pause. But what's an adventurer when they return to town? Just a person with a sword and a story! So, you head to a blacksmith, buy a sword and head into a nearby tavern (not too close to where you live!). As you enter, you declare "I just killed a dragon on that mountaintop!", and the tavern falls silent. Now, you must tell your story... and you'd better be convincing! It's lucky you have your friends to back you up, right? In this game, the players work together as a group to tell a story to the GM, who plays as the audience of the tavern. The group can tell whatever story they want, but will have to improvise during the course of the story. Whenever the players say something which the GM feels the audience might question, one of the tavern's patrons will interrupt the story to demand proof. Era: Lyres - Definitive Edition will include [n]ew stories, such as the arrival of Ann Trout, assistant to Professor Wilton-Smythe in his research into the magical creatures of the kingdom! Several new Bestiary entries, including Vampires and Gnomes. The Traveller's Guide to Yarnolth and the Surrounding Lands (previously sold separately). Make100: Era: Lyres - Definitive Edition [is a] limited edition, extended version of Era: Lyres, our critically acclaimed RPG, along with some amazing, unique rewards!”

Treacherous Traps for 5th Edition! By Nord Games
END DATE: Wed, January 23 2019 12:00 AM EST.
SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
PROJECT TYPE: Rules expansion (traps)
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $100 plus shipping and handling for the book in hardcover and PDF as well as 6 decks of trap cards
Treacherous Traps is an incredible resource for game masters who are looking to get more out of their dungeon design. The book contains two hundred and fifty pre-built traps ranging in level and severity so that you can always find the perfect trap for your party. There is also a chapter containing a random trap generator written, in part, by the legendary Steve Winter. This chapter contains fifty trap triggers, and fifty trap effects that, when combined, create up to twenty-five hundred different combinations. Although the content in this book and collection of card decks is written for 5th Edition D&D, the trap concepts and mechanics can be easily adapted for use with other editions of D&D as well as other fantasy themed tabletop RPGs. All of the [five, 50-card] decks that are associated with Treacherous Traps can be used with or without the book. Random Trap Generator. This deck of 100 cards contains 50 trigger cards and 50 effect cards. A game master separates the two card types, shuffles them, and then draws 1 card from each stack. The combination of the trigger and the effect creates a random trap each time. This is a great resource for impromptu adventures as well as for game masters who want to be just as surprised as their players by what they find in the dungeon! The ultimate resource for creating and using traps in your 5th Edition games! 250+ pre-built traps plus a random trap generator!”

They Came from Beneath the Sea! -a tabletop roleplaying game by Onyx Path Publishing
END DATE: Thu, January 24 2019 1:00 PM EST.
SYSTEM(S): Onyx Path's Storypath system
PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $187 plus shipping and handling for the core rulebook in hardcover, PDF, and POD as well as Quip & Cinematic Cards in PDF and POD
THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA! is a new tabletop roleplaying game encompassing the wonder, horror, thrills, and hilarity of 1950s science fiction. This game evokes all that is great in the B-movies of decades ago, and provides a dynamic, fun experience at the table. THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA! is a tabletop roleplaying game in which the players, as humans, live in a world under increasing attack. The attackers? Aliens from beneath the sea, obviously! Adventures can range from the one-shot defense of small coastal town, to the lengthier liberation of a cruise ship invested with gill-kin, all the way to a campaign in which characters seize an alien submarine and ride it all the way down to the sea bed to take the fight to the invaders. In this game, the protagonists are strong-jawed war veterans, cunning and resourceful explorers, utterly insane scientists, and blue-collar heroes, just looking to defend their patches of land. THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA! will be powered by Onyx Path's Storypath system, and includes all the rules you need to play as a two-fisted hero dealing with alien threats. The basics of the Storypath system should be familiar to anyone who has played many other Onyx Path games of action-adventure or heroic exploits, as it is a 10-sided dice pool system, where in order to resolve an action you basically roll a number of dice equal to the character's Skill + Attribute and must roll an 8 or better a certain number of times in order to succeed in the action. That is the very basic resolution system, but we expand on that to further enhance how your gaming group can build their stories. Failing to hit your number of successes, or having more successes than your required amount, are built-in options in the rules. To further explain the basics of the Storypath system, here is a small PDF download that goes into more detail: SYSTEM PREVIEW PDF. 8.5" x 11" hardcover rulebook with a dynamic cover and full-color interior art. We estimate the book will be more than 200+ pages and will be traditionally printed on high quality paper stock. In addition, we want to create a print-and-play PDF with more than 120 Quip and Cinematic cards to use in-game, and a sturdy three-panel THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA! screen featuring a illustrations from the rulebook on the outer side, and a selection of charts and other info on the inside to make the Director's job a little bit easier.”

Map Maker Adventures - Dungeon Crawl RPG for 1-4 players by One Page Gaming
END DATE: Fri, January 18 2019 7:01 PM EST.
SYSTEM(S): An original RPG system
PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook and adventure modules
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: ¥5,700 plus shipping and handling for core rulebook plus 4 adventure books, all softcover and PDF plus all unlocked stretch goals
In this game, you belong to the Imperial Expeditionary Force, as a cartographer. Your team was assigned to a border town southwest of the Empire to investigate a series of frequent, strange events. The appearance of evil creatures, the missing of town folk, a large number of livestock deaths, the wilting of farmland and forests, even the church has been sealed by the town guard since the priest carried out a terrible massacre of the villagers in the church. The town went crazy. You'll follow the advance troops to investigate and produce detailed maps and information about the town and its surrounding locations; especially the DUNGEONS.

Map Maker Adventures (MMA) is an old school, pencil and paper, dungeon crawl, role-playing game. You can play solitary, or with your friends up to 4 players, without a DM. All you need to play is this book set, several pieces of paper, a pencil and a D20 die for each player. Each MMA book set comes with one rulebook and four adventure books. Each adventure book contains all you need to progress through one stage of the adventure, which includes 5 dungeon difficulty ranks. The entire set will include four stages and cover ranks 1-20. No Game Master needed. Play solitary or with up to 4 players cooperatively against the game system itself. 1 Rule Book, about 120 Pages. Full-color cover, black and white inside. 4 Adventure Books, about 130 Pages each. Full-color cover, black and white inside. All books are A4 size. Map Maker Adventures is an old school, pencil and paper, dungeon crawl, role-playing game for 1~4 players, without a DM.”

[h=3]RPG ACCESSORIES[/h] HECK YEAH ! / OH NO! d20 DICE by Dice Tube
END DATE: Thu, January 24 2019 1:38 PM EST.
PROJECT TYPE: d20 dice
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: HK$54 plus shipping and handling for 4d20s
“We're the dice tube team. This is our new project: a 20 sided (d20) dice with "HECK YEAH !" instead of a "20" and "OH NO!" instead of a "1". These are high quality gorgeous dice. Heck Yeah ! / Oh No! dice are a unique accessory for your gaming / party needs. With your help, we can bring these awesome dice to all of our games! HECK YEAH ! dice are 26mm. This is larger than a normal 23mm d20. This makes them easy to read, and they will really stand out on your gaming table. nique 20 sided (d20) dice with "HECK YEAH !" instead of a "20" and "OH NO !" instead of a "1".”

[h=3]ENDING SOON(ER)[/h] The Fantasy Trip Adventures by Steve Jackson Games through Warehouse 23
END DATE: Mon, January 14 2019 6:03 PM EST.
SYSTEM(S): The Fantasy Trip system
PROJECT TYPE: Adventure modules
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 plus shipping and handling for all print and PDF adventure modules plus unlocked stretch goals
NOTE: To read more about this “quickstarter,” read my article on “quickstarters” (here) in which SJG CEO Phil Reed shares his thoughts.
The Fantasy Trip is an “old-school” RPG, with easy character design, realistic tactical combat, and an emphasis on story. It is unabashedly focused on dungeon crawls and arena battles. It’s a great introduction for your friends who are new to roleplaying, because it’s so easy to get started. [O]ne of the most-requested additions to The Fantasy Trip is new adventures. To date, we've released two new adventures in PDF at Warehouse 23, and your favorable response to those two adventures has our team working to create even more . . . but we find that we need your help to take these adventures from their current form to release. The next adventure, Fire in the Temple by David Pulver, is almost completed and ready to release at Warehouse 23 while the two other new adventures are in editing. Additionally, we're at the earliest planning stages for five more adventures, but we need to gauge interest in these adventures before we devote more resources to the project. With two adventures already released, a third nearing completion, and more in the works, what is this campaign funding? 1. The art, layout, and editorial work necessary to complete the still-in-progress adventures. 2. The creation of a printed collection of the first five adventures, shrink-wrapped with the counter and megahex sheets that are included in the PDF adventures. New adventures for use with The Fantasy Trip roleplaying game, offered in both print and PDF!”

