Savage Worlds
  • Savage Worlds

For much of the world, it's All Hallow's Eve (AKA Halloween AKA Samhain), which is the gateway to the Holiday Season. For Americans, this means places like Cracker Barrel have already begun pimping Christmas like it's a Kickstarter on its last days, and the battle strategies for Black Friday are well into the planning stages. It's kind of... you know what, never mind. Tonight and tomorrow, my clan is enmeshed in Halloween parties and celebrations, and we'll continue to embrace this as the geekiest holiday of all! Speaking of celebrating, check out the Halloween Sale among the Picks!
     ...READ MORE

I go where my muse takes me, and this week, it wandered mostly through various editions of D&D, plus a couple of Savage Worlds settings. Things got steamy a couple of times, and I even threw in a Bonus Pick from DriveThruCards. I want to go ahead and head off any trolling about my Pick of the 4e Player's Handbook. Love it or hate it, there's no denying its importance. Interestingly, I've heard many highly respected colleagues refer to it as a "great game, just not really a great D&D edition." Others maintain that it's a fine D&D game. All opinions are valid, and reasoned discussion is welcome - just keep it cool and calm.
     ...READ MORE

Here we are at Con on the Cob - which is absolutely one of the most enjoyable and raucous convention experiences I've ever known - and thanks to Carinn finally getting me to load up the laptop, I've managed to stay on top of Picks here. Even better, here's this week's roundup of Picks. I gotta say, once again an accidental theme presented itself this week, and that theme is WEIRD! Card-based mechanics, alt-history, two-dimensional people, and talking garbage abound, so if you're someone who is really looking for the new and strange, this is a week of Picks to peruse!
     ...READ MORE

I was in pretty rough shape last week, friends, and I am still healing. It's a long story, but my ongoing health travails took an ugly turn as I developed an ugly wound-based case of cellulitis. I tell you this as a means of explanation for why the Picks roundup went missing last Friday. However, as I've been honored to discover this is a favorite article where many of you are concerned, I determined to make it up by getting last week's Picks up today. As well, I'll be sure to get this week's Picks shared on Friday as usual. As always, thank you kindly for your patience, your support, and your always-welcome commentary!
     ...READ MORE

No, no, I am not telling everyone to bite me; there's a lycanthrope book by that name below. Meanwhile, I've yet another mea culpa to offer, since I failed to get a Picks roundup done last week. Truth is, True Believers, that this rather elegant site has some specific formatting requirements that are hard to manage when I am away. This is, honestly, because my so-called laptop is so entrenched as a desktop machine, taking it with me to cons is beyond inconvenient. I had thought to use Carinn's machine (which she takes with her religiously), but I didn't have all my logins readily available. These are, of course, digital world problems, but I am guessing many of you can relate. As Casey Kasem often said, "and now, on with the countdown."
     ...READ MORE

Sorry for missing again last week, friends, but this convention season's been both wonderful and brutal for me. I am deep in recovery mode – just not as young as I once was, and the constant altitude shift from the Mile High City to sea level and back has been brutal. Nonetheless, lots of great gaming things going on, both in my personal sphere and in the world of gaming. Now that I am a part of Pinnacle Entertainment, not only am I up to my neck in the Megaverse as it will be shared in Savage Worlds, but I am excitedly hoping to help out with the new Flash Gordon products Pinnacle announced at Gen Con. I've also got something cooking with Len Pimentel of Lakeside Games – a new version of Prowlers & Paragons! Speaking of great things happening in gaming...
     ...READ MORE

So there was this show - you might have heard of it - a convention called Gen Con. I was there last week, from Wednesday to last Sunday. I spent Monday in a kind of lethargic coma, and really only started to be remotely human Tuesday. During this time, the Pick of the Day went largely untended, and I totally missed doing this weekly roundup of mine whilst in the midst of the madness in Indianapolis. You all have my sincerest apologies on that mark, and I hope to make it up to you with this cornucopia of selections. Included is a large number of ENnie Award winners, so read on and discover gaming grandeur!
     ...READ MORE

Gen Con is coming! It's like Winter, except the swarm of invaders are all alive and very warm, and while there will be mass carnage and devastation, it will primarily happen at thousands of game tables. Well, sure, the carnage at the restaurants will also be pretty spectacular, too. Scotty's Brewhouse is one of my favorite haunts, and apparently that opinion is shared by many thousands of my fellow gamers. There are hundreds of food sources in downtown Indianapolis, and nearly all of them go out of their way to welcome Gen Con folks in some way. It's actually pretty impressive. For those will be there, do try and find me and say hello! I'll primarily be hanging around the Pinnacle/Studio 2 booth. If you cannot make it, please game on and enjoy the spirit of it all from wherever you are. I don't leave until next week, though, so let's get down to the Picks for this week...
     ...READ MORE

A couple of gems from the mines you may not normally look in, plus the core rules for that Wil Wheaton thing everyone's talking about...
     ...READ MORE

This week has a heavy focus on ENnie Award Nominees, and there's a great teaser about a fantastic, hobby-changing development in the works.
     ...READ MORE

Last time I wrote about the relative popularity of games played on the largest virtual tabletop platforms, D&D 5E had finally surged into the lead, passing Pathfinder. That was the Orr Group's (them who makes Roll20) quarterly report for Q1 2014. As you may know, Fantasy Grounds also releases such figures, and its latest stats have just come my way - and it tells the same story. These charts are for 2015 so far, and show an enormous surge which took place in March/April of this year.
     ...READ MORE

Here in the States, we will be setting off minor explosions for most of the weekend. Some will roll critical failures (likely having an alcohol-induced penalty), because... FREEDOM!

Anyway, here's a fantastic array of gaming goodness for those smart enough to stay inside when the bottle rockets fly.
     ...READ MORE

I gotta run out the door to run my first Prowlers & Paragons: Modern Gods game tonight, so let's get right to it!
     ...READ MORE

Early this week, I was off in North Carolina meeting with Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager, Clint Black, and Pinnacle's Chief Operating Officer, Jodi Black. As you might expect, we were working on locking down the key rules for Savage Rifts, which is coming along amazingly well, if I may say so. My Belovedest (and Evil Beagle's Editor-in-Chief and Lead Developer for Shaintar), Carinn Seabolt, kindly stepped in to do a couple of Picks this week.
     ...READ MORE

From ancient gods to the far future, gunslingers to apocalypse preventers, this week's got something for everyone. Plus, there's a bundle I want to bring your attention to, full of superheroic awesome and intended to help folks in Texas following the floods.
     ...READ MORE

Another eclectic selection of interesting choices, as is often the case around here. There's also a little something special I shared on Memorial Day instead of the usual Pick. For those embracing the warmth on oncoming Summer, "Here Comes the Sun." For our Southern Hemisphere friends, "Winter is Coming."
     ...READ MORE

I was in Arizona from Tuesday to yesterday, working very closely with some RPG luminaries and awesome people on the Savage Rifts project, which put me completely behind of my Picks. Thus, the formatting below may be a bit different, but you get five Picks, just like always!
     ...READ MORE

This week, an opportunity to buy a ton of great Oriental Adventures stuff and help the people of Nepal, on top of all the other great gaming stuff I took note of coming out of DriveThruRPG.
     ...READ MORE

I got started on a theme this week and decided to stick with it. Every Pick ties back to my dearest friend in this industry, one Shane Hensley, as well as the amazing Pinnacle crew and one of the hottest systems in gaming, Savage Worlds. Of course, those who've been paying attention elsewhere here on ENWorld might know why Savage is on my mind this week. ;-)
     ...READ MORE

Palladium Books has licensed its Rifts roleplaying game to Pinnacle Entertainment Group in order to produce a Savage World version of the Rifts RPG. There's no date yet announced. Rifts is a multi-genre post-apocalyptic game which dates back to 1990.
     ...READ MORE