GURPS
  • GURPS

Welcome back to the second part of our 'catch-up' New Releases column this week. This installment looks at the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also look at a selection of RPG PDF releases from last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

Those in the know spent this week checking the temperature in the Nether Realms and wondering if Beelzebub might not be trying on ice skates. Why? Because that which never seemed possible came to pass - Steve Jackson Games is now on DriveThruRPG, currently selling 4th Edition GURPS products. They are also challenging the notion that PDFs must inherently be devalued (which, for those of us who strive to make a living at this, is a pretty big deal). Onward!

The new GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game is getting out into the wilds, and into the hands of gamers. This Powered By GURPS boxed set funded on Kickstarter just over a year ago. The standalone game is inspired by the Dungeons & Dragons school of fantasy role-playing (as the name implies) and spins out of a successful line of PDF and print products for Steve Jackson Games' fourth edition of their GURPS role-playing game. There is a lot of good, and a few not as good things to be found in this big, fancy box, so let's open it up and talk about what is inside.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with a LOT of Starfinder updates, Fantasy Grounds gets official Pathfinder content (retroactively winning me an online argument), a new graphic novel on the origins of Dungeons & Dragons, details on the new life for GURPS books, and more!

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this weekís news. International Tabletop Day news, Hasbroís new crate service, a D&D Deckbuilder, Fallout comes to tabletop, Mensa Select games for 2017 announced, sales information for 2016 and Q1 2017 are in from some of the biggest game companies, and more!

During the Nineties I played a lot of GURPS. For a long time, it was my go-to system for just about everything from horror to conspiracy to science fiction gaming. If there wasn't a GURPS 3E supplement for a genre or setting idea, I might not have played it. Yes, GURPS was everything that people who aren't fans of the system leveled at it: it required a lot of work, it could be complex and players could face paralysis when faced with so many options during character creation. Despite all of that, for me and the people that I gamed with at the time, it was a familiar and comfortable kind of complex. It suited us, and it suited my play style at the time.

Family and industry friends are reporting that seminal game designer Loren Wiseman has passed away. The exact cause of death is not yet known, but he has had long term health issues.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

I'm not one for looking back, so retrospectives of the year that was, or looks back at the best of the year, aren't for me. A lot of good and interesting games came out, and more than a few sad or bad things happened as well. It was a year that we will likely remember for a long time, in and out of our tabletop gaming worlds. Instead, let's take a little time and baselessly speculate about the year to come.

In the previous installment we discussed how Wasteland, the original inspiration behind Fallout, was shaped by the design capabilities of several tabletop game designers. In this installment that tradition continues with the application of GURPS to the Wasteland-inspired Fallout...until it wasn't.

{This is a Sponsored Post} Heya, folks! One of the more exciting things going on in RPG KS land is the impending Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Powered by GURPS. If you somehow missed this, you'd best take a fast look and get behind it, especially if you're a long-time GURPS fan. This marks Steve Jackson Games' return to their much-beloved and hobby-changing game engine, redefined for today's gaming market.