A New D&D Book in 2019: Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual!
  • A New D&D Book in 2019: Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual!

It's being reported on GeekWire that Penny Arcade has teamed up with WotC's to produce a D&D-licensed official Acquisitions Inc. D&D sourcebook, the "Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual".

Acquisitions Incorporated started over a decade ago (during the D&D 4E era) as a podcast featuring WotC's Christopher Perkins and various members and friends of Penny Arcade. It quickly grew to performing at large live events (similar those that Critical Role does these days). Penny Arcade, of course, is responsible for the big PAX video games conventions and the newer PAX Unplugged.

GeekWire has an interview with Penny Arcade. It seems they originally planned to do it on Kickstarter, but when WotC got wind of what they were up to, they got in touch and proposed a partnership instead.

Bleeding Cool also has an interview with PA's Jerry Holkins, as does Geek & Sundry.

The book was announced at PAX South 2019. Holkins describes it as "a cool book in general full of cool art, strange characters, and weird goings-on that demand to be inserted into home campaigns... Itís much more focused on personalities and the mysteries of the organization. We do feature a number of strange new items that go along with your role in the company, though I probably shouldnít say much more than that."
    Comments 70 Comments
      Parmandur -
      Apparently, Penny Arcade is releasing a fully licensed book about Acquisitions, Inc.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01...ungeon-manual/
      vecna00 -
      I'm still trying to figure out what this is...but I'm very intrigued!
      Ralif Redhammer -
      Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, new D&D stuff is fun. I like the sense of whimsy the art has. On the other hand, Penny Arcade can be problematic. And I didnít care for the last streaming to D&D book product, the TalíDorei sourcebook.
      epithet -
      Although I have no interest whatsoever in using AI in my campaign, I'm interested to see what will be in the book. I have enjoyed the Acquisitions Inc shows on YouTube, and I think there is a lot of useful stuff in the Ravnica book despite the fact that the setting itself is of no interest to me.
      NotRussellCrowe -
      Quote Originally Posted by vecna00 View Post
      I'm still trying to figure out what this is...but I'm very intrigued!
      Yeah I didn't pick up on what type of book this would be. For all I can figure out it could be an art book. Which may not be a bad thing but I certainly cannot set any expectations or even hype from what I read.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by NotRussellCrowe View Post
      Yeah I didn't pick up on what type of book this would be. For all I can figure out it could be an art book. Which may not be a bad thing but I certainly cannot set any expectations or even hype from what I read.
      It looks like this will be a third party rules sourcebook on how to run an adventuring corporation in a D&D home campaign. Not a WotC D&D release, but like the Goodman Games books officially licensed as D&D books.
      Tiles -
      This is just a guess but it may contain a new class path or three also multiple corporate feats.
      MNblockhead -
      I wish they would first release the rules set and software used to run the PubG/Fortnite battle-battle royal style D&D game that Mike Krahulik ran a couple PAX's ago.
      ccs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ralif Redhammer View Post
      Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, new D&D stuff is fun. I like the sense of whimsy the art has. On the other hand, Penny Arcade can be problematic.
      ? Because?
      DEFCON 1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
      ? Because?
      Because like a large amount of comedy, a lot of it hasn't "aged well" as they say. And some people are less inclined to give them a pass for it.

Their prerogative, and no fault if they don't. They usually have some valid points which even the PA folks have copped to over the years. But as is always the case in these situations, everyone has to continue living past it and thus each person has to decide whether to turn away or carry on carrying on. And you can't fault folks for whichever direction they turn.
      Arallu -
      Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
      Because like a large amount of comedy, a lot of it hasn't "aged well" as they say. And some people are less inclined to give them a pass for it.

Their prerogative, and no fault if they don't. They usually have some valid points which even the PA folks have copped to over the years. But as is always the case in these situations, everyone has to continue living past it and thus each person has to decide whether to turn away or carry on carrying on. And you can't fault folks for whichever direction they turn.
      What does all that even mean?
      Is AI some kind of risque comedy troupe?
      cfmcdonald -
      Odd how they announce a new product while carefully avoiding saying a single thing about what it is.
    1. Retreater -
      That's a pass for me. I don't want a parody game of someone's vanity project.
      The White Sorcerer -
      Okay, I think the bottom row from left to right are Documancer, Occultant, and Cartographer. Any idea what positions the top row are? One would assume they are, in some order, Decisionist, Hoardsperson, and Loremonger, but perhaps there are still other roles.
      kenmarable -
      Quote Originally Posted by Arallu View Post
      No, probably more to do with Penny Arcade, their main web comic.

Personally, I gave up on it years ago not for the content of the comics themselves but for their reaction to fans who called them out on some jokes. I havenít followed them for years, and I certainly donít think they are awful and the worst thing out there. Just, for me personally, their reactions soured me on them at the time, and since then thereís so much other great stuff being created, I donít have time to follow it all, so I donít miss it. *shrug* No idea if thereís been any particular other big situations, but I get the feeling that, especially with Penny Arcade and that community, they push some boundaries that are fine with some people and not with others.

I do wish them well with this book and am interested to hear more, although itís likely not in my area of interest. The incident that turned me away was years ago, and Iím sure theyíve matured and learned since then and they seem like decent fellas who do great charity work.

As for Aquisitions Inc, however, seems that it is absolutely NOT problematic like that. Havenít watched them all, but what I saw was light hearted, silly but still action oriented D&D based around an adventuring corporation. Never heard of any problems with AI and I doubt Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford would DM them if there were. Just outside of AI and with Penny Arcade, they have rubbed some people the wrong way. *shrug*
      Immortal Sun -
      WotC has finally discovered that branching out to things outside of D&D can be successful for D&D!? This just in: Pigs are flying, cats and dogs living together, MADNESS!

Anyway, I know very little about AI. I know slightly more about PA from way back.

Probably not my kettle of fish, but opening up the brand to new ideas is usually a healthy move.
      Seramus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Arallu View Post
      It means old comedy can make modern people gasp and grasp their pearls. We used to joke about things that are considered abhorrent and indefensible now. And future generations will no doubt look at what we do today and think of us as intolerant savages.
      Charlaquin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      It looks like this will be a third party rules sourcebook on how to run an adventuring corporation in a D&D home campaign. Not a WotC D&D release, but like the Goodman Games books officially licensed as D&D books.
      Oh, that sounds pretty relevant to my interests.
      darjr -
      Woot! I can't wait!
      Emirikol_Prime -
      Gross.
    Comments Leave Comment