Shatner, Wheaton & More In D&D Themed Big Bang Theory Episode
  • Shatner, Wheaton & More In D&D Themed Big Bang Theory Episode

Dungeons & Dragons has featured on The Big Bang Theory plenty of times. Now, in its final season, the show will feature an entire episode themed around D&D, guest starring epic geek icons like William Shatner (Star Trek), Will Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (basketball), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob).

They've played D&D many times on the show

Whether all of those guest stars will actually play the game is not known. A short teaser was released on Twitter a couple of days ago. Some of them we know are tabletop gamers (Wheaton, Manganiello), and Manganiello is an avid D&D superfan.

The date of the episode is not yet confirmed, but the show is halfway through its final season, so it can't be too far off.
    Comments 37 Comments
    1. VengerSatanis -
      Wow, that's going to be some sweet, sweet fan-service!

VS
      TarionzCousin -
      What is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar doing in this episode?
      The White Sorcerer -
      This almost makes me want to see an episode of Big Bang Theory.
      Mistwell -
      I am looking forward to it!
      Wraith Form -
      TV D&D.....utterly NOT like how actual D&D is played.
      Ace-Azzameen -
      D&D presented through a lowest common denominator lens. How refreshing.
      EthanSental -
      How refreshing, 3 of 6 comments with a negative spin!

How about we we appreciate what many think is a funny show mentioning the characters of the show being D&D fans and having it in any way on a show with such national reach is a good thing. Or we can complain that they are using a 4e dm screen or some other tidbit...try a little positivity, it’s contagious more so than the negative stuff.

Im looking forwatd to it, the Santa Christmas dnd episode was fun stuff too.
      Gradine -
      I’d be a lot more excited if this happened on a show that didn’t present as horrendously negative of a portrayal of a community I identify with.

Or if Shatner were in any way still relevant or respectable.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who identify as nerds profess to love this show, let alone tolerate it.
      Mistwell -
      I like the show quite a lot, and I don't think it presents a negative portrayal of nerds or D&D.
      I also love Shatner and think he's plenty relevant and I give him respect. He just came out with a Christmas album in fact, and my friend can be heard on it!
      I also like sports.
      I also liked Twlight.

Isn't it nice that this is a hobby that attracts people with a variety of tastes, and we don't gatekeep who is and is not allowed to show D&D being played, or like D&D?
      Spookyboots -
      We're all defined by more than our love of games. We are complex creatures and all have different likes and dislikes. But that is also the challenge with the show. The characters are not presented in that way. They're not complex, they are walking talking caricatures. That's prime time TV though, people want to enjoy it and understand it while doing the dishes or cooking dinner. That's fine, there are many levels of entertainment.
      I relate with Gradine and others though, in that I have a strong dislike for the show. A lot of it does come from when it first started airing. Since I like comics and RPGs I must like the show. I have had people make assumptions about me in conversation because a character in the show made a throw away comment about something I like. It's frustrating to explain over and over that it's not reality.
      Since the show came out nerd culture has flourished and become mainstream and genuine. The big bang theory presents a one dimensional look at our community. I don't feel represented, I feel bummed out. But I know there are other people on TV and the internet presenting their actual love for the community in very real ways. That to me is much more exciting.
      Everyone is welcome to their own taste and I don't begrudge anyone for liking it. I wanted to explain, at least how I view, some of the negatively around the show.
      Sadras -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
      I also liked Twilight.
      I don't think anyone was prepared for this level of honesty.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Spookyboots View Post
      We're all defined by more than our love of games. We are complex creatures and all have different likes and dislikes. But that is also the challenge with the show. The characters are not presented in that way. They're not complex, they are walking talking caricatures. That's prime time TV though, people want to enjoy it and understand it while doing the dishes or cooking dinner. That's fine, there are many levels of entertainment.
      I relate with Gradine and others though, in that I have a strong dislike for the show. A lot of it does come from when it first started airing. Since I like comics and RPGs I must like the show. I have had people make assumptions about me in conversation because a character in the show made a throw away comment about something I like. It's frustrating to explain over and over that it's not reality.
      Since the show came out nerd culture has flourished and become mainstream and genuine. The big bang theory presents a one dimensional look at our community. I don't feel represented, I feel bummed out. But I know there are other people on TV and the internet presenting their actual love for the community in very real ways. That to me is much more exciting.
      Everyone is welcome to their own taste and I don't begrudge anyone for liking it. I wanted to explain, at least how I view, some of the negatively around the show.
      It’s a sitcom. I think you might be asking a bit much of it. Friends wasn’t a hard-hitting look at the plight of 20-somethings in New York, and Taxi wasn’t a detailed expose of the cab industry. Blackadder IV wasn’t a serious look at the travails of WW1.
    1. Baumi -
      Thats great news! I remember that my FLGS got quite a lot new D&D players because of Big Bang Theory. 8D
      AtomicPope -
      Quote Originally Posted by TarionzCousin View Post
      What is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar doing in this episode?
      Haven't you ever watched an episode of Scooby Doo?
      ModernApathy -
      They've always done a good job representing D&D as a positive thing on Big Bang, despite making a few jokes at its expense along the way. Sheldon running a solo game for Burnadette was one of the shows more touching moments.
      So this all star Ep looks fun to me.

On the other hand the current season of Riverdale has had an entire plot line based around 'Griffons and Gargoyles' taking heavily from the real world hysteria of the 80's as people on the show are dying from playing G&G which is a bit more problematic, but it's hard to take it too seriously.
      Fandabidozi -
      Love the show and can’t wait to watch the new season.
    1. Flexor the Mighty! -
      Comparing the D&D episodes of Community to what I've seen of this, its to me its plain which one is laughing at the D&D players and which one is laughing with them. IMO, YMMV. Obviously not a fan of this show but its not due to portrayal of D&D.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      That being said, the ending of that season is a heck of an emotional punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Blackadder IV wasn’t a serious look at the travails of WW1.
      Gradine -
      Quote Originally Posted by Spookyboots View Post
      Yeah; I want to not yuck anybody's yum and I'd be happy to with this show if I didn't think it was actively making gaming and nerd culture spaces less inclusive.

Actual Scene from The Big Bang Theory re: D&D
      Sheldon: I've never played Dungeons and Dragons with girls.

Penny: It's okay, honey, no one has.

It is beyond frustrating that this has been popular culture's perception of gaming for such a long time.

Or to quote the Idea Channel

"These games tend to conjure a very specific kind of person. But assumptions about gamers aren't based in reality, they are rather the effect of a spiteful glamour spell which was effective because of your low perception skill. Nah, JK! It's because of common assumptions based in stereotypes supported by popular media. So that's not your fault. Unless you write for Big Bang Theory in which case, it is your fault. Knock it off."
      dwayne -
      one of the few comedies i like to watch, the Good place is the other due to the off the wall aspect more than anything. But the big bang is one that is for those who are the odd ball and feel out of place and let your geek shine. I will miss the show much, the spin off young Sheldon is ok but not the same, would be kind of cool to do one with him and his wife after this is done. Set a few years later and they have had a few kids, maybe two or three, which their own was of doing things, would be a chance to present an autistic child and how others deal with them in a family. Have it be the youngest and the other two fraternal twins both smart but in each others own ways one after the father and the other the mother. The little one who is a prodigy but hides it so as not to over shadow his siblings and to avoid conflict
    Comments Leave Comment