3D Printing D&D's Demon Lords
  • 3D Printing D&D's Demon Lords

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is full of demons and demon lords, and Miguel Zavala has 3D printed them all! These include Baphomet, Demogorgon, Grazzt, Juiblex, Orcus, and many more.

In the past he has done the same with Monster Manual creatures, those from various adventures, the Acquisitions Inc. cast, and so on. Scroll to the bottom of his imgur for all those links!

Comments 17 Comments
    1. Wrathamon -
      I prefer the ones I have already but I see those are super expensive now so cool to see cheaper options. How much to print one?
      robus -
      Very cool!
      Jharet -
      These are really cool. Does this mean there are templates or something?
      Immortal Sun -
      Wouldn't selling or distributing these be copyright infringement?
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Sun View Post
      Wouldn't selling or distributing these be copyright infringement?
      Nope:https://www.shapeways.com/engage/superfanart
      Immortal Sun -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Woah sick. Had no idea.
    1. Yaarel -
      Heh, I dont really care about the demon monsters. But I do care about 3d printing and art. These minis are truly skillful and impressive.

I would love for this tech to allow players to easily (and inexpensively) create exactly what their characters look like in 3d.
      dwayne -
      they look a bit rough around the parts and can see the ridges, but maybe a bit of sanding or finishing they could be good, with a better paint job than what was done here.
      tmanbeaubien -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      I prefer the ones I have already but I see those are super expensive now so cool to see cheaper options. How much to print one?
      Once you own the 3D printer, a large sized figure like these is only $1 - $2.

I don't have my printer yet, but I have been doing research in preparation.....
      tmanbeaubien -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      Here's a good overview:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMM-_f1dACg

And a specific video about costs:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04wjiUT5Qg
      blackscribe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yaarel View Post
      I would love for this tech to allow players to easily (and inexpensively) create exactly what their characters look like in 3d.
      That technology does exist. Two good starting points for this are Hero Forge and DesktopHero.
      pogre -
      3D printing is getting there for sure. I love it for terrain.
      Nutation -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Scrabble? 3-D print the letter "J"? One of these brands is not like the others.
      aka_pg -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nutation View Post
      Scrabble? 3-D print the letter "J"? One of these brands is not like the others.
      Ha! While I appreciate that there might not be too many applications for Scrabble related 3-D printing, there is a HUGE subculture of Scrabble enthusiasts. I wholeheartedly recommend Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis. A great read for any gamer!
      EthanSental -
      I’ve bought my first premium plastic Hero Forge and was impressed at the quality of the sculpt when it arrived. I’m looking forward to painting it in the near future.
      BBShockwave -
      Ugh, these look pretty terrible...
      We already have a Gargantuan Orcus mini, and the Loot Crate Demogorgon is also a great Gargantuan proxy. As for the others, I would wait for Icons of the Realms to provide them eventually, though Yeenoghu and Graazt all have older miniatures.
      jkasonII -
      Quote Originally Posted by BBShockwave View Post
      Ugh, these look pretty terrible...
      We already have a Gargantuan Orcus mini, and the Loot Crate Demogorgon is also a great Gargantuan proxy. As for the others, I would wait for Icons of the Realms to provide them eventually, though Yeenoghu and Graazt all have older miniatures.

They were made on a conventional 3D printer. A resin printer gives a smoother finish overall. A regular printer will give a smoother finish with shorter layer heights. Of course, this will significantly increase print time.

I have printed a few of Miguel's (mz4250) minis, and they are comparable with Reaper Bones, and significantly better than Wizkids sad excuses for minis.
    Comments Leave Comment