Miniatures
  • Miniatures

If you've ever wondered how D&D miniatures are made, iO9's Ed Grabianowsi has the answer for you. Gale Force 9 has given iO9 an insight into the miniature creation process as part of the Princes of the Apoclaypse publicity effort. The article interviews GF9's Matt Parks and discusses the Elemental Evil miniatures to be released over the coming months - in particular the model of Aerisi Kalinoth, who features on the cover of Princes of the Apocalypse.
     ...READ MORE

Gale Force 9 is gearing up for release of its Red Dragon miniature (although "miniature" feels like it's underselling the thing). With a gargantuan 6" base, 20" wingspan (yeah, you read that right), and 7" in height, it's far from miniature. The model is made of 13 resin pieces, and is part of the D&D Collectors Series. Here's a few photos of the thing! I'm not sure when this model will be released, or how much it'll cost, though I guess you can keep an eye on their online store for it to appear.
     ...READ MORE

Dungeon-a-Day is a Kickstarter being run by a Swedish group, and which aims to produce a tabletop RPG dungeon map every single day for 101 days. Not only that, but one of the stretch goals has Skip Williams (D&D 3E, and Dragon magazine's "Sage") writing an adventure for one of those maps. The maps include a detailed dungeon map plus detailed battle maps in full colour, and suitable for printing.
     ...READ MORE

Erik Mona has previewed three new Pathinder Battles miniatures - a Deinonychus (which Erik says is their first chance to make a feathered miniature), a Bat, and a Gnoll Leader. The latter has the symbol of Rovagug, an evil god, on his breastplate.
     ...READ MORE

Here's an interesting couple of pictures showing a pair of Gale Force 9's D&D miniatures both in concept art form and as final plastic figures. The result is very similar to the original artwork.
     ...READ MORE

Dwarven Forge is no stranger to enormously successful Kickstarters. Previous projects have raised in the region of $2,000,000, and the latest looks like it's on track to do much the same. This time, it's a beautiful city builder system - and in my opinion, it's the prettiest yet. Dwarven Forge is, admittedly, not for those on a limited budget - I've never owned any myself, sadly. In case you're not familair, Dwarven Forge produces 3D modular terrain for use with miniatures. They've been around for nearly 20 years, and have consistently produced some of the bst -looking - and best-known - 3D terrain around.
     ...READ MORE

This whole week, we're celebrating the holiday dedicated to those folks who make RPGs possible - the Game Masters. It's fitting that this day also marks the passing of one of our great godfathers, E. Gary Gygax. So March Fo(u)rth and see what you can get at least 30% savings on (but make sure you get to it before the end of the weekend).
     ...READ MORE

Warning: spoilers ahead! If you've got the D&D 5th Edition Starter Set, you'll be familiar with the starter adventure, Lost Mine of Phandelver. John Forrest created the hideout of some of the villains using Dwarven Forge scenery pieces, and the result was gorgeous. If you are likely to play through Lost Mine of Phandelver, don't click through to the pretty pictures (although they're not that spoilerific); but if you're not, or if you already have, or if you're the DM, then by all means take a look!
     ...READ MORE

The photos from New York Toy Fair continue, with a bunch a dragons all lined up and ready to go! Here are the Tiamat and Bahamut figures you've seen much more clearly before, along with the various D&D Attack Wing dragons. While not nearly as awesome as the close-ups we've seen of these same miniatures in the past, it's still cool to see them all there in a row in their boxes.
     ...READ MORE

Straight from New York Toy Fair - photographs of upcoming Pathfinder Battles miniatures, including the Iconic Heroes set and more. Some of these we've only seen renders of so far, so it's great to see the actual figures. The pictures below include all three Iconic Heroes sets, although they're hard to see clearly there in their boxes still!
     ...READ MORE

Erik Mona has shared two new miniatures from Paizo's Dungeons Deep set, due in a couple of weeks - a goblin archer and a gnoll slaver. He also showed some of the Iconic Heroes set. "Frankly, I think WizKids has been raising the bar set after set with Pathfinder Battles, so while I was excited to see what they could do with Iconic Heroes, I confess my enthusiasm was tinged with at least a little bit of skepticism. I mean, how much better could they be, really?"  ...READ MORE

One of my favorite things about role playing games, and Dungeons and Dragons in particular, is the miniature. While I have an active imagination, I'm also a very visual person. I enjoy having physical representations of characters in the game to place on maps during encounters, or sometimes, just to have on a shelf and admire. I also enjoy painting (or re-painting) minis and find it to be an important part of my RPG experience. There are a lot of minis that I really like, but I thought I'd narrow it down to the five that I like the very most.
     ...READ MORE

The latest Elemental Evil miniature to be teased is an earth elemental. Like the previous ogre, and the fire elemental, it's from WizKids upcoming Elemental Evil booster sets, which release on March 31st in randomly assorted booster sets for $15.99 each. "Collect all 44 figures from Elemental Evil, the newest set of randomly sorted monsters and heroes in our exciting new line of D&D miniatures, Icons of the Realms. Bring the world of the Forgotten Realms to life with these new miniatures from the Elemental Evil storyline. Wage war against prophets, monsters and elemental creatures to thwart their devious plans to wreak massive amounts of havoc upon the Material Plane!"
     ...READ MORE

The first ever Games Workshop store is to be demolished. Located in Hammersmith, in west London, the store was opened in April 1978. It's not currently a Games Workshop store; the building is occupied by a translation business. When it was opened, nearly 40 years ago, people lined up in the street. Games Workshop was created in 1975 in Nottingham by John Peake, Ian Livingstone, and Steve Jackson, all of whom had left the company by the 1990s. It is the publisher of games like Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K. No word yet on whether it's being demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.  ...READ MORE

A new Elemental Evil miniature has been teased. This one's a fire elemental. Like the previous ogre, it's from WizKids upcoming Elemental Evil booster sets, which release on March 31st in randomly assorted booster sets for $15.99 each. "Collect all 44 figures from Elemental Evil, the newest set of randomly sorted monsters and heroes in our exciting new line of D&D miniatures, Icons of the Realms. Bring the world of the Forgotten Realms to life with these new miniatures from the Elemental Evil storyline. Wage war against prophets, monsters and elemental creatures to thwart their devious plans to wreak massive amounts of havoc upon the Material Plane!" I know, I said that last time.
     ...READ MORE

WotC's upcoming Elemental Evil miniatures (via WizKids) include an ogre. There are 44 Elemental Evil miniatures in total, releasing on March 31st in randomly assorted booster sets for $15.99 each. "Collect all 44 figures from Elemental Evil, the newest set of randomly sorted monsters and heroes in our exciting new line of D&D miniatures, Icons of the Realms. Bring the world of the Forgotten Realms to life with these new miniatures from the Elemental Evil storyline. Wage war against prophets, monsters and elemental creatures to thwart their devious plans to wreak massive amounts of havoc upon the Material Plane!"  ...READ MORE

This week, let's take a look at two related upcoming Pathfinder miniatures: the chest and the mimic! The Dungeons Deep set includes a variety of dungeon dressing pieces, and this is no exception. But is the chest just a chest, or will you switch it out for the mimic when your players get too close?
     ...READ MORE

Fat Dragon Games is running a Kickstarter for a "customizable tabletop outdoor terrain system for 28mm scale fantasy miniature games, wargames, and roleplaying games." These are PDF terrain sets which you download, print out, and build. They're already well-known for their dungeon, castle, town, and sci-fi sets. They're already at 2,500% of their Kickstarter goal, and more and more sets are being added to the existing sets through stretch goals. Already, they've hit forest ruins, goblin camp, sphinx, volcano, tent-pack, and more, and future goals include wagons, statues, tombs, and obelisks.
     ...READ MORE

A quick peek at some more of the upcoming miniatures from Paizo's Dungeons Deep set, including a large Frost Giant, a Gnoll Warrior, and some more of the dungeon dressing pieces which folks appear quite excited about - in this case a sacophagus with a lid and an actual removable mummy that comes out of it!  ...READ MORE

Last week I previewed some of Paizo's upcoming Dungeons Deep miniatures set, including one of the new dungeon dressing pieces. This week, I have three more - another dungeon dressing piece (the burning brazier), along with the dreaded Chupacabra, the legendary goat-sucker of South American cryptozoology and a gorgeous Gargantuan Red Dragon!
     ...READ MORE