Arcana of The Ancients: 5E Sci-Fantasy From Monte Cook Games Launches On KS
  • Arcana of The Ancients: 5E Sci-Fantasy From Monte Cook Games Launches On KS


    Monte Cook Games' 5E "Science Fantasy Sourcebook", Arcana of the Ancients, has launched on Kickstarter.




    "Arcana of the Ancients is a sourcebook for 5th edition players and GMs to bring the wonders of mysterious technology and weird science-fantasy elements to their traditional fantasy campaigns. Designed by Monte Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, and Sean K. Reynolds, all of whom have years of professional design experience working on the world's most popular roleplaying game, this gorgeously illustrated hardcover sourcebook gives you everything you need to add a whole new element to your 5E game."

    It's $50 for the hardcover, or $20 for the PDF. If you want to play Numenera with the 5E rules, this looks like the way you'd do that.


    Comments 40 Comments
    1. MonteCookGames's Avatar
      MonteCookGames -
      Hey folks!

      We're so excited for this project. For years we've been asked when Monte, Bruce, and Sean might return to the world's most popular role-playing game. Especially with Monte's involvement in 5E design, it's an absolute delight to be bringing this team back to their roots, having trained on the mountain of Numenera prior-world weirdness for several years.

      If you're looking for more behind the project, Matt Miller of Game Informer interviewed Monte Cook about his experience with D&D and what he's looking forward to in this new endeavor.

      We hope you join us on this adventure, and find great use out of the bizarre creatures, tech, abilities, and adventures in Arcana of the Ancients!
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonteCookGames View Post
      Hey folks!

      We're so excited for this project. For years we've been asked when Monte, Bruce, and Sean might return to the world's most popular role-playing game. Especially with Monte's involvement in 5E design, it's an absolute delight to be bringing this team back to their roots, having trained on the mountain of Numenera prior-world weirdness for several years.

      If you're looking for more behind the project, Matt Miller of Game Informer interviewed Monte Cook about his experience with D&D and what he's looking forward to in this new endeavor.

      We hope you join us on this adventure, and find great use out of the bizarre creatures, tech, abilities, and adventures in Arcana of the Ancients!
      Is that you, Charles?
    1. Dire Bare's Avatar
      Dire Bare -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonteCookGames View Post
      Hey folks!
      I'd like to back the project for the hardcover & pdf, plus all the PDF stretch goals. I don't want print copies of the stretch goals. There doesn't seem to be a tier for that, or any add-ons.
    1. Gradine's Avatar
      Gradine -
      Not gonna lie, this is probably the first kickstarter I'm going to actually back. I'm curious to see what the list of stretch goals is.

      I'll also second @Dire_Bare's request; that would definitely be my preferred backer level.
    1. TarionzCousin's Avatar
      TarionzCousin -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonteCookGames View Post
      Hey folks!
      Hey!

      I'm looking forward to this. I own several Numenera products and am wondering how much of this is original, non-Numenera stuff and how much is already-existing wonderful N weirdness with different statistics.
    1. shadowva's Avatar
      shadowva -
      Been waiting for this to drop, already in. Seeing the Goodman Games announcement this morning about bringing Barrier Peaks to 5E, I wish they would collaborate and use the same technology rules.
    1. Matthan's Avatar
      Matthan -
      I feel like there is a lot of stuff missing for this launch. I can't find a projected page count for the book for example. I understand they want to hold stretch goals close to their chest, but they aren't even mentioning the first one or two to give a sense of the scale that they're looking at to make these higher pledges worthwhile. Dire Bare mentioned that there isn't any pledge level to give you the print of the main book and the pdfs of the stretch goals which seems like a glaring oversight. You could say that it would be an add-on, but they don't have any costs for those listed (though I saw some numbers in the comments).

      It just feels like this campaign needed a little more time to prep. I've never backed one of their KS campaigns before, but I know they have a good reputation in the community. This feels like putting the wrong foot forward for new customers though. I guess I'll check back in towards the end to see if it makes more sense then.
    1. lkj's Avatar
      lkj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      I'd like to back the project for the hardcover & pdf, plus all the PDF stretch goals. I don't want print copies of the stretch goals. There doesn't seem to be a tier for that, or any add-ons.
      I also want this.

      AD
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by Matthan View Post
      I feel like there is a lot of stuff missing for this launch. I can't find a projected page count for the book for example. I understand they want to hold stretch goals close to their chest, but they aren't even mentioning the first one or two to give a sense of the scale that they're looking at to make these higher pledges worthwhile.
      This was my impression as well. At least have one or two stretch goals, especially since they will be hitting their $50,000 goal soon, it seems. And since they've done KS before, they should have been aware of how fast $50,000 would be reached.
    1. MonteCookGames's Avatar
      MonteCookGames -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Is that you, Charles?
      This one is a Darcy! Charles was disintegrated by some strange glowing light, it's a darn shame. :-)

      Some info:
      Add-ons: The add-on info is now up on the main page!

