New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer
  • New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer

WotC just released the revised Artificer UA. Now featuring a new, pet-less archetype: The Archivist!

In February, we presented a revised version of a new character class: the artificer, a master of magical invention. Today we return to that class, now with even more content! Here’s what’s been added:
    • New subclasses—the Archivist and the Battle Smith
    • A revised spell list, including spells from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
    • New infusions—Enhanced Wand, Repeating Shot, and Repulsion Shield
    • A revision to multiclassing—round up when determining spell slots

Comments 116 Comments
      Kurotowa -
      Quote Originally Posted by bedir than View Post
      That wouldn't be how order of operations works.

5 times 5 plus 4 plus 2 is 31
      Also there's no stated way to raise it's AC 15. It's not one of the traits that improves with Might of the Master, and it isn't called out as eligible for any sort of armor or defensive enchantment. But OTOH you can heal it with a Cantrip and revive it with a 1st level spell slot and 1 minute. So it's not a huge loss if it gets beat up a lot of the time.
      bedir than -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      Tell me, a level 5 character, how many times do you apply your constitution bonus?
      Well, that would be "1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per artificer level after 1st"

Which is distinctly not "equal to five times your level in this class + your Intelligence modifier + the iron defender’s
      Constitution modifier"
      Kurotowa -
      Tell me, a level 5 character, how many times do you apply your constitution bonus?
      This isn't a character. Also by your method it'd get it's Con Bonus x 5 as a fixed amount instead of Con Bonus x 1 as a fixed amount, which isn't really any more like a character. You're not changing the scaling you're just front loading a couple dozen more HP.

But that aside, I think precedent is on bedir's side. It's "(text text text) + (text text text) + (text text text)" where each text sequence is calculated separately.
      Ancalagon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurotowa View Post
      This isn't a character. Also by your method it'd get it's Con Bonus x 5 as a fixed amount instead of Con Bonus x 1 as a fixed amount, which isn't really any more like a character. You're not changing the scaling you're just front loading a couple dozen more HP.

But that aside, I think precedent is on bedir's side. It's "(text text text) + (text text text) + (text text text)" where each text sequence is calculated separately.
      This question was asked here about the homunculus, and there was agreement that the int bonus applies per level. It needs to be clarified.
      Ancalagon -
      Is an ogre a character? How many times is its con bonus applied? Once per "level"...
      Kurotowa -
      This question was asked here about the homunculus, and there was agreement that the int bonus applies per level. It needs to be clarified.
      I definitely agree that clarification and better wording are desired. But the level argument is a red herring. Right now it's a choice between "(PC level x 5) + (PC Int Mod) + (Iron Defender Con Mod)" vs "(PC level x 5) + (PC Int Mod x 5) + (Iron Defender Con Mod x 5)". In neither case is either the Int Mod or Con Mod scaling with the PC's level.
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Since the beginning D&D always has had got elements of arcano-tech or magic technology, but now the influence is stronger because we are use to the steampunk genre.

A lot of players love monster pets, for background for their characters and storytelling goals more than for munchkin's gameplay. I wonder about the idea of monster companion classes, like a second PC who also earns its own XPs pool to leveling up.

Sometimes I wondered about the return of the archivist (from "Tome of Horror") and warmage (complete arcane) and now I find they may be artificer subclasses. How would be an artificer subclass with incarnum soulmelds in magic (runic?) items? Maybe a mixture of the prestige class irosoul forgemaster and the runescribe class from 4th Ed.

* If Mystara come backs.... will we see an new videogame by Capcom?
      Kurotowa -
      Quote Originally Posted by LuisCarlos17f View Post
      A lot of players love monster pets, for background for their characters and storytelling goals more than for munchkin's gameplay. I wonder about the idea of monster companion classes, like a second PC who also earns its own XPs pool to leveling up.
      Well that's what the Sidekick UA rules from last December were for, weren't they? I mean, one of the examples given was a mastiff, but you could just as easily apply them to a pseudodragon or kobold or flumph. They're sort of an all purpose advancement system that's not as small as simple HD advancement and not as big as PC class levels.
      Paul Farquhar -
      Am I the only one who thinks that an intangible, flying, invulnerable spellcasting psychically attacking familiar is potentially abusable?

It aught to have some kind of vulnerability, such as Force Damage and Dispel Magic.
      UngeheuerLich -
      Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
      Yeah, maybe TWF needs to be fixed, too.
      In general I think the bonus action economy is ok.
      It is just some classes that should do well do not because it is triggering from taking the attack action and because it competes in an unfavourable way with a different feature.

Good: cunning action/twf.

Bad:
      ranger in general with hunter's mark
      - beastmaster
      - hunter lvl 11 feature
      - horizon walker

I also don't like that there is no penalty for using two weapons as a wizard etc.

So my solution would be something along the line of:
      - twf needs an ability to be used.

For example:
      Cunning action gives twf as it is now.
      Twf fighting style allows twf as a free attack with your offhand weapon doing no stat bonus to damage.
      You need to check if you allow both features at once. But since both weapons need to be light then it seems ok.

TWF feat changes to:
      You may use a bonus action to attack with an off hand dagger.
      You gain +1 AC
      You can draw 2 weapons as part of the attack action.

Note that it overwrites the rogue feature with an attack that does stat bonus to damage.
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by iltharanos View Post
      ICYMI, enjoy! It's got two new subclasses, new spells, and some tweaks to multiclassing. Plus, you know, typos.

Now to the meat of the matter. The Battle Smith. Everyone's better at having pets than the poor Beast Master Ranger. Discuss!
      Since the Beast Master is a worse beast master than everyone else, hardly a difficult feat to achieve.
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Al2O3 View Post
      Suddenly crossbows are viable with the extra attack feature and my main reason for not using archers is handled.
      With the Crossbow Expert feat entrenched in the Player's Handbook, the hand crossbow is already far superior to other bows.
      Kurotowa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks that an intangible, flying, invulnerable spellcasting psychically attacking familiar is potentially abusable?
      How so? As a familiar it's limited in several ways. As an offensive tool it's just a re-fluffed offensive Cantrip with a built-in Smite feature. Yes, there's potential for clever and creative players to do new things, but isn't that what we want out of a new class? Nothing about it screams broken to me.
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Not bad this time around. And nice to see only two of the sub-classes being pet sub-classes, with those two having companion creatures (pets) and the other two sub-classes having "mobile artifices" (not pets), as Jeremy Crawford calls them on Twitter.

I chuckled at this particular line from him and wondered whose poor, little feelings it hurt:

"If your artificer would like to treat a weapon or an A.I. as a pet, I think that's sweet. I'm all for creating in-character connections to other creatures and things."
      Paul Farquhar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurotowa View Post
      How so? As a familiar it's limited in several ways. As an offensive tool it's just a re-fluffed offensive Cantrip with a built-in Smite feature. Yes, there's potential for clever and creative players to do new things, but isn't that what we want out of a new class? Nothing about it screams broken to me.
      Send the AM into the dungeon whilst the party wait in a safe location outside. It can kill anything that isn't immune to psionics at no risk to the party (slowly and boringly). Whist it can't pass through objects, it has no size, so there is nothing to prevent it passing through keyholes or under doors. It has a range of 300 feet, which is large enough for most dungeons.
      Leatherhead -
      Quote Originally Posted by UngeheuerLich View Post
      That would still leave the beastmaster unable to use TWF.
      TWF itself is known to be a problem. In fact, TWF is such a huge problem that it caused the Devs to doubt the entire Bonus Action mechanic itself.
      UngeheuerLich -
      Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
      TWF itself is known to be a problem. In fact, TWF is such a huge problem that it caused the Devs to doubt the entire Bonus Action mechanic itself.
      See my reply above.
      Blue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      seems all the other pets scale but the turret still doesnt? or did I miss something
      They scale slightly (HPs with level and INT mod for other things), with the only real level-based bonus is being able to summon a second turret once a day at 14th. (And activate them both with the same bonus action).

So yeah, I'm with you - they barely scale.
      Fenris-77 -
      I agree, I think the issue here is TWF, not giving commands to beast companions.
      5ekyu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
      As I recall, it was one dev and whenever he started to dive into options in depth it got ugly quick.

In my experience, the morning after musings rarely turn out to be worth much without putting in the work to again see "why we did this and didnt do that".

But that's me.
    Comments Leave Comment