Artificer UA to be released in February
  • Artificer UA to be released in February

WotC has tweeted: "The next Unearthed Arcana will be released in February and will be the Artificer! Thanks for your patience as we take this month to finish it."

What's an artificer? For those unfamiliar, it's a class from Eberron which treats magic like technology.

Comments 402 Comments
      Leatherhead -
      I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.
      vecna00 -
      I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted the news yet!
      DQDesign -
      'thanks for your patience'.
      Finally they admitted having a release delay. This is a good step towards having a fair approach towards the fan base regarding timing.
      However, I really expected having the final thing, not another UA again.
      MechaPilot -
      Quote Originally Posted by DQDesign View Post
      Finally they admitted having a release delay. This is a good step towards having a fair approach towards the fan base regarding timing.
      The final thing probably won't come until an update to the wayfarer's guide pdf and/or a physical release of the wayfarer's guide. Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaPilot View Post
      Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
      It could be true. It would also be interesting to know if this Xan2 thing is actually one of the planned book of 2019 or not.
      NaturalZero -
      I really, really, really want a viable gunslinger artificer. Competitive damage + decent utility.
      Olrox17 -
      Never been a great fan of the artificer, but I’m happy for those that like it!
      DEFCON 1 -
      I have a player in my Eberron game using KibbleTasty's expanded Artificer class that they built up from the previous WotC UA and thus far it works well. The fact that it has like a half-dozen separate subclasses means you have any number of different ways to play one. My player started as a Potionsmith, but due to her family background and the way the game has progressed she wants to get involved with warforging, and there's a subclass for that as well that she can now work on switching over to, the Golemsmith.

KibbleTasty's Artificer 1.6 on GMBinder

Even if/when the official WotC artificer gets released, I don't know that I'll have a need to switch over to it, especially considering it'll probably still only have those two subclasses-- the alchemist and the gunsmith.
    1. Ash Mantle -
      Thanks heaps to whoever edited my original post to make it more illuminating!
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ash Mantle View Post
      Thanks heaps to whoever edited my original post to make it more illuminating!
      It got promoted to an article.
    1. Ash Mantle -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      It got promoted to an article.
      Oh, sweet as!
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaPilot View Post
      The final thing probably won't come until an update to the wayfarer's guide pdf and/or a physical release of the wayfarer's guide. Those not interested in Eberron will probably have to wait for another Xanathar's-like book to get hold of the final thing.
      Well, if they are putting it in UA, that means they have potential product plans for it within ~12 months. I'd say the fourth of their "3-4 books" this year is a hardcover Eberron book if this is well received in playtest. I doubt they would put it in another book than an Eberron book, but leave it as an attracting factor in an Eberron book for those not playing in Eberron proper.
      PabloM -
      I have a question for those who knows about the subject:
      Is the artificer a character who treats magic like technology (I mean who manipulates arcane forces through items) or a character who crafts non magic items that have spell like effects (like a flamethrower is more or less similar to, lets say, burning hands)?
      LuisCarlos17f -
      I wonder about we will see a runesmith subclass, why not a subclass with incarnum soulmelds?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by PabloM View Post
      I have a question for those who knows about the subject:
      Is the artificer a character who treats magic like technology (I mean who manipulates arcane forces through items) or a character who crafts non magic items that have spell like effects (like a flamethrower is more or less similar to, lets say, burning hands)?
      It's still magic, but they treat it like a science rather than an art.
      ad_hoc -
      UA is free playtesting material.

They don't have an obligation to produce or release any of it.
      doctorhook -
      Hopefully this artificer actually resembles the Eberron class. I had been losing hope that 5e would ever do Eberron justice.
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
      UA is free playtesting material.

They don't have an obligation to produce or release any of it.
      who knows, maybe they think they have, given the fact they are officially thanking Customers for their patience.
      Morrus -
      who knows, maybe they think they have, given the fact they are officially thanking Customers for their patience.
      How do you “officially” thank somebody?

(Officially posted by me)
      DQDesign -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      How do you “officially” thank somebody?

(Officially posted by me)
      simply writing "thanks for your patience" on the official company Twitter account.
    Comments Leave Comment