Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!
  • Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

Comments 247 Comments
      vpuigdoller -
      At this point imo they can include conversions for U1 to U3, converted notes on Saltmarsh and include the Underwater and Navigation rules. All this would make a decent book with mini-setting, rules and adventures (maybe new monsters). They can also include the Kraken and "Falling Star" ship (the mini from wizkids and Chris Perkins) and call it a day. Let's call it Tales from the Falling Star... lol.

Outside the jokes, it seems we are getting something along those lines.

Edit: typos
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by vpuigdoller View Post
      At this point imo they can include conversions for U1 to U3, converted notes on Saltmarsh and include the Underwater and Navigation rules. All this would make a decent book with mini-setting, rules and adventures (maybe new monsters). They can also include the kraken and "Fallen Star" ship (the mini from wizkids and Chris perkins) and call it a day. Lets call it Tales from the Fallen Star... lol.

Outside the jokes, it seems we are getting something along those lines.
      My current wave is that there is an intro section on ship stuff, similar to the incongruous section on the Yawning Portal in TftYP (though probably more relevant), mainly adventure content (U1-3, not sure what else would fit: the Sea Devil stuff from 2E??), and a beastiary of monsters in the adventure material and maybe some random aquatic beasts and even random encounter tables.

Yawning Portal was a successful book, but it seems they are working to avoid it's main pitfall, being a more or less random grabbag of stuff.

My gut still feels like the Summer storyline will be seafaring too, so maybe this slots in well as an intro to a Tier 2 and up AP.
      Dr. Bull -
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
      It's a barracks. What should it contain, 20+ apple turnovers?

Mark B:

Hilarious! I wonder what the Challenge Rating for 20+ apple turnovers might be? Do they get Lair Actions? Maybe the flaked crust can cause choking damage? Perhaps they spin attack (the feared Turnover Maneuver) and then spill molten apple on their victims? Could that cause continuous fire damage (1d4 rounds)?

Seriously, though... From my old school days, a barracks full of enemies created a GREAT challenge for the players. A direct assault could easily result in a TPK. Do the PC's circumvent the threat? Lay an ambush? Create a distraction?

BTW: The DM's Guild now offer U1 (The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) as a print-on-demand. I just got it in the mail last week and the quality is excellent. It is truly a great adventure!

I think the last time I ran that module was 1987...

- Dr. Bull
      epithet -
      Maybe this time when they publish a book of Greyhawk material, they will go ahead and open up Greyhawk on the DM's Guild.
      Blue -
      If I recall, "Long Walk, Short Plank" was the name of one of the four mock-up books. And it's clearly (overly so?) listed on each of the pages shown. Are we sure these aren't mock-up pages as well? As opposed to the actual content?
      Azzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
      If I recall, "Long Walk, Short Plank" was the name of one of the four mock-up books. And it's clearly (overly so?) listed on each of the pages shown. Are we sure these aren't mock-up pages as well? As opposed to the actual content?
      Not really. If the content was simply cut-and-paste, you might be on to something, but it looks more like actual time and effort has been spent on this.
      Staffan -
      They said that the pages were slightly modified for spoilers but were otherwise the pages going into the book. They likely meant the very conspicuous "Long walk, short plank" title and the watermark.

It might be that the page numbers are correct as well and the book has an abbreviated version of the Saltmarsh stuff as an intro to a more comprehensive nautical adventure, just like Princes of the Apocalypse had Trouble in Red Larch for levels 1-3 before getting into the adventure proper.
      Parmandur -
      They said the art and text are from the new book.
      dave2008 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vpuigdoller View Post
      It was numbered sequentially. I think the pages from the preview havnt been merge yet with the rest of the chapters in the full book hence the numbering or the chapter was extracted and has its own numbering.
      Thanks!
      gyor -
      The only way I will buy this is if the adventure is on the Sea of Fallen Stars with info on the nations around and within it. If it's Greyhawk I will pass.
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      My current wave is that there is an intro section on ship stuff, similar to the incongruous section on the Yawning Portal in TftYP (though probably more relevant), mainly adventure content (U1-3, not sure what else would fit: the Sea Devil stuff from 2E??), and a beastiary of monsters in the adventure material and maybe some random aquatic beasts and even random encounter tables.

