Artificer UA to be released in February
  • Artificer UA to be released in February


    WotC has tweeted: "The next Unearthed Arcana will be released in February and will be the Artificer! Thanks for your patience as we take this month to finish it."

    What's an artificer? For those unfamiliar, it's a class from Eberron which treats magic like technology.


    Comments 402 Comments
    1. Leatherhead's Avatar
      Leatherhead -
      I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.
    1. vecna00's Avatar
      vecna00 -
      I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted the news yet!
    1. DQDesign's Avatar
      DQDesign -
      'thanks for your patience'.
      Finally they admitted having a release delay. This is a good step towards having a fair approach towards the fan base regarding timing.
      However, I really expected having the final thing, not another UA again.
    1. MechaPilot's Avatar
      MechaPilot -
      Quote Originally Posted by DQDesign View Post
      'thanks for your patience'.
      Finally they admitted having a release delay. This is a good step towards having a fair approach towards the fan base regarding timing.
      However, I really expected having the final thing, not another UA again.
      The final thing probably won't come until an update to the wayfarer's guide pdf and/or a physical release of the wayfarer's guide. Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
    1. DQDesign's Avatar
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaPilot View Post
      Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
      It could be true. It would also be interesting to know if this Xan2 thing is actually one of the planned book of 2019 or not.
    1. NaturalZero's Avatar
      NaturalZero -
      I really, really, really want a viable gunslinger artificer. Competitive damage + decent utility.
    1. Olrox17's Avatar
      Olrox17 -
      Never been a great fan of the artificer, but I’m happy for those that like it!
    1. DEFCON 1's Avatar
      DEFCON 1 -
      I have a player in my Eberron game using KibbleTasty's expanded Artificer class that they built up from the previous WotC UA and thus far it works well. The fact that it has like a half-dozen separate subclasses means you have any number of different ways to play one. My player started as a Potionsmith, but due to her family background and the way the game has progressed she wants to get involved with warforging, and there's a subclass for that as well that she can now work on switching over to, the Golemsmith.

      KibbleTasty's Artificer 1.6 on GMBinder

      Even if/when the official WotC artificer gets released, I don't know that I'll have a need to switch over to it, especially considering it'll probably still only have those two subclasses-- the alchemist and the gunsmith.
    1. Ash Mantle -
      Thanks heaps to whoever edited my original post to make it more illuminating!
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ash Mantle View Post
      Thanks heaps to whoever edited my original post to make it more illuminating!
      It got promoted to an article.
    1. Ash Mantle -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      It got promoted to an article.
      Oh, sweet as!
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaPilot View Post
      The final thing probably won't come until an update to the wayfarer's guide pdf and/or a physical release of the wayfarer's guide. Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
      Well, if they are putting it in UA, that means they have potential product plans for it within ~12 months. I'd say the fourth of their "3-4 books" this year is a hardcover Eberron book if this is well received in playtest. I doubt they would put it in another book than an Eberron book, but leave it as an attracting factor in an Eberron book for those not playing in Eberron proper.
    1. PabloM's Avatar
      PabloM -
      I have a question for those who knows about the subject:
      Is the artificer a character who treats magic like technology (I mean who manipulates arcane forces through items) or a character who crafts non magic items that have spell like effects (like a flamethrower is more or less similar to, lets say, burning hands)?
    1. LuisCarlos17f's Avatar
      LuisCarlos17f -
      I wonder about we will see a runesmith subclass, why not a subclass with incarnum soulmelds?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by PabloM View Post
      I have a question for those who knows about the subject:
      Is the artificer a character who treats magic like technology (I mean who manipulates arcane forces through items) or a character who crafts non magic items that have spell like effects (like a flamethrower is more or less similar to, lets say, burning hands)?
      It's still magic, but they treat it like a science rather than an art.
    1. ad_hoc's Avatar
      ad_hoc -
      Quote Originally Posted by DQDesign View Post
      'thanks for your patience'.
      Finally they admitted having a release delay. This is a good step towards having a fair approach towards the fan base regarding timing.
      However, I really expected having the final thing, not another UA again.
      UA is free playtesting material.

      They don't have an obligation to produce or release any of it.
    1. doctorhook's Avatar
      doctorhook -
      Hopefully this artificer actually resembles the Eberron class. I had been losing hope that 5e would ever do Eberron justice.
    1. DQDesign's Avatar
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
      UA is free playtesting material.

      They don't have an obligation to produce or release any of it.
      who knows, maybe they think they have, given the fact they are officially thanking Customers for their patience.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by DQDesign View Post
      who knows, maybe they think they have, given the fact they are officially thanking Customers for their patience.
      How do you “officially” thank somebody?

      (Officially posted by me)
    1. DQDesign's Avatar
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      How do you “officially” thank somebody?

      (Officially posted by me)
      simply writing "thanks for your patience" on the official company Twitter account.
    Comments Leave Comment