MerricB
  • MerricB

There's been an announcement by Chris Cocks, the President of Wizards of the Coast, of a shift in their support for their product through digital means. The new studio includes the Magic Online team, and it mentions a D&D augmented-reality game (something like Pokemon Go?)

You most probably know by now that WotC is closing its D&D, M:tG and other community forums on October 29th. Already, hundreds of WotC forum members have begun migrating over here to EN World, and as part of that process they are transferring content that would otherwise be lost. The content is being placed in the Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat forum, the Character Builds & Optimizations forum, and the D&D Adventurer's League forum. The Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat Forum is a general storage area for any and all transferred content, regardless of its nature, until we get chance to sort through and move it all to where it needs to be. EN World and WotC member MerricB has spent over 12 hours coding a tool which makes it incredibly easy and quick to transfer your content from WotC's forums to here. It preserves formatting, and copies entire threads, making transferring your content take a matter of seconds rather than hours.

The Tome Show has a fascinating interview with WotC's Mike Mearls from Gen Con. He covered release schedules, licenses, conventions, errata, and more. He tells us that there has been an enormous influx of new players, and that the design philosophy is to "make fewer but bigger decisions." He also mentions that third party licence is still on the cards, but it's not what we expect (though I not sure what we allegedly expect!)

An explanatory note: Ultimate Campaign is a relatively recent release from Paizo Publishing for their Pathfinder Game, a 256-page hardcover book. It's not the first supplement to the system they've done, but I personally think it's the most significant, as it really extends the system into areas that most Fantasy RPGs often don't cover, or don't cover well. This makes it particularly interesting, as it has the potential to dramatically change the shape and tone of your games. I could have done a straight review of it, but I feel that short-changes the book. It's worth examining what it does in a bit more detail. So, assuming Life doesn't interfere, this is the first of five essays on various aspects of the book. A lot of it will be a standard review and description of what's in the book, but occasionally - I hope - it might go a bit deeper.

Although the release date for Murder in Baldur's Gate hasn't yet come for us, I was able to browse through the adventure as part of my preparation for the upcoming D&D Encounters season. My initial reaction to the Launch Weekend adventure was "challenging". That assessment stands for the full adventure. After a run of adventures during the 4E era that were written for - basically - novice DMs, Murder in Baldur's Gate is definitely an adventure that requires more than just reading boxed text and running combats.

I write a lot about D&D, but that game is actually a fairly late love in my life; I didn't get bitten by the bug until 1982. Well, obviously - given that I was born in 1972 - that's still pretty early on. However, there's one thing that I've been following for even longer. That thing is Doctor Who. As far as I can gather, I've been addicted to the show since about 1978, and I would not be surprised if I started even earlier. It's been part of my life for a very long time.

The Charles S Roberts awards were presented on the weekend (at WBC). Here are the final nominees and winners.

Lords of Waterdeep is a board game released by Wizards of the Coast, designed by Rodney Thompson and Peter Lee. After three co-operative dungeon games and one four-player war game, the board game team within Wizards turned to something entirely different: a Eurogame.

I was sent a review copy four weeks ago, and I've managed to take it through its paces sixteen times, playing games with all the numbers the game is designed for: two to five players. What do I think of the game? Itís

The fine people at Wizards of the Coast have sent me a review copy of their new Dungeon Command miniatures game - a copy of both the Sting of Lolth and the Heart of Cormyr sets, enough for two players to play the game. By adding more sets, a three or four player game can be played, but the game is mainly designed for two players. I'm sure we'll see three- and four-player games shortly when it goes into full release in a couple of weeks.

After receiving the game on a Tuesday (the one

Dungeon Command is a miniatures skirmish game by Wizards of the Coast for two to four players. It takes about 30-45 minutes to play the two-player game, which this review will address.

A chief concept in Dungeon Command is that each player maintains their own warband; it is a customisable game. Players construct their warbands from creatures, order cards, map tiles and commander cards. The game is sold in set faction packs. At the time of writing, only the first two: Sting of Lolth