Epic Monsters: Cerberus (5E)

Today on Epic Monsters we visit the underworld which means of course crossing paths with Hades’ guard dog: Cerberus!

slPdQUdZa8MPGcRlwxjtLaFLeqRms-9X3pxIkEAM8v4rJUS4OkPY8i1cubD0lXm_y2x06o6sV7HdUhaaTs75vISwPOgqkW5_6rXUZ53LzaT2ZwcXvF3osMjOuEniyynkqOl0RoIB

This three-headed (possibly as many as 100 heads depending on where you look) canine keeps the dead from escaping the afterlifereally though Cerberus’ claim to fame is his capture by Heracles/Hercules as one of the twelve labors, a story celebrated again and again throughout both Greek and Roman arts. The hero is initiated into the Eleusian Mysteries and then travels into the underworld probably by way of a cave in Tainaron, guided afterward by Athena and Hermes. Once he’s down there Heracles/Hercules runs into Theseus and Pirithous (held captive for trying to rescue Persephone from hellthat whole pomegranate seeds and winter thing) then wrangles the beast. How he does so (and much more) is written about in great length and changes from author to author, but at the end of the day comes back up with Cerberus, typically with Theseus, and sometimes Pirithous too.

Design Notes:This is actually a conversion from Sean K. Reynold’s excellent New Argonauts with a little bit extra tacked in (a breath weapon). He thought a smaller puppified version would be useful for folks and I am in full agreement on thatif you are too here’s a cerberean hound.

Cerberus
Huge monstrosity, neutral

Armor Class
15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 152 (16d12+48)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
22 (+6)
15 (+2)
17 (+3)
7 (-2)
12 (+1)
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +6
Skills Insight +5, Perception +7, Stealth +5, Survival +4
Damage Resistances cold, fire, necrotic, radiant
Senses darkvision 200 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Common
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Ageless. Cerberus cannot suffer from frailty of old age, die from old age, or be aged magically.

Snake-Tail. Cerberus’ uses its Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls with its snake-tail.

Three Heads. Cerberus gains double his proficiency bonus to and has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks. In addition, he has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, or knocked unconscious.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Cerberus makes three bite attacks and one snake-tail attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d10+6) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Snake-Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.

Poison Foam (Recharge 5-6). Cerberus exhales a spray of toxic liquid in a 20-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

dave2008

Legend
In general I like this, but to me, this seems like a "puppified" version of Cerberus. I would expect a legendary monster with a CR in the 15-25 range. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: As always, thank you for another interesting entry.

dave2008

Legend
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking:

Cerberus
Huge beast, neutral

Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 270 (20d12+140)
Speed 50 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)15 (+2) 25 (+7)7(-2)12 (+1) 18 (+4)

Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +13
Skills Insight +8, Intimidation +16, Perception +13, Stealth +8, Survival +7
Damage Resistances cold, fire, necrotic, radiant
Senses darkvision 200 ft., passive Perception 23
Languages Common
Challenge 20 (don't have the chat in front of me XP)

Ageless. Cerberus cannot suffer from frailty of old age, die from old age, or be aged magically.

Juggernaut. If Cerberus fails a saving throw, it can use a reaction to re-roll the saving throw. It must use the result of the second roll.

Magic Resistance. Cerberus has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Cerberus's weapon attacks are considered magical for overcoming resistances and immunities.

Savage. Cerberus's can use a bonus action to make a bite attack on a creature it has grappled or is prone within its reach.

Snake-Tail. Cerberus’ uses its Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls with its snake-tail.

Three Heads. Cerberus gains double his proficiency bonus to and has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks. In addition, he has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, or knocked unconscious.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Cerberus makes three bite attacks and one snake-tail attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10+6) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) acid damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be grappled. A Medium or smaller greater grappled this way is also restrained.

Snake-Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (3d4+2) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) poison damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned.

Vitriolic Spray (Recharge 5-6). Cerberus exhales a spray of toxic acidic liquid in a 20-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw, taking 59 (17d6) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS

You know what these are, he gets 3 of them.

Detect. Cerberus makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Leap (Costs 2 Actions). Cerberus leaps up to twice its movement. If it lands in an occupied space, each creature in the area must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or take 32 (4d12 + 6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. If a creature succeeds on its saving throw it is pushed to an unoccupied space adjacent to Cerberus.

I would like to have more, but the simple ones would change the CR and I don't want to do that at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Very cool! I've got it in my head that somewhere down the line there'll be a Heracles/Hercules build (which needs to be able to handily defeat Cerberus) but if there's GM in need of a sizable underworld guardian this will definitely fit the bill (and would be an *excellent* addition to The River Styx). ^_^

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
It seems weird that he (the original stat block) doesn't have Legendary Actions or Lair Actions considering that Cerberus is a legendary mythic beast ostensibly charged with guarding a specific gateway (IIRC). (also, o hai mike)

Oh, and Cerberus is definitely a Monstrosity, not a Beast, if I understand monster types correctly.

dave2008

Legend
Very cool! I've got it in my head that somewhere down the line there'll be a Heracles/Hercules build (which needs to be able to handily defeat Cerberus) but if there's GM in need of a sizable underworld guardian this will definitely fit the bill (and would be an *excellent* addition to The River Styx). ^_^

Yep, I thought that might be an issue. Though I don't know that Herakles needs to "handily" defeat Cerberus.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
It's weird that it has Advantage on saving throws against being charmed or knocked unconscious. I always thought that was its weakness.
That's what multi-headed monsters get in 5E! Which myth are you thinking of for him being charmed? Orpheus and the flute? I think in that one he puts Cerberus to sleep (which can still happen here it's just hard--you'd have to be some kind of legendary musician to pull that off ;) ).

It seems weird that he (the original stat block) doesn't have Legendary Actions or Lair Actions considering that Cerberus is a legendary mythic beast ostensibly charged with guarding a specific gateway (IIRC). (also, o hai mike)

Oh, and Cerberus is definitely a Monstrosity, not a Beast, if I understand monster types correctly.
Yo! Cerberus getting Lair actions off of the Gates of Hades is a little more God of War than we're shooting for here. I can get behind the creature type being monstrosity rather than beast (his parents are definitely monsters).

Yep, I thought that might be an issue. Though I don't know that Herakles needs to "handily" defeat Cerberus.
Aye maybe not handily. I doubt he's going to break CR 18-19 though so Cerberus at 20 is past his grade.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases