Unboxing The Starfinder Beginner Box
  • Unboxing The Starfinder Beginner Box


    I was a big fan of the Pathfinder Beginner Box, so I've been looking forward to this one. Paizo has posted an official "unboxing" of their upcoming box, which includes books, dice, 80 pawns, character sheets, maps, and player aid cards.






    It's available from April 24th.

    Heroes' Handbook
    Get started with everything you need to know to create and play your new character, from classes and themes to alien ancestry, general rules, plus a short solo adventure.


    Game Master’s Guide
    A wondrous galaxy is at your fingertips, full of new worlds and alien adversaries. Learn how to run encounters in the Steel Talon's Lair adventure, and gain insight into how to create your new world and engage your players in the story.


    Accessories
    Also included in the box are: a set of seven polyhedral dice, 80 pawns depicting diverse heroes and aliens, 24 pawn bases, six pregenerated and six blank character sheets, six player aid cards for quick reference, and a double-sided Flip-Mat.



    Comments 18 Comments
    1. Wraith Form's Avatar
      Wraith Form -
      I can't wait. This is gonna be awesome.
    1. Ghost2020 -
      I'm on the fence about Starfinder, and this should make it or break it. Still, looks awesome.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      I’m getting it for sure.
    1. Ed Laprade's Avatar
      Ed Laprade -
      No price? It must be hecka expensive.
    1. S'mon -
      I'd buy that for a dollar.
    1. HawaiiSteveO's Avatar
      HawaiiSteveO -
      $52.99 on Amazon.ca
    1. MNblockhead's Avatar
      MNblockhead -
      This is what a start set should look like--WotC take note.
    1. Stacie GmrGrl's Avatar
      Stacie GmrGrl -
      Looks great.
    1. Green Onceler's Avatar
      Green Onceler -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed Laprade View Post
      No price? It must be hecka expensive.
      It's listed at $39.99 on Paizo.com. Great value.
    1. Wraith Form's Avatar
      Wraith Form -
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Onceler View Post
      It's listed at $39.99 on Paizo.com. Great value.
      True. The Pathfinder BB was (is) terrific, and worth every penny. If, like me, you don't use pawns and battle maps (prefer "theater of the mind") and want only the rule set, you can get the PDF for $10 (which contains everything in the box, just digitally).
    1. EthanSental's Avatar
      EthanSental -
      Did they offer a beginner box when the game first appeared?

      edit - and whoa that Kickstarter for starfinder minis from ninja division went off the rails! I was looking for various starfinder related items and saw the link for the Kickstarter.
    1. ddaley's Avatar
      ddaley -
      But, how does the adventure compare to Lost Mine for 5e? WotC kinda set the standard there. I already have the core rulebook, pact worlds, armory, etc... but would primarily be interested in the starter adventure.
    1. Zarithar's Avatar
      Zarithar -
      Will be picking this up for sure. Finally got a chance to play a session of Starfinder at ECCC and had a blast. It's really a streamlined version of the PF rules (1e) and I really enjoyed it.
    1. hoshisabi's Avatar
      hoshisabi -
      Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
      This is what a start set should look like--WotC take note.
      I don't know, Lost Mines is a very 5ed style beginner box. The Pathfinder box was good for an evening of two of entertainment, but with excellent presentation for a visual experience.

      Lost Mines, on the other hand, was a mini-campaign. It took many sessions and got you to level 5. It was very much geared towards a very Theater of the Mind view of the system.

      The PF box set is like one chapter out of the adventure that is Lost Mines. But, Lost Mines is only $20 -- and that's been a key selling point when I convince people to pick it up.

      The Pathfinder beginner box is still very affordable, $35. It's a great value. And the pawns and dice are reusable, even though I don't think I'll play the adventure anytime soon.

      So... I'll probably pick up the Starfinder boxed set. These things tend to give you a good deal, and it's always a good way to see how they want to present the game. They put their best foot forward and it's always nice to get the "how this game should work" spelled out clearly.
    1. ddaley's Avatar
      ddaley -
      Quote Originally Posted by hoshisabi View Post
      I don't know, Lost Mines is a very 5ed style beginner box. The Pathfinder box was good for an evening of two of entertainment, but with excellent presentation for a visual experience.

