Dungeons & Dragons News
- Building Adventures -- Mike explores the fine art of encounter design in this week’s Legends & Lore. "Well, we've heard a number of calls from DMs for a preview of the guidelines for designing and balancing encounters, so let's take a look at those rules this week. You can use these guidelines with the monsters in appendix B of Lost Mine of Phandelver to continue your campaign or create new adventures." [20 comments]
- EN World member Echohawk has started a series of posts he's calling the ENCyclopedia. And it's quite a thing of beauty - the first installment takes an in-depth look at the Aarocokra. Well worth checking out. [30 comments]
- Do you need monsters for your 5E game? Then you need to click right here.
- Check out this fan-made Basic Rules cover by Stefan Grambart.
- There has been some controversy about the use of some of the consultants listed in the D&D Basic Game and the D&D Starter Set - namely John Tarnowski (alternatively listed in the Basic Rules as TheRPGPundit) and Zak S. I thought it might be worth explaining what it was a consultant does, so I asked one, who told me that "Consultants were asked to read, play, analyze and rip apart a substantial early edition of the rules. Lots of interaction with WotC and analysis, but consultants had no decision-making ability whatsoever other than providing rules feedback." This took place a couple of years ago, in May-June 2012. WotC's Mike Mearls also weighs in with the following statement about consultants, and also about race/gender issues which have been discussed recently:
Anyway: it's very late and I am a feeling a bit sick, so I will keep this brief.
1. If anyone has any direct evidence of racism or sexism or any other form of discrimination on the part of people attached to D&D, please drop a line to me. Email is email@example.com
2. Consultants on the project were hired to tear the game apart and pull no punches, so being brutal was basically a job requirement.
3. How we present race and gender in the game had nothing to do with anyone beyond me, Jeremy Crawford, and our art director, Kate Irwin. I have read up on issues of race, gender, and inclusivity in gaming and have done everything I can to address them. Will it be perfect? No. But I pay attention to this stuff because it's important. The consultants had no role in that department.
The other consultants listed are Jeff Grubb, Kenneth Hite, Kevin Kulp, Robin Laws, S. John Ross, and Vincent Venturella.
One Week Left - Wanna Be an ENnies Judge?
Nominations are now open for 2015 ENnies judges! You can nominate yourself by clicking here
. Good luck! There's only a week left, so don't miss out.
In other important news, the 2014 ENnies Nominees will be announced on July 14, 2014
, so keep your eyes open!
PaizoCon has ended, and some announcements were made at the convention. Probably the biggest was the announcement of Pathfinder Unchained
. Pathfinder lead designer Jason Bulmahn describes it as "The rules team tinkers with the game! New barbarian, monk, rogue and summoner!"
and Wolfgang Baur says its "Rules team goes wild, backward compatibility be damned! New rogue, monk with full BAB, summoner...."
When asked if it was Pathfinder's Unearthed Arcana
, Bulmahn replied "You could say that"
. It's slated for a Spring 2015 release. [31 comments]
Other news from the convention (courtesy of Wolfgang Baur):
- Other 2014 releases: Iron Gods AP, and then Giant Slayer AP! Straight up fantasy.
- Dave Harrison and Rob Silk recognized as Volunteer of the Year for their work in Europe
- Mini mates figures including iconics and goblins. Parts interchangeable with other Mini Mates
- Wrath of the Righteous is the next path for the [Pathfinder Adventure Card Game]! Time to go mythic in cards. Also, the [future] Skull & Shackles has ship cards and is a harder, different sort of challenger. More gunslingers. Theme: things that are very unstable and blow up! Lots of ACG hints, but also a MONSTER CODEX this fall. Variants galore for 20 monsters. Fire giants and others get archetypes and spells ...
Below is the Iron Gods
debut art. Iron Gods
is an upcoming adventure path scheduled for August, and features technology. "The fragmented remnants of a ship from beyond the stars fell from the sky, scattering strange technological ruins and deadly perils across the land. Today, these sites are feared by the barbaric tribes and coveted by the sinister spellcasters of the Technic League."