Now You Can Have A D&D Notebook!
  • Now You Can Have A D&D Notebook!

Amazon has a new official D&D product -- the Dungeons & Dragons Bestiary Notebook Set, with a release date of October 1st. It includes 8 mini notebooks, each featuring a different monster, with stats and a brief history.

Here's the description -- "This boxed set of 8 pocket-size notebooks pays homage to some of Dungeons & Dragons most reviled beasts and creatures. Each notebook cover features a different monster in a new, modern design, while the interior includes stats and a brief history of each creature. Hand-selected to include a mix of fearsome creations and fan-favorites, The Bestiary Notebook Set is a must-have collector's item for any D&D fan."

You can find it here on Amazon. It's probably of limited appeal, but collectors and gift-buyers might find it well-timed for Christmas 2019. (thanks to Rhineglade for the scoop!)

That's not all! There's also a Book of Holding! A D&D Journal -- "Richly packaged and highly customizable, this officially licensed blank journal is a must-have keepsake for Dungeons & Dragons fans of all levels. Each section of the journal is filled with gridded or lined pages and includes five spreads of interstitial artwork as well as a back pocket for storing character sheets and notes. Whether you're a die-hard dungeon master looking to plot your next campaign, or a part-time player wanting to represent your favorite game, this one-of-a-kind journal is the ultimate companion to any RPG lover's quest."
    Comments 46 Comments
      R_J_K75 -
      Not sure this to be of any use either: Book og Holding.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Holding-...8962791&sr=1-2
      Parmandur -
      My wife will love this.
      R_J_K75 -
      Seems to me that the Boo of Holding is going to target school aged kinds and teens to draw new players. If someones class mate brings onre to school I bet it will get other kids interested.
    1. Toriel -
      Can be useful to take notes during a game. DMs can write prep notes and improv reminders, while players can write equipment, loot, NPCs met, etc..
      R_J_K75 -
      A $20, 144 pg notebook seems steep. I can buy a few regular notebooks, 3-ring binders, and pads of graph paper for about that price. Ill be disappointed if these are 2 of the 4 products for 2019, as I dont see it serving a purpose that the other products I mentioned above cant.
    1. BMaC -
      Fantastic. I hope the paper is at least 80gsm.
      Immortal Sun -
      Depends on the price point. It's hard to compete with those cheap notebooks at walmart.
    1. BMaC -
      The price is in-line with other high-end journals. This is my favorite journal at the moment. It's 90gsm paper with a binding that will last a life time:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clairefonta...web_1656598031
      EthanSental -
      Looks good, nice notebooks for campaign note taking and such. I’ll pick up one for sure.
      pukunui -
      Why would anyone want a notebook with stats and lore about a single D&D creature in it? Seems pretty gimmicky. I really can’t see the point of this product at all.
      Prakriti -
      Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
      Why would anyone want a notebook with stats and lore about a single D&D creature in it? Seems pretty gimmicky. I really can’t see the point of this product at all.
      I'm in the same boat, but I think 99% of the product's purpose is to be a D&D-branded notebook (for keeping campaign notes, tracking HP, etc.). The monster stat is just gravy.
      Twiggly the Gnome -
      Might have been interested if they were packaged in a Trapper Keeper instead of a cardboard sleeve.
      EthanSental -
      Depends on taste, some keep it simple with the green, blue, black Mead notebooks for keeping notes or some would rather have these with visuals of D&D related art....I’ll take the art please!
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Product details list a 480-page count, so 60 pages per notebook. Then, for example, if the first 10 pages are all about the monster on the cover, that would leave 50 blank pages for whatever, including a DM writing down a campaign that revolves around the monster on the cover.

Besides, don't the monster sections of these seem basically the same as the detailed monster sections in Volo's Guide to Monsters? Or the old Monster Ecology articles from Dragon?

Though it is still not something I would likely buy. The big, fancy journal with all blank pages is more my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EthanSental View Post
      Depends on taste, some keep it simple with the green, blue, black Mead notebooks for keeping notes or some would rather have these with visuals of D&D related art....I’ll take the art please!
      Yeah, let the others keep the plain, boring notebooks that make it look like it is still the 80's and you have to hide your hobby from the Muggles. lol
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Prakriti View Post
      I'm in the same boat, but I think 99% of the product's purpose is to be a D&D-branded notebook (for keeping campaign notes, tracking HP, etc.). The monster stat is just gravy.
      Undoubtedly. In my opinion, they’re putting gravy on plain cheese pizza, though. I just don’t see the point / appeal. I’d rather just have the blank “book of holding” than a mini notebook with a little bit of info about one D&D monster in it. Also, why include the stats? What’s the point? It seems to me like it would just encourage metagamey behaviour.
      SkidAce -
      Probably the monster stats will be just on the inside covers, like those notebooks with diagrams and angles, and weights and measurements etc.
      DQDesign -
      I really can’t see the point of this product at all.
      I stopped wondering about wotc's modus operandi long ago. I'm just sad because the precious time of some layout employee, artist* and writer* was used for this instead of using it for a new TTRPG product.

*if the art and text included in those notebooks is new, obviously.
      ad_hoc -
      The benefit to me is to have something that doesn't look out of place.

Undoubtedly. In my opinion, they’re putting gravy on plain cheese pizza, though. I just don’t see the point / appeal. I’d rather just have the blank “book of holding” than a mini notebook with a little bit of info about one D&D monster in it. Also, why include the stats? What’s the point? It seems to me like it would just encourage metagamey behaviour.
      The point is aesthetics.
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
      The point is aesthetics.
      I'm a graphic designer. I know about aesthetics. And the box is definitely aesthetically pleasing. I'm not convinced that the concept as a whole is, though.

To be honest, I think this is yet another sign that I am no longer in WotC's target market.
      DQDesign -
      To be honest, I think this is yet another sign that I am no longer in WotC's target market.
      This is mostly true also for me. And the most important sign, IMO, is being sad at seeying dnd official publishing focus slowly shifting away from printed TTRPG books.
    Comments Leave Comment