Yawning Portal was a successful book, but it seems they are working to avoid it's main pitfall, being a more or less random grabbag of stuff.

My gut still feels like the Summer storyline will be seafaring too, so maybe this slots in well as an intro to a Tier 2 and up AP.
      Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage has links to all the plots for TotYP, so it feels less of a grab beg if used with the Waterdeep Books, and more like an expansion of W: DMM.
      Joseph Nardo -
      Anyone know when this will be released?.. I have to have this!
      aco175 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      The only way I will buy this is if the adventure is on the Sea of Fallen Stars with info on the nations around and within it. If it's Greyhawk I will pass.
      I could also see something south of Waterdeep, maybe Baldur's Gate and Amn/Tethyr
      epithet -
      If they republish the Saltmarsh modules as a 5e conversion, and they feel the need to remove the adventure from Saltmarsh (which is on Oerth, the World of Greyhawk) and transplant it to the Forgotten Realms, I might have to put some effort into organizing the Greyhawk fans into some kind of actual pain in the ass until WotC quits dumping on the setting, by which I mean pillaging Greyhawk's stories and characters while continuing to forbid 3rd party Greyhawk products and 5e Greyhawk updates from being put up on the DMs Guild.

It's already gotten ridiculous, it rapidly approaching the point where my inherent laziness will be overcome.
      Hussar -
      Honestly, it's almost guaranteed that this will be set in FR. I mean, 5 years in, EVERY major AP has been set in FR (barring Ravenloft) and why on Earth would they support a setting that has been out of print since before the vast majority of D&D gamers were born?

Look, I love Greyhawk too. But, at some point we need to face facts. It's just not going to happen. They are not going to open up Greyhawk because as soon as they do, DM's Guild will be flooded with 5e remakes of classic modules. Which puts a crimp in WotC's plans to mine those classic modules for the next several years.

This year it's Saltmarsh. Maybe next year it's Slavelords. But, if they open up Greyhawk, you can bet your butt that there will be 15 Slavelord remakes up before you can blink. WotC's just not going to muddy the waters this way.

If you are a GH fan, take solace in the fact that your favorite modules ARE being remade for 5e. And well, you're just going to have to get out your magic pen and edit the modules to fit into GH and file off the FR elements.
      Sword of Spirit -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      I consider that "pitfall" to be a feature.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sword of Spirit View Post
      I consider that "pitfall" to be a feature.
      Oh, don't get me wrong, the book is great: but what does the Yawning Portal have to do with the modules in the book? Having a similar grab bag, but with a more solid metathread ("I'm on a boat!") makes good sense.
      Parmandur -
      I would expect it to be setting neutral, with suggestions for use with various settings, as with TftYP.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
      Honestly, it's almost guaranteed that this will be set in FR. I mean, 5 years in, EVERY major AP has been set in FR (barring Ravenloft) and why on Earth would they support a setting that has been out of print since before the vast majority of D&D gamers were born?

Look, I love Greyhawk too. But, at some point we need to face facts. It's just not going to happen. They are not going to open up Greyhawk because as soon as they do, DM's Guild will be flooded with 5e remakes of classic modules. Which puts a crimp in WotC's plans to mine those classic modules for the next several years.

This year it's Saltmarsh. Maybe next year it's Slavelords. But, if they open up Greyhawk, you can bet your butt that there will be 15 Slavelord remakes up before you can blink. WotC's just not going to muddy the waters this way.

If you are a GH fan, take solace in the fact that your favorite modules ARE being remade for 5e. And well, you're just going to have to get out your magic pen and edit the modules to fit into GH and file off the FR elements.
      Mike Mearls was just on Dragon Talk discussing his plans to productize Greyhawk for 5E: it's not right around the corner, but it is on the map.
      ModernApathy -
      I really thought this would be more of a Volos underwater guide than a large undersea adventure.

Looks like I was wrong. It's still cool, I'm just not sure if a big adventure (which are basically full campaigns) is what I need right now., so I hope if it's all adventure it's a bunch of different stuff like Tales of the Yawning Portal.
      Or even if it they played with the balance and gave us 100 pg adventure with 120 pg for underwater sourcebook + monsters I'd be pretty happy.
    Comments Leave Comment