Of Ships & The Sea DM Screen & Official Vinyl Sword Coast Map
  • Of Ships & The Sea DM Screen & Official Vinyl Sword Coast Map

ICv2 has some images of Gale Force 9's official Of Ships and the Sea DM's Screen for Dungeons & Dragons, as well as the official 27'x33' vinyl Dungeons & Dragons Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide Faerun Map. Click on the images for a gallery of close-ups.

The DM Screen is $15, while the map is $35.

Comments 21 Comments
      Birmy -
      Baseless speculation: Since the screen is more generically titled as "Of Ships and the Sea," rather than taking on the name of the book to which it's attached (as has been the case for the other GF9 screens), maybe this indicates it's meant to be used for multiple upcoming themed supplements. The seeming Nine Hells theme of "The Descent" probably nixes that idea, though.

Or, alternately, they're seeing if not identifying a product with a specific storyline helps long-term sales.
      jhallum -
      Oh look, another map of the Sword Coast and Dales. How about a second one of the Eastern Realms too?
      robus -
      That vinyl map looks quite familiar...

From this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...rd-Coast-print!
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Birmy View Post
      Baseless speculation: Since the screen is more generically titled as "Of Ships and the Sea," rather than taking on the name of the book to which it's attached (as has been the case for the other GF9 screens), maybe this indicates it's meant to be used for multiple upcoming themed supplements. The seeming Nine Hells theme of "The Descent" probably nixes that idea, though.
      My guess is that it's a screen that emphasizes the new ship rules and nautical encounter tables. Useful for any sea based campaign as well as the upcoming Saltmarsh publication.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      That vinyl map looks quite familiar...

From this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...rd-Coast-print!
      OMG! They stole your map!
    1. Wrathamon -
      or stole his idea
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      or stole his idea
      Glad they did - it turned out really nicely.
      Jason Denton -
      The wasted something like 20% of the area of the map on empty ocean in order to show one small island in the far north east. Three better options:

1) Reduce the size of the map by 20%, pocket the profits.
      2) Reduce the size of the map by 20%, cut the price.
      3) Keep the same size, extend the map to show 20% more of eastern Fearun; including the location for the first 6 seasons of AL and all the CCC content.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Birmy View Post

Or, alternately, they're seeing if not identifying a product with a specific storyline helps long-term sales.
      In the Nine Hells Lore You Should Know, Chris Perkins discusses sailing through Hell on the River Styx. Perkins has teased Lantan and other Sword Coast things in upcoming products, too, so maybe the AP storyline will be Planar *and* seafaring.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jason Denton View Post
      The wasted something like 20% of the area of the map on empty ocean in order to show one small island in the far north east. Three better options:

1) Reduce the size of the map by 20%, pocket the profits.
      2) Reduce the size of the map by 20%, cut the price.
      3) Keep the same size, extend the map to show 20% more of eastern Fearun; including the location for the first 6 seasons of AL and all the CCC content.
      That's @robus printout: the Gale Force 9 map doesn't have all the water.
      Roger -
      the official 27'x33' vinyl Dungeons & Dragons Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide Faerun Map.

That's bigger than my house.
      Augreth -
      Canít help it, but 27Ēx33Ē is too small for 35 bucks.
      Augreth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      the official 27'x33' vinyl Dungeons & Dragons Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide Faerun Map.

Didnít see the mistake
      Paul Farquhar -
      It's a 1:1 scale map.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

Hah! Good catch!
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Augreth View Post
      Canít help it, but 27Ēx33Ē is too small for 35 bucks.
      Thatís one of the reasons I posted about my map. For a similar size (and quality, I imagine) it cost ~$20 delivered.
      mankyle -
      I Printed it in a waterproof material. 4 feet side more or less for 23 euros. Much better price.

I have done the same with the Chult and Waterdeep Maps...
      PezlerPolychromatic -
      I remember the good old days when vinyl maps were included in the boxed sets. Still have the old Greyhawk map, which I carefully take out from time to time.
    1. Doctor Futurity -
      Quote Originally Posted by PezlerPolychromatic View Post
      I remember the good old days when vinyl maps were included in the boxed sets. Still have the old Greyhawk map, which I carefully take out from time to time.
      I was there for the good old days and I don't recall any vinyl maps in those boxes. Lots of cool maps on glossy paper, yes, but none that were vinyl. Unless I am completely misunderstanding what this map's made of....
    1. Doctor Futurity -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      Thatís one of the reasons I posted about my map. For a similar size (and quality, I imagine) it cost ~$20 delivered.
      Yes but there is an artist who designed that map, a company which is manufacturing and distributing it, and those are all additional costs you didn't front for your own map. I could take any old PDF and make a POD book out of it and save money, but I'm saving money at the expense of the guys who made the book. In your case I think you were gifted the map which is awesome, but just pointing out that there are extra costs you are not considering for a proper purchase. And that's a seriously nice map, I'd like to know the artist gets to remain employed and paid.
    Comments Leave Comment