Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord
  • Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Veteran game designer Robert Schwalb (Dungeons & Dragons, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD) has created his own version of the Warlord class, which is available over on DriveThruRPG.

It's a 10-page Charisma-based class, d10 hit die, with abilities like Commanding Presence (damage bonus to nearby allies) and Battlefield Command, along with a range of subclasses such as the Resourceful Leader and the Hordemaster.

"The time for battle is now! Monsters tumble out of the dark, wicked drow hatch vile plots, demons eager to invade the Material Plane clamor at the edges of reality, and bizarre aberrations pursue mad agendas that will plunge the world and all the planes into chaos. The people need champions to throw back the darkness, to take the fight to the dread enemies, and thwart their evil designs. While adventurers of all kinds answer the call to battle, from courageous fighters to cunning rogues, fell wizards and wise clerics, they aren’t the only ones capable of take a brave stand. Joining them is a new breed of warrior: those brilliant tacticians and inspiring leaders known as warlords. These battle-hardened champions lead the charge into combat and through their insights, tricks, and stratagems, they enable all who fight at their sides to achieve their full potential to triumph in the face of any adversity.

Call to Arms: The Warlord returns a popular archetype from older editions of the world’s most popular roleplaying game to the present. First and foremost a leader, warlords aid their allies through their design and implementation of brilliant combat plans. A welcome addition to any group, warlords can help turn the tide of battle, snatching ultimate victory from the jaws of certain defeat!"
    Comments 141 Comments
    1. TwoSix -
      Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.
      guachi -
      Robert Schwalb, who signed my 5e PHB, which then fell apart?

Sold.
      SkidAce -
      Yeah, this guy.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Schwalb

Sold.
      Elfcrusher -
      Does this mean we don't need any more threads asking for Warlord?

Sold.
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Elfcrusher View Post
      Does this mean we don't need any more threads asking for Warlord?

Sold.
      Of course we will. It only counts if WotC makes the warlord.
      Charlaquin -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      Of course we will. It only counts if WotC makes the warlord.
      It’s true, until there’s a 1st party version of a thing, people will keep asking for it.

Sold?
      cbwjm -
      I am interested to have a loom at his version of the warlord. I read on Reddit there were a couple of problems with it but still I think it is worth checking out for myself.
      Charlaquin -
      You’re breaking the pattern, dude.

Sold.
      Prakriti -
      Relevant XKCD.

1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by SkidAce View Post
      Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord
      Can it give its action freely to someone else?
      darjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
      Yes!

Sold!
      SkidAce -
      Among other abilities, and at 6th level, yes.
      Mistwell -
      At 6th level you can forgo an attack and cause an ally to take a reaction to make a weapon attack. At 10th level you can grant allies they ability to spend hit dice without a rest (AND they can remove 1 lev exhaustion). Of course, lots of other abilities in there, but these two stood out. It's worth the small sum to purchase it.
      Slit518 -
      Robert Schwalb? I don't know who that is.

Sold!
      TarionzCousin -
      A link to the actual product instead of an article about it: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...d&test_epoch=0

You know, so you can (Sold) it.
    1. Al'Kelhar -
      Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.
      SkidAce -
      Quote Originally Posted by TarionzCousin View Post
      A link to the actual product instead of an article about it: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...d&test_epoch=0

You know, so you can (Sold) it.
      Agreed...though to be fair, there was link in the article.
    1. TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Al'Kelhar View Post
      Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.
      Yea, this turned out to be very far from my favorite version of a warlord. The lack of any use for Intelligence (in a document where "tactical genius" is explicitly mentioned as a character concept) is one of my several issues. These issues range from petty (two strong saves is a no-no!) to more severe (too many subclasses that aren't well differentiated, getting a 3rd attack at 11th with no restrictions, can switch from full fighter to full lazylord every round at level 6, no build considerations required).

Commercially sold, but not emotionally sold.
      Aldarc -
      The Intelligence/Charisma divide is unfortunately a shortcoming of D&D when it comes to describing a skill set for the Warlord that may broadly span what we could call "wits." Other systems that are less reliant on this spread of attributes could potentially have a much easier time with creating a Warlord that encompasses both Intelligence/Charisma.

That said, I do appreciate Schwalb's efforts.
      lowkey13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldarc View Post
      The Intelligence/Charisma divide is unfortunately a shortcoming of D&D when it comes to describing a skill set for the Warlord that may broadly span what we could call "wits." Other systems that are less reliant on this spread of attributes could potentially have a much easier time with creating a Warlord that encompasses both Intelligence/Charisma.
      It's charisma creep.

I've posted on this before, and it's definitely worth its own topic, but charisma has morphed from a dump stat that was often confused/conflated with "physical attractiveness" back in the day to a world-eating stat that will soon envelop all of Intelligence and Wisdom.

Nom nom nom.
    Comments Leave Comment