      Lost Mines, on the other hand, was a mini-campaign. It took many sessions and got you to level 5. It was very much geared towards a very Theater of the Mind view of the system.
      ...
      I keep hoping that WotC will publish more adventures along the lines of Lost Mines. Great little adventure. Though, I am pretty excited about Saltmarsh.
    1. MNblockhead's Avatar
      MNblockhead -
      I wrote my comment before I realized how slight the adventure material was in the StarFinder box.

      Ideally, I would like a beginner box to have, in addition to the basic rules, a decent adventure along with cardboard standee minis and battlemaps for all major encounters. That would get too pricey with something like Phandelvers, but in the Stranger Things 5e starter set, you could do this for the Hunt for the Thessalhydra and still keep the price reasonable. The Thessalhydra adventure doesn't give you much more than a session or to of play. It would be nice if they would instead including something like In Volo's Wake. 4-6 mini adventures, each with iconic lower-level foes an a variety of locales that can take advantage for fairly generic battlemats. Then give some random tables and tips for making your own.

      That would give the basic set a lot more replayability.




      Quote Originally Posted by hoshisabi View Post
      I don't know, Lost Mines is a very 5ed style beginner box. The Pathfinder box was good for an evening of two of entertainment, but with excellent presentation for a visual experience.

      Lost Mines, on the other hand, was a mini-campaign. It took many sessions and got you to level 5. It was very much geared towards a very Theater of the Mind view of the system.

      The PF box set is like one chapter out of the adventure that is Lost Mines. But, Lost Mines is only $20 -- and that's been a key selling point when I convince people to pick it up.

      The Pathfinder beginner box is still very affordable, $35. It's a great value. And the pawns and dice are reusable, even though I don't think I'll play the adventure anytime soon.

      So... I'll probably pick up the Starfinder boxed set. These things tend to give you a good deal, and it's always a good way to see how they want to present the game. They put their best foot forward and it's always nice to get the "how this game should work" spelled out clearly.
    1. GreyLord's Avatar
      GreyLord -
      The biggest advantage the Pathfinder Beginner Box has over the 5e D&D Starter Box is that it can be used as a complete game.

      It has character creation rules so that you can create your own characters from scratch. The D&D Starter Box does not provide this option.

      Any 1st level module should thus be playable by anyone who has the Pathfinder Beginner Box and they can go up to level 5 (level 6 with the later printings that included a transition pamphlet) with just the rules in the box.

      It's probably a better bargain for beginning roleplayers than most of the "beginner" or starter boxes out there.

      If Starfinder has a similar premise and you can go up to level 5 it is probably going to be one of the better sets out there.

      Of course, price wise it can't beat the FREE Basic rules available for 5e, but as far as a physical product goes, the PF BB is probably the best one out there currently.

      Anyone know how the SF BB compares to the PF BB?
    1. ddaley's Avatar
      ddaley -
      Quote Originally Posted by GreyLord View Post
      The biggest advantage the Pathfinder Beginner Box has over the 5e D&D Starter Box is that it can be used as a complete game.

      It has character creation rules so that you can create your own characters from scratch. The D&D Starter Box does not provide this option.

      Any 1st level module should thus be playable by anyone who has the Pathfinder Beginner Box and they can go up to level 5 (level 6 with the later printings that included a transition pamphlet) with just the rules in the box.

      It's probably a better bargain for beginning roleplayers than most of the "beginner" or starter boxes out there.

      If Starfinder has a similar premise and you can go up to level 5 it is probably going to be one of the better sets out there.

      Of course, price wise it can't beat the FREE Basic rules available for 5e, but as far as a physical product goes, the PF BB is probably the best one out there currently.

      Anyone know how the SF BB compares to the PF BB?
      Normally I would agree with this... I (and my group) have never cared for pre-gens. However, WotC went above and beyond on the adventure. The adventure alone provided enough value to make the 5e BB more than worth it. Not to mention, I already had the Player's Handbook, so we didn't use the pre-gens. I'll be in the same boat for SF. I already have the Handbook. However, basic starter rules are still a plus to help us get started with the game.
    Comments Leave Comment