Remember these MERP/Rolemaster critical hit tables?

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

Dx7ytjyWkAIllWW.jpg-large.jpg

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Oh how I loved MERP, had the ICE poster of Middle Earth on my wall above the bed as a teen. The crit tables were cool, though the setting we used to joke stood for "Magic Everywhere" Role Playing, in comparison to Greyhawk.

Cherno

Explorer
Those tables were great just for reading. I remember some quite cleary:

From the archery table, "Worst shot ever. Ear of attacker shot off."
From the plasma damage table "Torso liquified".
I think one has also an added effect that has all watchers being unable to do anything for a few rounds because they are laughing their butts off after witnessing a particularly embarrassing performance by one attacker.

Oh, most definitely - I love all things d100! I also remember depression criticals, LOL. And my freshly inducted Rider of Rohan - who got vaporized by a random demon encounter. Grrrr! (Didn't Tolkien Enterprises help ruin ICE to get the license back in time for the movies? I seem to remember reading something to that effect in Designers & Dragons.)

For anyone who loved the games, there's a dark fantasy game in development called Against the Darkmaster which looks a bit like a revamped and modernized version of the game(s).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases