Dungeons & Dragons
  • Dungeons & Dragons

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

Sales of the hobby game market are on the rise, with tabletop role-playing games increasing along with other tabletop games. With a new Wizards of the Coast CEO in place who values Dungeons & Dragons as much as Magic: The Gathering and a movie on the horizon, we're starting to see signs that D&D is doing very well indeed.

This week in our updates list from EN Publishing we have a new shapeshifting Pathfinder playable race over in TRAILseeker, a random fantasy ship creator for 5E fans over on EN5ider, the latest episode of WOIN's Turn Order: Warped livestreamed game (and it's a shocker!), and news of WOIN errata and a monster building web app!

Now that the most recent poll has been out for a few days and had time to acquire votes, here are the total results of the satisfaction survey. I suspect the data from this survey may be of some value in future conversations down the road, so you may want to remember it so you can search for it later. Of course there is the caveat that this poll is from EN World posters only. And there are always outliers (like someone voting very dissatisfied on every class because they hate 5e). So acknowledge those factors that may impact the results.

As you read this, I am among the teeming masses thronging the halls, game rooms, hotel lobbies, and restaurants of Gen Con 50. I struggled a bit to come up with a good theme for this week, as I'd already covered the ENnie Awards nominees to some significant degree. Then I remembered my first Gen Con ever, and that led me down the merry path you see below. It doesn't hurt that I am deeply involved in superhero gaming and game development right now, as those who've been reading this regularly will attest.

Feder & Schwert are currently running a Kickstarter for Der erste Spielleiter: Eine Comic-Biografie uber Gary Gygax or – given it’s English title – Rise of the Dungeon Master:Gary Gygax and the Creation of F&D. The graphic novel, written by David Kushner and illustrated by Koren Shadmi was released earlier this year and tells the story of Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons.

The Draw of Glenfallow is a 5th edition adventure module by W.S. Quinton that’s currently running on Kickstarter. The adventure is the first part of a new series called the Tarot Adventrues, with each adventure themed after the cards in a Tarot deck. The Draw of Glenfallow sets the stage for the series by introducing a key character (Pieron) and is designed for characters levels 1 to 3.

D&D Beyond, the official online toolkit for 5th Edition D&D, is now live - just in time for Gen Con! With a character builder, online rules compendium, digital character sheet, and more, the software has been in beta testing for a while. D&D's relationship with electronic tools has never been an easy one -- Master Tools, Gleemax, DungeonScape all being failed initiatives - but D&D Beyond looks like it might be the one which actually breaks that curse.

Lost Tales of Myth Drannor is an official D&D Adventurers League book containing six adventures for characters of levels 1-20. It is billed as a promo for Gen Con's 50th anniversary, although it will eventually appear on the DMs Guild -- from DDAL's Greg Marks: "It is a book that is a promo for GC50 and cons the admins are invited to. It will eventually appear on the DMsGuild."

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

This week from EN Publishing we have a new plug-in location in the Over the Next Hill series over on EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon, a look at how the legal system works in a fantasy medieval world filled with magic over on TRAILseeker, the Pathfinder Patreon, and a monster-creation system (and web app!) for GMs who need a little help creating NPCs and critters for the What's OLD is NEW system - along with an accompanying web app which does all the work for you!

If you have trouble finding adventures suitable for your Dungeons & Dragons campaign, there's a new tool in town. Adventure Lookup lets you teach for RPG adventures by keywords, levels, systems, settings and more. It contains details of adventures for all editions of D&D, including Pathfinder, OSR, DCC, and others as well as - of course! - D&D 5th Edition. The site has just launched, and only has a few hundred adventures on it so far, but that will grow over time.

This Theme Week thing has worked out pretty well so far, so for the foreseeable future, I'll stick with it. This week, thanks to the release of the Critical Role setting book, I decided to showcase a number of products designed specifically to use with the 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Not only as a tip-of-the-hat to this new product, but also an acknowledgment of one of the most important games in the history of Gen Con. I have some interesting thoughts about what I should do for Gen Con week itself, but I am keen to know if any of you have suggestions.

Some great news for Greyhawk fans! Frank Mentzer, who designed the 1983 edition D&D Basic Set (known as the "Red Box") along with its sequels, co-wrote The Temple of Elemental Evil with Gary Gygax, and more, is to launch a Kickstarter soon for a 5th Edition and Red Box compatible region of a continent east of the well-known Greyhawk setting, known as the realm of Empyrea, a continent described in the adventure Egg of the Phoenix in 1987. He is working with Ted Fauster (World of Faerel), and is inviting famous artists of that era of D&D to join the project, such as Clyde Caldwell, Larry Elmore, and Erol Otus. He's doing this based on written permission from Gary Gygax dating back to 1981.

The mighty Frog God is at it again with their new Kickstarter offering the fourth instalment in the Quests of Doom series. This time round not only are the modules offered for three different systems (Fifth Edition, Swords & Wizardry and Pathfinder) but theyare offering you a complete ‘pick and mix’ approach to what you’d like. There are sixteen (yes, 16!) adventures in total so across the three systems that makes up 48 to choose from in PDF or print. Every print adventure automatically comes with the PDF version free.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Starfinder in the wild, Pathfinder Adventures comes to desktop PCs, Fantasy Grounds price drop, Fallout coming to tabletop, Games Workshop gets sued, and more!

WotC's Dungeon Masters Guild store launched 18-months ago, and was a vehicle for D&D fans to produce material and sell it to other fans in one convenient online mega-store; WotC's version of the App Store, essentially. WotC's Chris Lindsay comments that the store now has thousands of new publishers on the store - something which is both bug and feature. One of the problems with such a large body of content is that it can be tough to find the really good stuff, and WotC has tried to address this is in past with columns highlighting certain products (and, indeed, there are websites which do that very well too, including the ENnie-nominated Loot the Room which posts a monthly Best of the DM's Guild column).

August's Unearthed Arcana, from WotC's Mike Mearls, offers a new experience point system based on D&D's "three pillars" - combat, exploration, and social interaction. "With all three pillars in mind, Mike Mearls presents an alternative system for awarding experience points, offering a streamlined XP process based in equal part on defeating monsters, exploring dangerous sites to claim the magic and wealth found there, and interacting with NPCs to shape the flow of the campaign."

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

This week's updates from EN Publishing include an article on EN5ider, the 5E Patreon, about variant humans for 5th Edition, making humans less the "default, average" race, and more varied with a range of alternative traits; on TRAILseeker, the Pathfinder Patreon, there's ten new transmutation spells; and the latest episode of Turn Order: Warped is here, as the Black Fang's intrepid crew prepare to rescue a hostage! And last, but by no means least, the release of The Nereid Trilogy, a sci-fi WOIN adventure by Jacob Rodgers.
    Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast