Savage Worlds
  • Savage Worlds

Swords-and-Sorcery seems to have made a serious surge in the gaming zeitgeist as of late, and not just for OSR fans. Mighty-thewed barbarians, frightening sorcerers with dangerous arcane power, and a complete lack of plumbing and lattes - what's not to love! This is the genre that breaks it all down into savage, survival-of-the-fittest adventure, with quests for glory and gold the driving force of any journey that starts in a tavern, but which so often leads to deciding the fate of the world. Welcome to the Week that was Positively Barbaric!

There's been a lot of pain and difficulty front-and-center in recent days. In the midst of the challenges and the tragedy, there've been plenty of tales of real-life heroes to inspire us. When the darkness falls and hope falters, that's when heroes step up. That's the inspiration for this week's theme. I've been clinging to the need for heroes in a world so troubled, and I feel that gaming will always give us that chance to embrace the heroic ideal and indulge in the dream that we, too, can step up and do what needs to be done.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we’re also now listing a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Hang on... it can't already be a week since my last column? I know right! You're getting a bonus column out of me because of the amount of the campaigns out there being crowdfunded at present! Yesterdays column looked at a bunch of Pathfinder and 5th Edition books available and today we're looking at some other campaigns... as well as a couple of Pathfinder/5E ones.

Kickstarter have launched a Project Of Earth initiative to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Voyager probes. Shades of Vengeance have taken the idea of what might happen when a probe is picked up by an alien civilization. What’s their reaction and how do they respond. The bad news for us is it looks like they invade in Shades of Vengeance’s Era: Balam. The good news is that Shades of Vengeance are not only releasing Era: Balam in their signature Era d10 system but also for FATE and Savage Worlds.

Man, have I traveled a lot this year! In the case of this weekend, it's only a handful of miles, but I am still going to be away from home and in a hotel for a convention. It's a great con, mind you, run by people very special to me (including my own Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt (Editor-in-Chief of Evil Beagle Games and the always-amazing Nikki Ebright). In honor of MALCon, the theme for this week was Myths & Legends, which you can see took us all over space and time (see what I did there?).

This week's theme is Cut It to the Core Week, inspired by the release of Third Eye's Pip System, as well as the fact that you can get all kinds of core rulebooks and other goodies for 25% off thanks to it being Christmas in July at DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. Having the core engine of your favorite game is not only a gateway into all the stuff you really like from your favorite publishers - it's a toolkit to begin crafting your own great ideas into a playable iteration for all to share.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

With the ENnie Awards coming up at Gen Con soon, and voting fully underway, I thought another look at the various nominations was in order. So, once again, I've chosen to delve into certain categories and pick something to highlight while pointing out some other entries in the same field. This week, it's the Judges Spotlight Winners, Best Family Game, Best RPG Related Product, Best Art, Cover, and Product of the Year.

Between the appearance of randomly generated (and often dead) characters from the fun & cheeky original Traveller web-based randomizer and the general release of the new Star Trek game, it seemed like this would be a good week to Take to the Stars! Though not one of this Picks this week, one should not forget our fine host's most excellent N.E.W. as another option for hitting the spaceways.

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

Battlefield Press have launched a new campaign to fund a new Savage Worlds edition of their Gaslight Victorian Fantasy setting. The setting has previously been available in OGL and Savage Worlds in early editions.

Fresh from securing a Savage Worlds license from Pinnacle Entertainment FeralGames have lost no time in launching their first Savage Worlds based Kickstarter with Ghost Ops. In Ghost Ops you are part of an Elite Special Forces Unit sent on missions to deal with Drug Cartels, Crime Lords, terrorist Cells and Warlords… from jungles to deserts, artic regions to urban sprawls. Fans of Tom Clancy and computer games such as Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell should enjoy this.

I'm baaaack! Yeah, sorry for the absence, friends, but things got a bit messy and sad for me for a bit, and I frankly let this just slip right off my desk. I am back in the saddle, and I've returned with a Theme Week - Eclectic Fun! Check out this odd array of gaming goodness that spans a rather different spectrum than usual.

Savage Worlds
    had always been a tough sell. My gaming groups loved the system, but the settings just never caught hold. The campaigns just never lasted. Rifts, was nearly the opposite. Nobody (except me) liked the system and only a serious amount of house ruling could save vs. arguments; yet, Rifts allowed the crazy kitchen sink campaigns we wanted and endured the longest. Boom Guns and Dead Boys and dragons, oh my!

Yet another weekend where I am at a convention, which is enormous fun, but enormously exhausting. One of the Picks is in honor of said con, actually - I am at MantiCon, both as a member of the Royal Manticoran Navy and as their Gaming Guest of Honor. Meanwhile, take a look at the otherwise all-new stuff in the Picks for Savage Worlds, World of Darkness, Ninja Crusade, and Cartoon Action Hour!

Pirates, Vodouisants, and Witch Hunters battle each other and beasts of legend in the mystic waters of the Caribbean in Buccaneer: Through Hell & High Water, a brand new Savage Worlds Setting from Brett Weihing.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast