Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!
  • Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!


    These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

    Comments 247 Comments
    1. EthanSental's Avatar
      EthanSental -
      The second page art doesn’t fit WoTC’s typical style to me....maybe just a place holder?
      Cool timing as I was actually reading the 2e Of Ships and the Sea book for some nautical themed info.
    1. the Jester's Avatar
      the Jester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Retreater View Post
      Having 20+ enemies in an area indicates this is some bad encounter design.
      I strong disagree. It might be encounter design not to your taste, but it is absolutely NOT bad.
    1. Ash Mantle -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Looks like it will mostly be an adventure. So they’re back to a spring/summer adventure and winter sourcebook. That will make four adventure books in a row.
      Could it be they'll be including an adventure in a "setting" book like how they did with Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica?
    1. Jester David's Avatar
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ash Mantle View Post
      Could it be they'll be including an adventure in a "setting" book like how they did with Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica?
      More likely an adventure with a setting, like Storm King’s Thunder or Tomb of Annihilation.
    1. Dire Bare's Avatar
      Dire Bare -
      That top image looks like the sahuagin equivalent of a cock fight! I can't read the caption, is it, "Crap! The lawmages are here! Scatter!"
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Looks like it will mostly be an adventure. So they’re back to a spring/summer adventure and winter sourcebook. That will make four adventure books in a row.
      Two in a row, Ravnica broke the streak. There is also the Acquisitions Inc book that will be on D&D Beyond in the meantime. Stewart has suggested there may be 4 WotC book this year, too.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      So, if those page numbers aren't BS, which they might be, it looks like the book opens with U3.
    1. pukunui's Avatar
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      So, if those page numbers aren't BS, which they might be, it looks like the book opens with U3.
      That would be weird. You'd think they'd redo the whole U series, not just the third one.

      I am hoping they also include an updated version of Saltmarsh from the 3.5e PHB 2.

      It would be cool if they also included an updated version of Treasure Hunt, complete with official 5e rules for 0-level characters!
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
      That would be weird. You'd think they'd redo the whole U series, not just the third one.

      I am hoping they also include an updated version of Saltmarsh from the 3.5e PHB 2.

      It would be cool if they also included an updated version of Treasure Hunt, complete with official 5e rules for 0-level characters!
      Yes, I thought that was unusual as well: however, they did change the book name in the corner, so maybe they changed the pagination to prevent any conclusions being drawn about the book.

      U3 was 48 pages long in the original format: anybody have it on hand to compare the pages in question?
    1. pukunui's Avatar
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      however, they did change the book name in the corner, so maybe they changed the pagination to prevent any conclusions being drawn about the book ...
      Yeah.

      Long Walk, Short Plank was one of the joke names they showed us a while back, right?

      U3 was 48 pages long in the original format: anybody have it on hand to compare the pages in question?
      I only have U1 and U2. Was planning on converting them to 5e eventually. If this book includes them all, that will save me a lot of trouble.
    1. Jester David's Avatar
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Two in a row, Ravnica broke the streak. There is also the Acquisitions Inc book that will be on D&D Beyond in the meantime. Stewart has suggested there may be 4 WotC book this year, too.
      Ravnica was primarily done by the MtG team and was a bonus book. How much it “counts” is debatable. If it counts, the Ravnica art book can as well.

      The AI book is licensed, but not a WotC or official book. If it counts, so does Dungeonomicon and the Endless Quest books.
    1. Zarithar's Avatar
      Zarithar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Retreater View Post
      Having 20+ enemies in an area indicates this is some bad encounter design.
      It's a sahuagin city. It's going to be... full of sahuagin. Duh.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
      Yeah.

      Long Walk, Short Plank was one of the joke names they showed us a while back, right?

      I only have U1 and U2. Was planning on converting them to 5e eventually. If this book includes them all, that will save me a lot of trouble.
      It was one of the joke names: makes me skeptical of the pagination for the time being, but reserving judgement.
    1. Zarithar's Avatar
      Zarithar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Another Tales from the Yawning Portal, at least: since the text is from U3, at least the whole U series seems likely.
      I really hope it includes the entire U series. I love it so much.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Ravnica was primarily done by the MtG team and was a bonus book. How much it “counts” is debatable. If it counts, the Ravnica art book can as well.

      The AI book is licensed, but not a WotC or official book. If it counts, so does Dungeonomicon and the Endless Quest books.
      Ravnica was overseen and edited by Crawford: he put real work into it, and it contains significant game rule content, hard to see how it wouldn't count as an official D&D sourcebook release. Given that WotC is talking about 4 books being the likely future direction, "bonus" might not be accurate either. It was released after two adventure books, and before possibly another two: hence, not four adventure sequentially without a break.

      It also remains to be seen what exactly this book is: it has some material from the U modules, but the way they were talking sight there might be new rules material as well, so a new hybrid experiment perhaps.

      The Acquisitions InC book is being sold on D&D Beyond for rules material, which those other books are not: same with Guildmasters Guide over the Art book.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zarithar View Post
      I really hope it includes the entire U series. I love it so much.
      I've heard good things, I'd like to see that.
    1. Demetrios1453's Avatar
      Demetrios1453 -
      I agree that it would be weird to start with U3 and the page count was quite possibly altered along with the joke name.

      If they do update the full U series, what else could we expect in the book if it were all adventures? We know it's going to have a nautical theme, so I'm trying, and struggling, to come up with another classic ocean/water-themed adventure. If it doesn't turn out to be "Tales from the Yawning Portal for water", I would have to believe my theory earlier in the thread would be reasonable - a water-based update to the ruleset, a bestiary, and the updated U series...
    1. pkt77242's Avatar
      pkt77242 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
      I agree that it would be weird to start with U3 and the page count was quite possibly altered along with the joke name.

      If they do update the full U series, what else could we expect in the book if it were all adventures? We know it's going to have a nautical theme, so I'm trying, and struggling, to come up with another classic ocean/water-themed adventure. If it doesn't turn out to be "Tales from the Yawning Portal for water", I would have to believe my theory earlier in the thread would be reasonable - a water-based update to the ruleset, a bestiary, and the updated U series...

      X7 The War Rafts of Kron would be another adventure that would work in a book like that.
    1. vpuigdoller's Avatar
      vpuigdoller -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      Yes, I thought that was unusual as well: however, they did change the book name in the corner, so maybe they changed the pagination to prevent any conclusions being drawn about the book.

      U3 was 48 pages long in the original format: anybody have it on hand to compare the pages in question?
      So the events in the first image are on the page 22 and 23 in the original, the wording has been updated and it seems they have renamed and updated some stufff.

      Second page stuff is on page 33 in the original. Some of the wording has been updated.

      In the first page a room was renamed from Lieutenants Quarters in the original to Wave Shaper's Quarters in the new one. The description of the room and what's in it is also different.
    1. dave2008's Avatar
      dave2008 -
      Question for those that have it: how where the pages in "Tales of the Yawning Portal" numbered? Did each adventure start a page 1 or was the whole thing number sequentially?
    Comments Leave Comment