It's Not A Cartoon, But What Is It?
  • It's Not A Cartoon, But What Is It?


    Matt Corley is a freelance RPG writer for Kobold Press and Petersen Games. He recently tweeted the image below with the caption "Pre-hype, hype for an amazing project coming to Kickstarter this Summer", although he notes that it is NOT a cartoon.




    When asked "Is this a reboot of the D&D cartoon?" he emphatically replied "Itís not. The amazing folks at Critical Role have DnD cartoons well in hand".

    Corley mentioned in February that his youngest has been diagnosed with cancer, and produced a t-shirt for charity.

    He also posted these images recently, with the caption "Pre-hype".





    Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop.
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. LuisCarlos17f's Avatar
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Miniatures, action figures, board game or mobile videogame, comics, "choose your own adventure" game books?


      The cartoon was made by Marvel Studios. Who owns copyright about the characters? Would be possible a sequel with a new generation of heroes?


      * D&D is my favorite cartoon, it is the cartoon parents show their own children, or nieces, to share old memories.


      * Almost off-topic, but you don't imagine this song you missed. It is totally 80's style.


      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQviv9yW82Y


      Lyrics translations to English:


      We arrived to a fantastic world
      full of strange beings
      the dungeon master
      gave powers to all us.
      You the barbarian,
      you the archer,
      acrobat, mage and the knight
      Dragons and Dungeons
      an infernal world
      hiding in the shadows
      the evil forces.


      (Who owns the copyright of this song or a remade cover?)


      ---


      My theory is a different title, with other characters, but with a similar plot about children from our world visiting a fantasy world. The name of this fantasy subgenre is "isekai" ( = different world).


      There is an audio drama with the original voice actors for the last episode Requiem. Maybe someday we will watch it in cartoon version, or CGI.


      * "The dragon prince" is a good example with a good script a D&D cartoon is possible.
    1. Myzzrym's Avatar
      Myzzrym -
      Interesting, the idea of a good old "choose your own adventure" book but for children is appealing^^
    1. robus's Avatar
      robus -
      Hasnít WotC (or a partner) already publishing some YA choose your own adventures featuring particular classes?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      Hasnít WotC (or a partner) already publishing some YA choose your own adventures featuring particular classes?
      Yep, the Endless Quest series relaunched recently.
    1. Jacob Lewis's Avatar
      Jacob Lewis -
      Geeze! Why does everything to do with D&D need to be treated like the biggest surprise ever?

    1. Ashran Firebrand's Avatar
      Ashran Firebrand -
      Thanks you for the video of that song.... I thought even the french one was terrible (sung by Dorothťe but with a natural one one her perform roll), this one is even worse... if you don't know this version it's here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN0GeH_0vAA )
    1. Anthro78 -
      Honestly the cryptic looks like it came straight from a Gravity Falls end scene. Great show my son got me hooked on, AND they played a D&D analogue in one episode!
    1. neobolts's Avatar
      neobolts -
      The cypher in the image reads "FUN AND GAMES ARE GREAT DISTRACTIONS A?? SMALL THINGS CAN HAVE CHAIN REACTIONS"

      (The question marks are because I couldn't figure out the numbers in that spot due to "staining" on the paper)
    1. Arnwolf666's Avatar
      Arnwolf666 -
      Iíd like to see a world where Tiamat, venger, and Lolth are physically present. But the concept of playing people from the real earth I donít like. But thatís just me. Now as a setting i would like to see this as playable. Especially a return of venger.
    1. Sacrosanct's Avatar
      Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Yep, the Endless Quest series relaunched recently.
      Hopefully future books get run by an editor first before being published. Those four class based Endless Quest books were filled with errors. Lots of gender changes depending on which options you chose lol. First it was "he", then later it was a "she", then back to a "he" again

      Having written choose your own adventure books myself, I understand the additional challenges of putting it all together logistically, but that's no excuse for major continuity changes like that. Also like things that being a fighter, 90% of the choices that involved fighting resulted in death lol. I can see that with the rogue, or wizard, but the fighter class? You get punished for doing what he does best. That struck me as odd. Although it was neat that the one use of what could be described as action surge was actually out of combat (showcasing it's versatility by escaping the collapsing dungeon).
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lewis View Post
      Geeze! Why does everything to do with D&D need to be treated like the biggest surprise ever?

      Because marketing like that extends the conversation, meaning more people are likely to come across it and get hyped.
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by neobolts View Post
      The cypher in the image reads "FUN AND GAMES ARE GREAT DISTRACTIONS A?? SMALL THINGS CAN HAVE CHAIN REACTIONS"

      (The question marks are because I couldn't figure out the numbers in that spot due to "staining" on the paper)
      A product to fund raise for kids with cancer, is my guess.
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Arnwolf666 View Post
      But the concept of playing people from the real earth I donít like. But thatís just me.
      Given how popular of a trope it is, it's really weird that it's never been fully supported in D&D, though.

      (For one thing, in 2E and later, non-weapon profiencies/skills would have to be addressed, since very few of us could make our way in a fantasy setting right out of the gate, while it's possible that we would have useful knowledge in that setting, in the vein of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.)
    1. Sacrosanct's Avatar
      Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang Dustyboots View Post
      Given how popular of a trope it is, it's really weird that it's never been fully supported in D&D, though.

      (For one thing, in 2E and later, non-weapon profiencies/skills would have to be addressed, since very few of us could make our way in a fantasy setting right out of the gate, while it's possible that we would have useful knowledge in that setting, in the vein of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.)
      I'm guessing D&D never officially tackled it because pretty much every time it was done in the past on a per table basis, you ran into the problem of hurting people's feelings because most people don't want to have themselves statted out. How do you really handle that?

      "Sorry Bill, but you barely passed with a C average. You're intelligence can't be higher than an 8."
      "WTF, you know I learn a different way, that's BS! Obviously you have a charisma of 3."

      So yeah, as a company, no surprise they didn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
      I'm guessing D&D never officially tackled it because pretty much every time it was done in the past on a per table basis, you ran into the problem of hurting people's feelings because most people don't want to have themselves statted out. How do you really handle that?

      "Sorry Bill, but you barely passed with a C average. You're intelligence can't be higher than an 8."
      "WTF, you know I learn a different way, that's BS! Obviously you have a charisma of 3."

      So yeah, as a company, no surprise they didn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
      Eh. It was the default method of character creation in Villains & Vigilantes, which was an incredibly popular superhero RPG in the 1970s and 1980s and which has been brought back in the 21st century. People cope.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang Dustyboots View Post
      Eh. It was the default method of character creation in Villains & Vigilantes, which was an incredibly popular superhero RPG in the 1970s and 1980s and which has been brought back in the 21st century. People cope.
      "Incredibly" might be an exaggeration. It's certainly a trope better suited to something like Fate...
    1. MNblockhead's Avatar
      MNblockhead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
      I'm guessing D&D never officially tackled it because pretty much every time it was done in the past on a per table basis, you ran into the problem of hurting people's feelings because most people don't want to have themselves statted out. How do you really handle that?

      "Sorry Bill, but you barely passed with a C average. You're intelligence can't be higher than an 8."
      "WTF, you know I learn a different way, that's BS! Obviously you have a charisma of 3."

      So yeah, as a company, no surprise they didn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
      Perhaps. I think it may also have something to do with Satanic-panic baggage. Once you start playing "you" in the real game you start looking more like the fears of those who think RPGs will lead to murder, black magic, and suicide.
    1. trancejeremy's Avatar
      trancejeremy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      "Incredibly" might be an exaggeration. It's certainly a trope better suited to something like Fate...
      I played V&V back in the day, but I think it's popularity was quickly usurped by Champions and Marvel Super-Heroes, both of which I played more.

      There's something of an urban gaming legend about someone doing that in GURPs (besides statting yourself, you'd have all the stuff you had with you when the game start), and one guy in the group learning about it before hand, so he brought along all sorts of crap, including a crossbow.

      But the first D&D novel, Quag Keep, was based on the same premise. In that, some the best D&D players in the country received mysterious miniatures in the mail and that transported them to Greyhawk. Sorta.
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      "Incredibly" might be an exaggeration. It's certainly a trope better suited to something like Fate...
      It was the number two superhero game until TSR waded in. Granted, that almost certainly put it at the bottom of the top 10 of old school games, but it was successful enough for the creators and publisher to battle over the legal rights decades later.
    1. Whizbang Dustyboots's Avatar
      Whizbang Dustyboots -
      Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
      Perhaps. I think it may also have something to do with Satanic-panic baggage. Once you start playing "you" in the real game you start looking more like the fears of those who think RPGs will lead to murder, black magic, and suicide.
      I suspect you're right, especially since it would have been easy for them to have published a Quag Keep sourcebook and include how to include "yourself" in the game. I have to imagine that was discussed at TSR at least once.
    Comments Leave Comment