      If you'd like to get all the PDFs + the corebook in print, simply back at the EVERY PDF! level and add $50 to your pledge. After the Kickstarter closes, we'll ask you in BackerKit which add-ons the extra funds go toward.

      Page count: While we won't announce an official page count, you can expect it to be comparable to our other books around that price range, which tend to be in the mid-200s of pages.

      Stretch goals: Our Kickstarters tend to be really dynamic, and we love getting to listen and respond to what folks are asking for. We definitely have some ideas up our sleeves, and we will announce upon funding (which could be soon).

      I hope that helps, folks! You rock.
    1. dave2008's Avatar
      dave2008 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      I'd like to back the project for the hardcover & pdf, plus all the PDF stretch goals. I don't want print copies of the stretch goals. There doesn't seem to be a tier for that, or any add-ons.
      Every PDF tier gets you every PDF, then there is a print ADD ON. So $115 gets you all PDFs and the print copy of the core book only.
    1. Doctor Futurity -
      I'm in! Been waiting for this to start. I am on hiatus from 5E but this book's release will suck me back.

      I will probably get the higher "want it all" tier when I see what that entails.
    1. Stacie GmrGrl's Avatar
      Stacie GmrGrl -
      This combined with Ravnica and the Dark Matter setting by MHP.
    1. TrickyUK -
      $20 for the Core book on PDF and $60 for Core + stretch goals. So that would suggest that there are least $40 worth of additional content already planned. The problem here is a little chicken and egg - if I knew what the stretch goals were, I may choose the higher pledge, but not revealing stretch goals until a certain amount of funding has been reached means I'm going to sit on the fence until I think that the additional $40 is worth it. But, by pledging less, the stretch goals aren't revealed. My preference would be to see a few stretch goals at launch, at least enough to entice me to choose a pledge that presumes stretch goals will be reached.

      However, I'm sure that once the campaign really picks up, there will be plenty of funding, so in reality this won't be an issue for too long.
    1. jhilahd's Avatar
      jhilahd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      I'd like to back the project for the hardcover & pdf, plus all the PDF stretch goals. I don't want print copies of the stretch goals. There doesn't seem to be a tier for that, or any add-ons.
      This is a "me too". Even though I caved in for just the hardcover and pdf.
    1. Reynard -
      As I understand it, the stretch goal thing is pretty standard for MCG Kickstarters.

      Anyone who backed, say, the Numenera at "all in" level before knowing what the stretch goals would be: in the end was it worth it? Thanks!

      (I am definitely backing this, but I am debating on how deep to go.)
    1. Reynard -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonteCookGames View Post
      This one is a Darcy! Charles was disintegrated by some strange glowing light, it's a darn shame. :-)

      Some info:
      Add-ons: The add-on info is now up on the main page!

      If you'd like to get all the PDFs + the corebook in print, simply back at the EVERY PDF! level and add $50 to your pledge. After the Kickstarter closes, we'll ask you in BackerKit which add-ons the extra funds go toward.

      Page count: While we won't announce an official page count, you can expect it to be comparable to our other books around that price range, which tend to be in the mid-200s of pages.

      Stretch goals: Our Kickstarters tend to be really dynamic, and we love getting to listen and respond to what folks are asking for. We definitely have some ideas up our sleeves, and we will announce upon funding (which could be soon).

      I hope that helps, folks! You rock.
      I have a question I have not seen answered anywhere yte: is this an OGL book, or is there a special license for it. I am super excited about it, but as a writer and designer I am even more excited about the possibility of science fantasy OGL rules from MCG. Obviously no Numenera IP would be Open Content.
    1. jayoungr's Avatar
      jayoungr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      I'd like to back the project for the hardcover & pdf, plus all the PDF stretch goals. I don't want print copies of the stretch goals. There doesn't seem to be a tier for that, or any add-ons.
      Same here. In the absence of that, I just went with the physical books, hoping to get the extra PDFs as add-ons.
    1. Zarithar's Avatar
      Zarithar -
      Thank you. Backed with alacrity!
    1. Sorcerers Apprentice's Avatar
      Sorcerers Apprentice -
      You can always go 'all-in' now, and then back out again before the Kickstarter ends I'd you're not satisfied with the stretch goals.
    Comments Leave Comment