Updates on Age of Sigmar RPG Include New Name

Cubicle 7 have revealed a few pieces of information regarding their upcoming Warhammer: Age of Sigmar RPG. It has an official name: 'Soulbound', but also a release delay until Spring 2020.

AoS_Corebook_Cover-smaller-1200x750.jpg

The official title, Soulbound, was revealed at Warhammer Fest. Details were also announced of the Soulbound Starter Set, which has some fantastic cover art by Johan Grenier (below). The starter set contains an adventure book for players and GMs, and a city guide which describes a new city in the realm of Aqshy. Also, you'll find regenerated characters, handouts, reference sheets, and so on.

starter1.jpg

Starter Set: City Being Cleansed of the taint of Tzeentch

starter2.jpg

Starter Set: Hordes of Tzeentchian horrors and Lord of Change

They also revealed new art for for some of their Archetypes, which is a broad description of who you are in the game.

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Aether-Khemist-copy.jpg

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Skyrigger-copy.jpg

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Excelsior-Warpriest-copy.jpg

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Battlesmith-copy.jpg

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Auric-Runesmiter-copy.jpg

AoS_Marketing_Archetypes_Knight-Questor.jpg

The new release date is Spring 2020: "...to ensure we make the best game possible we’ve moved the game’s planned release from the later part of this year to Spring next year."

imagineGod

Legend
Not for me, sadly. This variant has gone all Steampunk/Arcanepunk almost as if Tzeentch already won and the old world changed into a pantomime play.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Nice to see that even if Cubicle 7 was forced to take this on as a result of wanting to do WFRP, at least they're trying. That said this is not for me. You can keep your Sigmarmarines, thank you very much.

Dire Bare

Legend
Not for me, sadly. This variant has gone all Steampunk/Arcanepunk almost as if Tzeentch already won and the old world changed into a pantomime play.

The "Age of Sigmar" setting isn't really steampunk or arcanepunk itself. The "Kharadron Overlords" are one of several dwarven factions, and definitely have a steam/arcanepunk vibe to them. The pictures of armored dwarves hanging from metal balloons are from this faction. If you are interested in the setting itself, but not the steampunk aspect, you can safely ignore the Kharadron Overlords. There are some more "traditional" dwarven factions in the setting, although they might not be described in the core book.

"Age of Sigmar" is definitely high magic involving a lot of travel between the various fantasy/elemental "realms" (like planes in D&D), while retaining the grimdark of Warhammer. But, less gritty, more shiny. Shiny grimdark. The main hero faction, the Stormcast Eternals, are essentially warrior angels, you've also got some interesting elven (or aelven) factions that break the Tolkien tropes, and the Karadrons mentioned above break Tolkien tropes for dwarves. The setting still offers more traditional elves, dwarves, and halflings if you want. Bad guys include the forces of Death (undead) and Chaos, which are pretty unchanged from the Warhammer Chaos you know and love.

Askaval30

Explorer
Nah... not my cup of tea. The AoS setting is way too generic and "primary colors" for me.

It probably suffers from being too young to be fully fleshed out but when I think of interconnected planar campaigns I think of Planescape... where you had a mature, philosophical approach to the nature existence... This setting just strikes me as an excuse to fight things in a variety of flashy settings barely united to each other in lore or concept.

Until it matures I'll stick with the glorious gritty filth of 4th ed WHFRP thank you very much!

Azgulor

Adventurer
Sadly, a hard pass. I see little of the Warhammer that I fondly recall and a lot of "what if Iron Kingdoms was turned up to 11"...

Banesfinger

Explorer
Previous previews mentioned AoS would have a different "dice pool" mechanic, which interests me. I wonder how easy it would be to pull that out and insert it into the 'classic' WHFRP...?

Consona

Explorer
Can't wait. Hope the mechanics are good. This is exactly the right kind of WH for me. The aesthetics and feeling are so over-the-top high-uber-epic-fantasy awesome yet Warhammery I can't handle it.
1.gif

I hope they won't try to appease those who want this to be more conservative. This is Warhammer's high fantasy aspect turned up to eleven.

I mean... look at this pure badassery
25.gif
1.gif

stormcast-eternals-go-to-war.jpg

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases