Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks
  • Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

Announced at Gary Con this weekend, Expedition is due out in September. Like the others in the Original Adventures Reincarnated series, it contains the original module, handouts, and an updated 5E version.

The adventure features a crashed spaceship, robots, ray guns, and plant people.

You can find out more directly from GG's website here.
    Comments 67 Comments
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ralif Redhammer View Post
      I doubt we’ll see the Slavers series, since the 1e versions already got a deluxe reprint a few years ago.
      So did S1 and S2, both of which are in Yawning Portal. But the premium reprint of Dungeons of Dread came out in 2013, two editions of Dungeons & Dragons ago. I don't think that means much at this point.

Goodman Games seems to be leaning in on the earlier classics. Maybe the next one will be a Forgotten The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth / Temple of Tharizdun pairing?
      That'd be a great pairing, but I don't know that it would appeal to the fans as much as these first three choices have. (Which is likely also why Silver Princess wasn't chosen.) All three they've picked so far are easily among the most popular old school adventures.
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      I agree DoD is probably not going to be licensed, but not because of a latter-day FR connection. They are unlikely to give it out because it is perfect for a Ghosts of Saltmarsh/Curse of Strahd style project, maybe mixing in some other desert modules and rules for desert exploration...
      I concur. There's almost definitely enough compatible Dungeon adventures they can flesh it out with, too, along with good desert/Pharaonic monsters.
      Dire Bare -
      Have they mentioned PDFs yet? I'm interested in these classic products, but don't want the physical books.
      Azzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      Have they mentioned PDFs yet? I'm interested in these classic products, but don't want the physical books.
      Unfortunately, these books won't get the PDF treatment. If they did, I'd buy them, too, but alas!
      Zarithar -
      Didn't the Slavers series already get a 5e reprint for the playtest or am I mis-remembering?
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zarithar View Post
      Didn't the Slavers series already get a 5e reprint for the playtest or am I mis-remembering?
      That was a straight reprint of the AD&D modules, easu enough to use with the playtest and I'm sure people did. That was 6 years ago at this point, and has been out of print for a long time.
      lowkey13 -
      Thoughts-

1. I recently ran the Goodman Games B2. They did a great conversion! I think I already had a post on it. Lemme see ...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...pdated-Classic

There it is! Quick version- they do a great job.

2. I have mixed emotions about this, given that Expedition is (IMO) a stone-cold classic.

a. On the one hand, Goodman will do a great job, and will probably provide a lot of great and interesting additional historical information and interviews. FUN!

b. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to convert on the fly, and this means that WoTC will probably NOT be updating it for 5e. Which means (again, IMO) that 5e will not be doing much genre-bending, "fun" types of adventures. One of the things that I miss from 1e is the sense of adventure, that the worlds were separated by a thin veneer; that your campaign and another campaign co-existed, and that it was plausible to have both "straight" fantasy, as well as undiscovered aliens and crossovers with gamma world. Oh well.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
      Thoughts-

1. I recently ran the Goodman Games B2. They did a great conversion! I think I already had a post on it. Lemme see ...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...pdated-Classic

There it is! Quick version- they do a great job.

2. I have mixed emotions about this, given that Expedition is (IMO) a stone-cold classic.

a. On the one hand, Goodman will do a great job, and will probably provide a lot of great and interesting additional historical information and interviews. FUN!

b. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to convert on the fly, and this means that WoTC will probably NOT be updating it for 5e. Which means (again, IMO) that 5e will not be doing much genre-bending, "fun" types of adventures. One of the things that I miss from 1e is the sense of adventure, that the worlds were separated by a thin veneer; that your campaign and another campaign co-existed, and that it was plausible to have both "straight" fantasy, as well as undiscovered aliens and crossovers with gamma world. Oh well.
      2b was my initial thought as well: makes sense from a branding perspective, I suppose, though WotC knows people will do as they will.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      You know, I just discovered that last night. I had completely forgotten about the Dungeons of Dread book. Don't know how, as it's a lovely collection!

They are picking the greatest hits, true. Village of Hommlet (uncoupled from ToEE) would be a solid choice; that's also one of my favorite 1e modules, and pretty legendary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang Dustyboots View Post
      So did S1 and S2, both of which are in Yawning Portal. But the premium reprint of Dungeons of Dread came out in 2013, two editions of Dungeons & Dragons ago. I don't think that means much at this point.

That'd be a great pairing, but I don't know that it would appeal to the fans as much as these first three choices have. (Which is likely also why Silver Princess wasn't chosen.) All three they've picked so far are easily among the most popular old school adventures.
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      I started playing long enough ago, and there was such a huge gap between T1 and T1-4, that the Temple of Elemental Evil feels like it belongs to a later era of adventures to me. It feels like a peer to the Dragonlance adventures, which I wouldn't expect Goodman to be touching. (If anything, I think Margaret Weis would end up taking another crack at Krynn before anyone else does, including WotC.)
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang Dustyboots View Post
      I started playing long enough ago, and there was such a huge gap between T1 and T1-4, that the Temple of Elemental Evil feels like it belongs to a later era of adventures to me. It feels like a peer to the Dragonlance adventures, which I wouldn't expect Goodman to be touching. (If anything, I think Margaret Weis would end up taking another crack at Krynn before anyone else does, including WotC.)
      Oh, man, maybe sooner, or maybe later, but eventually the Dragonlance modules are screaming for a Ghosts of Saltmarsh style treatment. They'd have to pull a DotMM and go past their usual page count, but it would be worth it for them in terms of ROI.

Temple of Elemental Evil also seems well poised to make the center of a multi-module sandbox remake.
      thundershot -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      Whatever agreement they have with WOTC prevents them from producing them in digital format. I was going back and forth just trying to get map files with no success...
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      It's not ideal, but the PDF of the original is only $5 at the usual PDF stores.
      chibi graz'zt -
      Cant wait; just picked up the first 2; this is becoming a hit product for Goodman; while I don't play DCC I do love these D&D collectors reprints.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by chibi graz'zt View Post
      Cant wait; just picked up the first 2; this is becoming a hit product for Goodman; while I don't play DCC I do love these D&D collectors reprints.
      When they announced Isle of Dread, they said Into the Borderlands was their best selling product...ever.
      qstor -
      Looking forward to this
      MNblockhead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      When they announced Isle of Dread, they said Into the Borderlands was their best selling product...ever.
      I never bought anything from Goodman Games until their Keep in the Borderlands book. Not only have I now bought two expensive TTRPG books from them because of this series, but it also introduced the company to me and created a lot of Goodwill. I skipped their Lankmar kickstarted because it wasn't 5e, but my experiences with the quality of this series made me take the time to look into DCC and to sign up for a Lankhmar game at a recent convention and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying their Lankhmar setting when it is released. I also discovered that they were selling the old Grimtooth Traps books (I don't believe they were the original publishers, but don't remember) and bought the PDF versions. I have not bought any of their 5th edition fantasy adventure modules, but they are now on my RADAR.

Not sure if I'm at all representative of their new customers, but if I am, not only did the book sell very well itself, it lead to purchases of their other material and greatly increased their brand recognition and goodwill.
      dnd4vr -
      Never liked this module either so yeah, Hard Skip for me too. Still, I am happy to see these being made and surprised WotC doesn't do it themselves.

I enjoyed Isle of Dread though, but I am waiting for Against the Giants and a few others. We've run Keep on the Borderlands. It was good work, but in retrospect our DM said he could have just as easily converted it himself and saved $50. I found it interesting to read some of the additional content personally, however.
    1. BMaC -
      Another attractive volume for the bookshelf. Also potential mini campaign when linked to the new Kwalish adventure.
      lowkey13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
      I never bought anything from Goodman Games until their Keep in the Borderlands book. Not only have I now bought two expensive TTRPG books from them because of this series, but it also introduced the company to me and created a lot of Goodwill. I skipped their Lankmar kickstarted because it wasn't 5e, but my experiences with the quality of this series made me take the time to look into DCC and to sign up for a Lankhmar game at a recent convention and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying their Lankhmar setting when it is released. I also discovered that they were selling the old Grimtooth Traps books (I don't believe they were the original publishers, but don't remember) and bought the PDF versions. I have not bought any of their 5th edition fantasy adventure modules, but they are now on my RADAR.

Not sure if I'm at all representative of their new customers, but if I am, not only did the book sell very well itself, it lead to purchases of their other material and greatly increased their brand recognition and goodwill.

Oh man. I know. I already posted on my experiences with their reboot of B1/B2.

If they published a full Lankhmar 5e, especially if they also included the old City of Lankhmar ...

I would just start throwing money at them. All the money. I would probably start throwing your money, too.
    Comments Leave Comment