Retro 1E & 5E Fantasy Mini-Adventure Set 2 by Art of the Genre
END DATE: Wed, January 16 2019 2:30 PM EST.
SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 1e and 5e
PROJECT TYPE: Adventure modules
MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for 3 PDF mini-adventures plus unlocked stretch goals
“These three mini-adventures expand on the events that will take place in between Folio #21 & Folio #22. We also hope that if you are simply looking for some cool dungeon encounters for characters level 10+, these adventures will fill that void. Each mini-adventure is roughly 10 encounter points in a scenario that blends in with the main Folio adventure it corresponds to (in this case, we are hoping to 'bridge' certain scenario points within the Kasbah Dungeon from The Curse of Roslof Keep campaign). This includes maps, and statistics in both classic AD&D and 5th Edition D&D. However, these can also easily work as standalone encounters for other ongoing campaigns. They are designed for 4-6 characters from levels 10+. What is Behind the Amber Door? In the first level of the Kasbah Dungeon a single door was held with a magical shield of amber energy, but now the characters have a chance to open it and find out what the final secrets the first floor of the dungeon has to offer... What is 10 Steps Down? Level 2 of the Kasbah Dungeon also has an amber door, and this one might hold a secret to the undoing of the Infernal Machine itself. This is yet another chance for experience and glory before the characters make their way to the third level of the dungeon. The Folio is an OSR inspired adventure path that incorporates both 1E and 5E Dungeons & Dragons mechanics. A triple mini-adventure bridge set for the middle levels of The Curse of Roslof campaign in both 1E & 5E gaming formats”

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Egg is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Companies need to advertise their Kickstarters to previous backers more. I backed 2 previous Nord Games Kickstarters and this trap book is definitely something I'd be interested in, yet I had no idea about it until I saw this Kickstarter. Surely a quick update post in their previous Kickstarters would be a good way to let their previous backers know about a new Kickstarter they are running.

Similarly, there have been Frog God Games Kickstarters I've nearly missed out on backing because they didn't post an update about them in their previous Kickstarters (or did so when there was only a few days left to back).

It seems like they are potentially missing out on backers that would very likely be interested in their product.

Companies need to advertise their Kickstarters to previous backers more. I backed 2 previous Nord Games Kickstarters and this trap book is definitely something I'd be interested in, yet I had no idea about it until I saw this Kickstarter. Surely a quick update post in their previous Kickstarters would be a good way to let their previous backers know about a new Kickstarter they are running.

Similarly, there have been Frog God Games Kickstarters I've nearly missed out on backing because they didn't post an update about them in their previous Kickstarters (or did so when there was only a few days left to back).

It seems like they are potentially missing out on backers that would very likely be interested in their product.

Olaf the Stout -

Speaking strictly as a fan, I agree that publishers could mine their pool of prior backers, it's a logical and, in many cases, a welcome advertising tactic, especially when offering like products. That said, I joined several crowdfunding campaigns that over use that option so I become notification numb to their alerts.

As a journalist, I'll keep your question in mind as I talk to crowdfunding publishers in the future. :)

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity in a future article or discuss your RPG crowdfunding project, please contact me here.

Olaf the Stout -

Speaking strictly as a fan, I agree that publishers could mine their pool of prior backers, it's a logical and, in many cases, a welcome advertising tactic, especially when offering like products. That said, I joined several crowdfunding campaigns that over use that option so I become notification numb to their alerts.

As a journalist, I'll keep your question in mind as I talk to crowdfunding publishers in the future. :)

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity in a future article or discuss your RPG crowdfunding project, please contact me here.

Yeah, I can see how it would quickly become annoying if they overdid it, especially when they’re advertising another Kickstarter and the one you backed still hasn’t been delivered yet. I’ve seen updates like that do nothing but get backers of the original campaign angry.

However, I’m sure there’s a happy medium between never and every second day. Maybe one update when the project first goes live and a second update when there is 48-72 hours left as a last chance reminder.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Companies need to advertise their Kickstarters to previous backers more....

They do. But I mercilessly unsubscribe and filter that stuff out to keep my inbox manageable.

The two best sources of new KS projects are these articles on EnWorld and Kickstarter's algorithms (recommendation on new projects based on my prior backed projects).

If you back a project, KS will highlight new projects by the creator of the previously backed project.

Also, most creators will post notices of new projects on the "updates" board of their prior projects, which you will also get in your e-mail if you've set your Kickstarter preferences to receive them.

They do. But I mercilessly unsubscribe and filter that stuff out to keep my inbox manageable.

The two best sources of new KS projects are these articles on EnWorld and Kickstarter's algorithms (recommendation on new projects based on my prior backed projects).

If you back a project, KS will highlight new projects by the creator of the previously backed project.

Also, most creators will post notices of new projects on the "updates" board of their prior projects, which you will also get in your e-mail if you've set your Kickstarter preferences to receive them.
Did you read my post? I specifically pointed out the fact that I didn’t know about Nord Games traps Kickstarter project, despite backing one (and possibly 2) of their previous Kickstarters.

So they didn’t post an update on their previous projects, which is what I suggested they do.

This article was the basis for a segment by Morrus and Peter Coffey on the Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk during their 31st podcast (at 23:11) at: https://morrus.podbean.com/e/31-top-...casts-of-2018/

- Era: Lyres
- They Came From Beneath the Sea!
- Heck Yeah / Oh No!
- Treacherous Traps
- Map Maker Adventures

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

You can follow a creator on Kickstarter, and will be notified whenever they launch a new project.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases