Unboxing the Stranger Things D&D Starter Set
  • Unboxing the Stranger Things D&D Starter Set

WotC's Greg Tito unboxed the Stranger Things D&D Starter Set a couple of days ago. Here's a quick peek inside!

Comments 17 Comments
      CptPhoenix -
      The beginners set for 4e wasn't as great as the Pathfinder beginner box, so I'm still on the fence about this one. I want 7 dice, maps, and counters, otherwise it feels like it's missing a lot.
      Superchunk77 -
      A lot of empty air in that box.
      pauldanieljohnson -
      Quote Originally Posted by CptPhoenix View Post
      The beginners set for 4e wasn't as great as the Pathfinder beginner box, so I'm still on the fence about this one. I want 7 dice, maps, and counters, otherwise it feels like it's missing a lot.
      IIRC, the 4e starter set was also less than half the price of the Pathfinder beginner box, so it would be a bit odd if it was as great.
    1. storm_wolf -
      I would have preferred a more Expert Set/Blue Box feel as the kids's characters are established from the series, maybe starting them off at level 3 instead of level 1. Having the adventure start around level 3 and finish around level 10 would give a lot more material to use with a still easy entry point.

Please stop Red Boxing, you did it in 4th edition, and now 5th, you are making enough new awesome you don't need to crutch from old awesome.
      Paul Farquhar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Superchunk77 View Post
      It's purpose is display.
      Rellott -
      Quote Originally Posted by storm_wolf View Post
      I would have preferred a more Expert Set/Blue Box feel as the kids's characters are established from the series, maybe starting them off at level 3 instead of level 1. Having the adventure start around level 3 and finish around level 10 would give a lot more material to use with a still easy entry point.
      Except this sort of crossover material is at least partially intended to get fans of Stranger Things to start playing D&D. Starting at level 1 makes that onboarding easier and makes them more likely to stick around.
    1. Retreater -
      That's the Upside-Down
      EthanSental -
      Looks like a fun box, glad I preordered it!
      guachi -
      Wow. Those screenshots look like the most unprofessional unboxing I've ever seen. And, sadly, I've seen my share of unboxing videos.

The set looks fine. But that video is amateur hour looking.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by guachi View Post
      Wow. Those screenshots look like the most unprofessional unboxing I've ever seen. And, sadly, I've seen my share of unboxing videos.

The set looks fine. But that video is amateur hour looking.
      The poor screenshots are my fault, not his.

His incorrect pronunciation of “coup de grace” is all his though!
      Bupp -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
      It's purpose is display.
      It's not just display, but meant for a beginning player or DM to use the box to carry around character sheets, dice, pens, and other gaming needs.
      guachi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      The poor screenshots are my fault, not his.

His incorrect pronunciation of “coup de grace” is all his though!
      The screenshots may be yours but having now watched part of the video your screenshots are an accurate representation of the video. It's awful video quality. The video is SD quality. It looks like a video from my cheap mediocre camera I had 15 years ago.

I couldn't find where he says "coup de grace". Does he pronounce "grace" like "grah" (wrong) or "grahss" (right)?

I'm optimistic about the Stranger Things set. The boat shown at the end was very unimpressive.
    1. hopeless -
      Do they have the rights to do one based on the original Dungeons & Dragons animated series...

Does it include a folded play map...
      thawizkid -
      I don’t get why this isn’t on the Wizards D&D website yet?
      Zardnaar -
      Probably should have made the box blue, it was the expert set in ST season 1?
      AllegedObserver -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bupp View Post
      It's not just display, but meant for a beginning player or DM to use the box to carry around character sheets, dice, pens, and other gaming needs.
      Since when do DMs need a box to put their stuff in? Did people stop using binders, backpacks, messenger bags, etc? I agree with the person who made the comment "a lot of empty air"... its way over packaged.
      Doctor Bedlam -
      There was a time when y'needed that extra space for modules, add ons, screens...
    Comments Leave Comment