Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps
  • Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps

Here's a sneak peek at some of the maps to be found in the upcoming D&D Ghosts of Saltmarsh, courtesy of WotC's Twitch stream.

And Dyson Logos, one of the cartographers for the book, has shared some of his work which will be appearing!

Comments 85 Comments
      robus -
      I think the black & white maps are good as they’re something that we as DMs (and amateur map-makers) can aspire to emulate for our own creations.
      Hussar -
      I have to admit, I don't really like the Dyson Logos maps. I'm sorry, I just don't. Some of them look good, but, I'd much rather have full color maps. I play online and having these black and white line maps just doesn't do it for me. Compared to what you can do, a la those map links above, these line drawn maps are not to my taste.
      MNblockhead -
      I love/hate the Dyson maps. I love them as a DM reference when they are not being shown to players. Very easy to read and run the adventure in. But if you want to use them as a battlemap, they are disappointing. Luckily, within weeks of the book being released, I expect that there will be artists releasing full-color digital battlemap versions.
    1. Bolongo -
      I think you've made a mistake or misunderstood something here.

While the town map is new, the rest are not. They're just straight up scans out of a copy of U1.
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bolongo View Post

While the town map is new, the rest are not. They're just straight up scans out of a copy of U1.
      Ah, well Dyson has nailed the classic style then, because I certainly thought he’d contributed those!
      Parmandur -

No, they showed the black and white maps on Spoilers & Swag and credited Dyson Logos. The originals were blue scale, not black and white.
      Morrus -

Well Dyson Logos says he did them. I’m inclined to believe him.
      Jacob Lewis -

I thought so, too. So I pulled out my original copies of the module to compare. The details are almost identical down to the contents, size, and number of each room. But there also enough subtle differences to realize that the Dyson maps are, in fact, not just scanned copies of the originals.

Either way, I find this disappointing. The Saltmarsh series has always been one of my favorites from the beginning. Even though I don't play 5e, I had actually considered pre-ordering this one, which is something I rarely do. But seeing the original maps and a lot of the same text reprinted has changed my mind. I don't need a reprint of what I already own and can easily convert to whatever system I prefer to use.

At least with previous products rehashing old modules, there seemed to be a little more creative effort and a new spin on things. I guess this is why I am not part of the target audience for this edition. But so close! I do hope the new players will enjoy this one.
      Rhineglade -
      Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
      How come the ocean is on the wrong side to be Sword Coast.
      Probably because the original was set in the World of Greyhawk located in southern Keoland along the coast of the Azure Sea.
    1. Bolongo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lewis View Post
      I thought so, too. So I pulled out my original copies of the module to compare. The details are almost identical down to the contents, size, and number of each room. But there also enough subtle differences to realize that the Dyson maps are, in fact, not just scanned copies of the originals.
      Huh. I mean, they even have the artifacts typical of scanning an old copy (some dirt, weak lines, and the like).

But if you say so.

That's really disappointing, I agree.
    1. Bolongo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Well Dyson Logos says he did them. I’m inclined to believe him.
      I didn't mean that anybody was lying. I just thought you'd used the wrong pictures.

But another poster has made a close analysis and says they're very slightly different from the originals, so I'll believe it.

That just leaves me very, very disappointed. Dyson is a talented guy, I've paid for his maps in the past. Why would WotC set him to essentially tracing over old stuff?
    1. WaterRabbit -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rhineglade View Post
      Probably because the original was set in the World of Greyhawk located in southern Keoland along the coast of the Azure Sea.
      No that is incorrect. The original U1 series wasn't set in any particular game setting. It was later placed in Greyhawk.
      DEFCON 1 -
      I didn't mean that anybody was lying. I just thought you'd used the wrong pictures.

But another poster has made a close analysis and says they're very slightly different from the originals, so I'll believe it.

That just leaves me very, very disappointed. Dyson is a talented guy, I've paid for his maps in the past. Why would WotC set him to essentially tracing over old stuff?
      Most likely because a new photoshopped version of the maps can be blown up to higher resolution when necessary than just scanned copies usually can.
      Rhineglade -
      Quote Originally Posted by WaterRabbit View Post
      No that is incorrect. The original U1 series wasn't set in any particular game setting. It was later placed in Greyhawk.
      Text from the actual print: "On the WORLD OFGREYHAWKª map, Saltmarsh is placed in the southernmost part of Keoland, at the western edge of hex U4/123."
      Gradine -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rhineglade View Post
      Text from the actual print: "On the WORLD OFGREYHAWKª map, Saltmarsh is placed in the southernmost part of Keoland, at the western edge of hex U4/123."
      How many more threads must we dispense with this misconception? There is literally exponentially more guidance on how to set Princes of the Apocalypse in Dark Sun than that.

Saltmarsh, like many classic adventures, were designed to be setting agnostic. That many of those provided throw-away guidance on how to set the thing in Greyhawk does not change that.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
      I love/hate the Dyson maps. I love them as a DM reference when they are not being shown to players. Very easy to read and run the adventure in. But if you want to use them as a battlemap, they are disappointing. Luckily, within weeks of the book being released, I expect that there will be artists releasing full-color digital battlemap versions.
      I agree with you on this. I do love them while running tabletop adventures for their simplicity and ease of use. But, yes, they certainly aren't pretty, which is a drawback at other times, and which lessens their value for those who run online games...
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
      How come the ocean is on the wrong side to be Sword Coast.
      Outside the fact that, as others have mentioned, it's setting agnostic, it could be placed on the Sword Coast on a bay or estuary. After all, Baldur's Gate's shore is on the south side of the city as well, and it's on the Sword Coast, just on the north bank of a river estuary...
      Hussar -
      Huh. That is an interesting question. If you wanted to place this in the Sword Coast, where would you?
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
      Huh. That is an interesting question. If you wanted to place this in the Sword Coast, where would you?
      "The Styes" from Dungeon actually looks to have suggested Coromyr's southeast coast as a FR suggestion: they can make a FR suggestion that is not the Sword Coast.
      Hussar -
      Huh, it wasn't as hard as I thought. The Saltmarsh map puts north to the left (boo, you are BAD people who do this. North is the top of the page!!!) which means there's a pretty little river right between Fireshear and Luskan near the Ten Towns that would fit perfectly.
    Comments Leave Comment