Boundless: An Excerpt From The Upcoming Drizzt Novel
  • Boundless: An Excerpt From The Upcoming Drizzt Novel

Over at iO9 you can read an excerpt from Boundless, the upcoming Drizzt novel from RA Salvatore.

Split between time and two worlds, Zaknafein had always been conflicted. That inner turmoil was magnified by his inferior position as a male dark elf in the matriarchal drow society. Only his status as one of the greatest warriors—as well as his friendship with the mercenary Jarlaxle—kept him sane. When he finally perished, he was content knowing he left behind a legacy as substantial as his son Drizzt.

Except...someone isn’t ready for Zaknafein to be dead. And now he’s back, hundreds of years later, in a world he doesn’t recognize. His son’s companions are not the prideful—and bigoted—males the drow warrior was accustomed to in his previous life. Drizzt’s circle includes dwarves, elves, and, perhaps worst of all, a human wife.

Struggling to navigate this transformed new world, Zaknafein realizes that some things have not changed: the threat of demons and the machinations of a drow matron no longer content with her family’s position in the ranks of Houses. Though he has been displaced in time, Zaknafein is still a warrior. And no matter what prejudices he must overcome, he knows he will do his duty and fight by Drizzt’s side to stem the tide of darkness that threatens the Realms.

Check out the excerpt over at iO9.
    Comments 18 Comments
      aco175 -
      I originally thought this was going to be a throwback novel,but glad to see it is a 5e novel with the Companipns of the Hall. I will need to read the last series where Gromph blackened out the world.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
      I originally thought this was going to be a throwback novel,but glad to see it is a 5e novel with the Companipns of the Hall. I will need to read the last series where Gromph blackened out the world.
      What makes a novel 5E?
      jgsugden -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      What makes a novel 5E?
      I think he means that rather than be a story set back before Drizz't was born, this is a story taking place in the current timeline of the Forgotten Ralms, the one described in 5E books.
    1. Doctor Futurity -
      I'm still trying to finish A Thousand Orcs, got a long ways to go.
      gyor -
      I think it's mostly going to be current with fun flash backs chapters like Timeless was, the best way to do prequels,, as flash backs in a more current plot.

I'm buying this novel partly in the hopes it will inspire a resurgence of new Forgotten Realms novels
      aco175 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jgsugden View Post
      I think he means that rather than be a story set back before Drizz't was born, this is a story taking place in the current timeline of the Forgotten Realms, the one described in 5E books.
      This. There was a series of books that transitioned from 4e to 5e and told about how the companions were reincarnated in new bodies. This looks like it continues the same timeline rather than be a book set before when Drizzt was born.
      TarionzCousin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Futurity View Post
      I'm still trying to finish A Thousand Orcs, got a long ways to go.
      How long? More than nine hundred orcs?
      mankyle -
      How long? More than nine hundred orcs?
      Didn't know that an orc was a time measurement unit
      Iry -
      Orc is a unit of time measurement, just like colors are a unit of speed.
      Red ones go faster, after all.
      mankyle -
      Red makes us go fasta!!! Waaaaaaghhhh!!!
      aco175 -
      Why would he carve "Arrrrrrrrgh" Sir Lancelot.
      "Perhaps it was Dictation."
      trancejeremy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      What makes a novel 5E?
      I think in some novels, you can see the influence of the rules system. For instance, some of the Pathfinder novels have an alchemist as the main character, which has some pretty unique class abilities.

And now that I think about it, the original Drizzt was able to fight with two scimitars because that was a feature of the Drow in 1e; this later influenced the ranger class in 2e
      TheSwartz -
      The last novel was about worst thing I've ever read. I don't think I'll waste any more time reading this series (and I'd read the entirety up to this point). Simply so many other things to read that's actually worth my time.
      gyor -
      This. There was a series of books that transitioned from 4e to 5e and told about how the companions were reincarnated in new bodies. This looks like it continues the same timeline rather than be a book set before when Drizzt was born.
      It's a mix like Timeless was, some chapters are current and others explore Drizzt's Dad's history.
      Emirikol Prime -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheSwartz View Post
      The last novel was about worst thing I've ever read. I don't think I'll waste any more time reading this series (and I'd read the entirety up to this point). Simply so many other things to read that's actually worth my time.
      Thanks for the update.
      Zardnaar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Emirikol Prime View Post
      Thanks for the update.
      Last one I read was about Gauntlegrym, Pwent was a vampire and some insane women was made matriarch iof a new house Do'Urden. Wouldn't call it good the last great Drizzt book was the Silent Blade?
      Valetudo -
      The Drizzles books have been subpar for guite awhile now. R.A. Needs to learn how to move on, its the killer of alot of writers quality.
      chibi graz'zt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Valetudo View Post
      The Drizzles books have been subpar for guite awhile now. R.A. Needs to learn how to move on, its the killer of alot of writers quality.
      Ive heard he's got this publishing contract that he will never let go of; its pretty much the niche he's carved for himself, he will probably be writing Drizzt novels until he dies, and it'll be the only thing he'll be remembered for as a writer; at least he's churning novels out... still waiting for another writer to finish The Winds of Winter ;-)

I think its smart that Wizards is focusing on its game and not novels; one reason that FR as a setting is so glutted is its novels crowding the world with meta-plot; I prefer a setting where the DM has full creative control.
    Comments Leave Comment