Savage Worlds
  • Savage Worlds

A few days ago a draft copy of the upcoming Rifts Savage Worlds Players Guide made its way into my inbox from Pinnacle Entertainment. As a fan of the Rifts game from Palladium Games, I have been following the development of this game with interest. After having a couple of days to read through the PDF, I can talk about some of my early impressions of Savage Rifts.  ...READ MORE

This week's Picks feature a lot of "useful stuff for running games," including modern gear for Dark Conspiracy, random magical items for Savage Worlds, and all you could want to know about Seattle in the Shadowrun universe. Then there's the fire-oriented ninja clans of Ninja Crusade and all the over-the-top fantasy of Exalted 3rd Edition. This is the stuff I have for you this week, friends, so let's dive in.
     ...READ MORE

Roll20's Quarter 1 2016 data analytics report has just arrived in my inbox, so, as always, it's stats time again! Not surprisingly, D&D 5th Edition remains the most-played system on the virtual tabletop (35.44% of all games, increasing by 4.05%), while Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4E all decreased slightly - but only by a single percent or so each.
     ...READ MORE

Sorry for the delay getting this up today, folks. I am still recovering from something nasty that took me down hard on Tuesday and Wednesday (which, by the way, is why there is no Wednesday Pick for this week, as well). On top of all that, a certain something is coming to fruition, which as you might imagine, has me hopping at a high gear as well. I am feeling much better, but that means I am going double-time to catch up and then keep up, so as always, your kind patience and support are greatly appreciated. In the immortal words of Mr. Kasem, "and now, on with the countdown."
     ...READ MORE

Kind of wandering across the RPG timeline with this week's Picks, since we've got the return of Mark Rein-Hagen, a new post-modern superhero setting, an OSR-1e driven product by Steve Perrin that shows what the first RPG might have been had it been inspired by sci-fi instead, and a couple of new Savage Worlds guidebooks. We're looking at convention season ramping up soon, so you're looking at some great opportunities to try new games and see if you like them. Seriously, find a show you can get to, sit down and play some games, and build some adventurous memories!
     ...READ MORE

The farthest reaches of space and Humanity's transitioning journey in one direction. The ancient, pre-historical past of that same Humanity, facing eldritch horrors with swords-and-sorcery, in the other direction. Magical and zombie-driven apocalypses in the middle. Kickass terrain (on serious sale) upon which to fight the battles for Humanity. This is a great week to be a gamer, folks! Then again, every week is a great week to be a gamer these days, and I daresay gaming is more diverse, more awesome, and more pervasive than it's ever been!
     ...READ MORE

As the weather pretty much goes insane here in Denver (Spring sprang, and today we're below freezing and covered in snow, but it promises to be over 70 Fahrenheit on Monday...), here's another week of Picks wrapped up. It's another "all over the map" kind of week, with a D&D Classic; an indie-style game that's sure to twist some noodles; a callback to a truly classic world, Savaged; a brand new game out of Europe already taking the beaches by storm; and a psionics-driven game that's got a very similar name to another popular game, but is in every way different. As always, just trying to make sure you see the wide tapestry that is our hobby, friends.
     ...READ MORE

As the extended GM's Day Sale rolls on (until March 16th, friends), there's a ton of great titles out there, and pretty much all of them are marked down 30%. If the Million Dollar Kickstarter that is 7th Sea tells us anything, it's that gaming is nowhere near dead. In fact, it's more alive and well than it's ever been. Seriously, everywhere I go, if I am wearing the right shirt or carrying the right book, someone knows what it is and wants to talk about it. We are everywhere, and we are legion, and this hobby is the greatest it's ever been.
     ...READ MORE

Today marks an incredibly important and special day in our hobby. Early on, it might be said it was something of a whim, but over the years, the RPG culture truly embraced the idea of celebrating our Game Masters on an annual basis. After all, no GM, no game! In 2008, the holiday took on an even greater and more powerful meaning, as one of the Godfathers of Gaming, Gary Gygax, went on to other realms of adventure. Sites like DriveThruRPG are holding massive sales for those wanting to celebrate by buying tons of gaming stuff (and maybe, you know, giving something nice to their favorite GMs). Here's a bunch of great Picks, as well as a link to the DriveThruRPG sale page at the end.
     ...READ MORE

Many of you know that I am now a Brand Manager for Pinnacle Entertainment Group, the home of Savage Worlds, Deadlands, Rippers, and the impending Savage Rifts. I mention that here, for those who may not know, as a fair disclaimer - I have a distinct bias regarding Savage Worlds products. I try not to show it too much most weeks, though it's more than fair to say that Savage Worlds is a hugely popular and ubiquitous game system that warrants significant coverage. This week, that bias definitely shone through as three of the five Picks are Savage. All, I truly believe, are worth your time, but I promise to try not to do this too much in the future and keep the spread a bit more diverse. Please don't miss the awesome "Complete Your Bundle" sale notice at the end, as it's over in a few days.
     ...READ MORE

This may not be my most eclectic spread of Picks for a given week, but it's got to be up there in the Top 5 or so. As always, I really do try to make sure you're aware of lots of different options from all angles. Ours is one of the most diverse, dynamic hobbies I've ever encountered, and it just keeps growing! We've seen a bit of other media mining our offerings for content, and I predict that's going to be even more true down the road as web-delivered and on-demand media becomes even more The Thing.
     ...READ MORE

It's been over a week since I got out of the hospital from my operation, and I want to thank you all for the kind wishes and support. It was rough going that first week (as anyone who follows me on Facebook can attest), but the journey's gotten progressively easier, and I am doing much better. More on that later. As for this week's Picks, you've got quite an assortment - a game that calls back to the 70s by design, and the original D&D from the 70s bookend a number of other cool offerings. Ours is a deep, rich, and varied hobby with so many exceptional choices. As always, I hope I can help you make a few.
     ...READ MORE

As I write this, I am one day out of the hospital from my bariatric surgery. All went well, and I am expected to recover fully and accomplish the goal, which is to seize back my life in a much healthier fashion. Today, however, I am very drained as my body keeps asking "what the heck just happened!?!" In that I was able to plan ahead, I front-loaded all my Picks for the week on my Sean's Pick of the Day site, and I've simply ported those over to today's article here on ENWorld. If you note any strangeness below, or deviations from my usual format, that should explain it. And now, onward...
     ...READ MORE

It's no surprise that D&D is the most played game on Fantasy Grounds, seeing as the virtual tabletop platform is the officially licensed VTT for the game. However, it can be interesting looking at the stats for all the other games. Smiteworks has sent along a couple of charts showing the games played on their platform throughout the whole of 2015. That included 136,000 D&D 5th Edition games. Below is the breakdown of the top 25 most popular games. Smiteworks' Doug Davison notes that there were many other games played, but they came to less than 1% in total. Of note following D&D 5E were Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, Savage Worlds, and D&D 4E. In that top 5, only one game (Savage Worlds) is not a flavour of D&D in some way.  ...READ MORE

With this being the holiday week for Christmas, I sort of gave myself the week off from my regular Picks. "Sort of," in that I decided to do a bunch of Picks on Monday. Since I have some time and headspace to pull that set together for this space, here you go. As you can see, the postings include the usual eclectic collection of releases, but there's also some holiday-specific sales you'll want to check out before they completely run out.
     ...READ MORE

And here we are, at long last, looking across the last weekend ere Christmas is upon us! I do hope all of you who celebrate have a grand time with family and friends. For those who do not celebrate, may you still know joy, peace, and comfort in this last week of 2015. I will be honest right up front - please forgive the lack of any Picks next week. I am taking the full week off, especially since I will be on the road for at least a good part of it. In the meantime, however, here's a pile of good ones to get you through...
     ...READ MORE

December rolls on at a lightning pace. The sights and sounds of the holidays surround us, immersing us in the impending experience of the most incredible holiday celebration weekend of all - December 18th-20th - Star Wars: The Force Awakens! OK, so there's also that Christmas thing, but for most the geeks I know, the weekend before is the biggest deal of the year. Still, with the impending holidays, gift-giving is a thing for a lot of folks, and there's always more new awesome things to get your favorite gamers. This week's Picks are a wonderful assortment of ideas for just about anyone on your list. On top of the usual Picks, there's the spotlight on the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund Holiday Bundle - which is also full of amazing things you can give as gifts!
     ...READ MORE

Here we are, well into the first week of December, and many of you are thinking of gift-giving. Not only should you consider what you wish to give your friends and fellow gamers, you may also wish to get a Wish List put together of things you'd really like to get. It seems self-serving, I know, but the truth is most folks greatly appreciate knowing what kinds of things they should get a friend or family member - especially if said friend or family member has off-the-beaten-path hobbies like us. May I humbly recommend the DriveThruRPG Wishlist option, which you can fill in, then post up on social media or send out via email. It makes shopping for you Click-and-Easy. (OK, I am so sorry for that pun...)
     ...READ MORE

This week, a number of folks - including our illustrious host, Russ Morrissey, have celebrated the nearly-year of Picks of the Weeks I've done here on EN World. I am humbly honored by the attention, and I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I've enjoyed bringing them to you. I'd like to take this moment to welcome Christopher Helton as a fellow columnist here on the ever-growing global gaming site that we all hold dear. Knock `em dead, Chris!
     ...READ MORE

Honestly, I did not set out to do this! It was only this morning, as I made my last Pick for the week, that I realized I'd pretty much covered five classic genre categories, one each day of this week. Seriously, look at them - Steampunk; Horror (with Post-Apocalypse thrown in on that one); Fantasy; Science-Fiction; and Supers. This week is a testament to the extraordinary diversity of both speculative fiction and gaming, and it's thrilling to consider the sheer scope of what's possible and accessible through this amazing hobby of ours. But, seriously, this was completely by accident, and I am kind of wondering what my brain was up to...
     ...READ MORE