Modiphius To Distribute Sean Astin's Grimmerspace

Like many others, Iron GM Games has partnered with Modiphius for distribution of its upcoming Grimmerspace setting for the Starfinder RPG. This is the game that recruited Sean Astin and Wesley Snipes to help with the development, although Snipes does not get mentioned in this latest announcement.

Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 17.22.43.png

Grimmerspace is coming to Kickstarter in May 2019. Here's the latest announcement:

Modiphius is proud to announce an exciting worldwide distribution deal with Iron GM Games for Grimmerspace which is coming to Kickstarter in May 2019. Grimmerspace is a sci-fi horror RPG setting for the hit Starfinder™ roleplaying game by Paizo Publishing, co-developed by beloved actor/director Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings, Stranger Things), along with award-winning game designers Lou Agresta and Rone Barton.

Grimmerspace is set in a non-magical, science-fiction horror universe, and the citizens of Grimmerspace (“Grimmers”) are veterans of fighting alien abominations from the depths. Despite its strangeness and its terrors, their world remains a rational, scientific reality. Until now.

The Grimmers don't know it yet, but the evil Sundermages -- near-immortal sorcerers wielding godlike power -- ripped into their universe not long ago through a vast tear in space-time called the Seethe. As the Seethe leaks magic into their galaxy for the first time, the Sundermages plot from the shadows to conquer the five distinct, technological civilizations of Grimmerspace .

Soon, science and magic will come to world-ending blows.

Grimmerspace takes place in the Gilding Rim Galaxy, aka the G-Rim. The core narrative tension of the universe is a conflict between technology and magic as the galaxy, previously devoid of magic, is flipped upside down by the arrival of powerful mages. Will you choose bullets or fireballs to wage war against alien horrors?

The 2019 fully funded Grimmerspace Kickstarter will include five game books and a quick-start guide so that you can get right into the action.

The Grimmerspace Sci-Fi Setting and Adventures book offers over 14 adventures that explore 14 unique locales across the Gliding Rim galaxy. Learn more about these regions, their riches, the civilizations that vie to control them, and the terrors that lie in wait during the Grimmerspace Kickstarter.

From the twisted mind of horror master Richard Pett comes Abattoir 8, the chilling tale of a sub-orbital meat processing plant gone dark. We’re giving it away, but get on the list for early access! Learn more about Abattoir 8, its place in the 48-page adventure Casket of the Cull, and receiving your print copy during theGrimmerspace Kickstarter.

Grimmerspace comes with a free, easy-to-download Jumpstart guide so you can get right into the action, whether you're new to roleplaying games or haven't played in years. In fact, you can grab the Jumpstart for free even if that’s all you decide to do, just by visiting the Grimmerspace Kickstarter page.

Modiphius will be supporting Iron GM Games with marketing and logistical support to help Grimmerspace reach a much wider audience and is using their long experience with crowdfunding to consult and advise the team on delivering a successful Kickstarter project.

Actor Sean Astin is creative developer on Grimmerspace, injecting his considerable experience within science fiction and fantasy worlds into the eclectic mix of sci-fi horror that is Grimmerspace.

Rone Barton is an award - winning game designer and podcaster who is now the co-founder of Iron GM games and co-producer of the Iron GM Tournament which has tested the ability of Games Masters for over a decade.

Lou Agresta is a game designer and novelist who delivered the five time Ennie- nominated Razor Coast and developed Heart of the Razor, its award - winning companion novel.

I wonder about this settings would allow the mind transfer and digital immortality, something I miss in the current sci-fi RPGs since I bought my Eclipse Phase corebook.

dwayne

Adventurer
I wonder about this settings would allow the mind transfer and digital immortality, something I miss in the current sci-fi RPGs since I bought my Eclipse Phase corebook.

have you even looked at the Ultramodern5 (5th Edition), NeuroSpasta (5E), and Apex-5E From Dias Ex Machina Games they are great

Rone Barton

Explorer
If you'd like a peek at what we're putting together for Grimmerspace, check out Sean Astin's video on our site and he'll give you a quick tour:

As for why Snipes isn't mentioned in this press release from Modiphius. Simple truth there is that he's no longer involved with Grimmerspace. We were connected to him through a third party who set up the deal but then couldn't get him to return our contract signed. Repeated attempts to reach him failed. We waited for many months for any sign of life but eventually realized we could either keep waiting for him because, after all, we were told that we could announce his involvement and so we did, or we could just move on without him and give gamers the game we'd promised them. So much work was put into this game already that losing one big name was not going to hobble things any more than the delay it had already caused. However, during that delay we were also writing, editing, art designing, spending whatever money and time we had to add to the book and adventures. If you check out the grimmerspace.com link above, you'll likely get a sense of how much effort we've put into this. So in a strange way, although humbling, the forced delay would wind up making our project much stronger.

If you want to know more about Grimmerspace, we'll be making regular posts about our content and contributors over at our Grimmerspace Facebook group and on our Iron GM Games Facebook page (@grimmerspace on Twitter as well) and we'd be grateful for any attention you might spare us as we get this enormous endeavor off the ground. Please bring ropes and pulleys. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike O'Neal

First Post
Thanks for the update Rone! I am so pumped for this. I have a group that plays starfinder every other week and this is EXACTLY our jam.

Rone Barton

Explorer
Thanks for the update Rone! I am so pumped for this. I have a group that plays starfinder every other week and this is EXACTLY our jam.

Very cool, Mike! Will you be at Paizocon? We'll have four GMs there that will be running Abattoir 8, the first Starfinder horror adventure written by fan-favorite author Richard Pett.

Mike O'Neal

First Post
Very cool, Mike! Will you be at Paizocon? We'll have four GMs there that will be running Abattoir 8, the first Starfinder horror adventure written by fan-favorite author Richard Pett.

I wish I could make it, but i only get to travel to DragonCon. I am looking forward to the release of this though! I know our whole group started giggling with joy when we were reading about it!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases