What Are These D&D 5E Notes In Monte Cook Games' Numenera Shipments?

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages. "Some very mysterious notes are being found in a few MCG shipments... We're sure we wouldn't have the faintest idea what those scrawlings might mean. PAY NO ATTENTION."

thumbnail_20190211_231335.jpg

At least one of the mods, Alpha Dean, on the unofficial Cypher discord, the Cypher Unlimited, also received a similar note in his MCG shipment.

For Monte Cooke, who worked on numerous 3e both for Wizards and third party, this would be his first 5e product [although he was part of 5E's design team for a short while]. Other WotC alumnis, Bruce Cordell and Sean Reynolds, also work for MCG and could be likely contributors.

Numenera is MCG's flagship setting for their in-house Cypher system. It's a science fantasy setting where Clarke's Law (suitably advanced science can appear as magic to the in) where strange Middle Ages/Renaissance cultures are swimming in the cast-offs of eight previous high-tech civilizations.

UPDATE: Props to dave2008 for reminding us that Monte also worked on at D&D Next, the beta playtest version of 5e and maybe some of 5e itself before leaving to create MCG and Numenera.

Von Ether

Legend
5e Numenera?!

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages! :0

https://twitter.com/MonteCookGames/status/1095155102632034306.

At least a couple of gamers from the MCG FB page and l the unofficial Cypher discord, the Cypher Unlimited, have also received similar notes in thier MCG shipments.

I remember Monte Cooke from his work on numerous 3e books both for Wizards and third party stuff (Malhavoc I think?)

This would be his first 5e product. Other Wizard alumnis, Bruce Cordell and Sean Reynolds, also work for MCG so they might also be 5e Numenera contributors.

For those who have not heard of Numenera, it's MCG's flagship setting for their in house Cypher system. It's a science fantasy setting where Clarke's Law (suitably advanced science can appear as magic to the in) where strange Middle Ages/Renaissance cultures are swimming in the cast offs of 8 previous high tech civilizations

Last edited by a moderator:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
That's exciting news! I am currently running a high-level world-hopping 5E campaign for my group, and I was considering sending them to the world of Numenera at some point. I'm going to move that down on the priority list in hopes that there might be an announcement forthcoming.

D

DQDesign

It will be interesting knowing if it will be OGL or Wotc-endorsed product, but I would bet on the first.

I feel curiosity about a d20 version of Numenera, or the Strange, but that would be a true challenge for game designers. Numenera wasn't created for a future d20 adaptation.

The more interesting notion here is that Numenera comes out with a 5th edition adaptation that then weds 5E with the really cool innovations in Numenera, including cyphers, GM intrusions and other concepts that make Numenera distinct in play. Count me in!

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
That's exciting news! I am currently running a high-level world-hopping 5E campaign for my group, and I was considering sending them to the world of Numenera at some point. I'm going to move that down on the priority list in hopes that there might be an announcement forthcoming.

I've never checked out Numenera due to the really high likelihood of not being able to run it and not needing a lot of new books in my house, but I am a big fan of that kind of Gene Wolfe/Jack Vance style so far future its fantasy. So this would be pretty cool for me.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I would be willing to try out a Numenera/The Strange conversion for 5e in the vein of Adventures in Middle-Earth!!! I personally love The Strange, its one of my favourite settings/games.

Edit: quoted wrong person sorry.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases