Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!
  • Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

Comments 154 Comments
      Staffan -
      This seems like it's related to a remake/reimagining of the Saltmarsh series (the leather harnesses with silver buckles are all over U3). I'm hoping it will be more Tomb of Annihilation (new adventure with similar theme and some callbacks) than Tales from the Yawning Portal (straight-up remake updated to 5e).
      Zarithar -
      I support this. I loved the Saltmarsh series... my favorite aside from the Desert of Desolation series as far as oldschool adventures go.
      Aiden_Keller_ -
      This is exactly what I was hoping it would include! A Sahuagin CITY!
    1. Retreater -
      Having 20+ enemies in an area indicates this is some bad encounter design.
      dave2008 -
      So it is at least partly an adventure - good to know. Also, what is that monster in 2nd image? I recognize (part lion part fish if I remember), but can't remember what it is called.

EDIT: It's a "Sea Lion" I guess I answered my own question in my description!
      vpuigdoller -
      Maybe is a water themed Tales from the Yawning Portal.
      MarkB -
      Quote Originally Posted by Retreater View Post
      It's a barracks. What should it contain, 20+ apple turnovers?
      dave2008 -
      Why do you say that? I see nothing inherently wrong with having a large number of foes. I usually do it in waves, but we have had severally encounters of that size or larger without any issue. In fact, they tend to be the more exciting ones!
      Prakriti -
      Looks neat, but having already run The Maelstrom in Storm King's Thunder (a big underwater area), I feel kinda been-there-done-that about the whole aquatic theme.

20 small enemies is nothing a fireball or two can't clean up. We call that fireball fodder at my table. In one session, the sorcerer pretty much cleaned out a whole grimlock village that way.

Also, dungeon design and encounter design are two different things. They do not always intersect. For example, if a level-5 party picks a fight with 100 fire giants, that's not a design failure, that's a player failure.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vpuigdoller View Post
      Maybe is a water themed Tales of the Yawning Portal.
      Hopefully that combined with some overall water/nautical rules and at least a bit of a bestiary.
      dave2008 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
      Hopefully that combined with some overall water/nautical rules and at least a bit of a bestiary.
      Well they at least need Sea Lion stats! Also, most of the Adventures have had a bit of bestiary.
      vpuigdoller -
      Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
      I agree!! This has me very intrigued and excited!
      jamesjhaeck -
      Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
      Well they at least need Sea Lion stats! Also, most of the Adventures have had a bit of bestiary.
      The sea lion has actually already appeared in 5e, in Tales from the Yawning Portal!
      vecna00 -
      I haven't watched the fireside yet (had a job interview at that time), but are we looking at a full adventure for this book?
      dave2008 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jamesjhaeck View Post
      The sea lion has actually already appeared in 5e, in Tales from the Yawning Portal!
      Dang - well I didn't get that one, so there ya go.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
      I've been waiting for the eye of the deep, especially as it didn't get updated in Volo's like most of the other beholderkin.

I do see at least two new sahuagin variants in this preview, though, so we'll be seeing at least some new monsters...
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by vpuigdoller View Post
      Maybe is a water themed Tales of the Yawning Portal.
      Another Tales from the Yawning Portal, at least: since the text is from U3, at least the whole U series seems likely.
      Travis Henry -
      Could include a mini-setting: James Wyatt's D&D World of Aquela.
      Jester David -
      Looks like it will mostly be an adventure. So they’re back to a spring/summer adventure and winter sourcebook. That will make four adventure books in a row.
      Schmoe -
      Final Enemy remake?
    Comments Leave Comment