Dungeons & Dragons
  • Dungeons & Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons evolved from a miniature wargame with a referee to a role-playing game with as many as 20 players managed by a Game Master, to massive multiplayers where there are no referees at all. D&D's model of play is highly flexible, but its expression in other mediums has shown that the model where "anything can be attempted" has limits before something breaks down, and it starts with the referee.

...READ MORE

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.
     ...READ MORE

Role-playing is a unique hobby. Despite thousands of RPGs and millions of players there are few instances where standards for one group are shared by another. Chances are good, that my game only resembles your game; even if we're running the same edition, even if we're using the same module. Though I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, there's countless ways to (RP or) play D&D… But just in case you needed one more, Avalon Games has produced a superhero themed supplement: Heroes Wear Masks, which is skinned for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition (most recently), & Pathfinder.

...READ MORE

Satine Phoenix might be the most recognizable woman in the game industry. Her popular video series GM Tips, regularly has about 100,000 views per episode. She's a GM for D&D's official Twitch channel, where she co-created Maze Arcana and DMs the popular Sirens of the Realms stream, in addition to her career as a model. artist and cosplayer. She also created both DrawMelt and DnDMelt at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood, founded CelebrityChariD20 and co-created the graphic novel series New Praetorians, and among other projects. With so much going on and convention season starting, Satine was gracious enough to carve some time out of her busy schedule to talk about gaming.

...READ MORE

Welcome to the Legend of the Heart Eater. A warlock subclass that can be inserted into play when a character dies, giving that character a second chance at life... with a price. By James Haeck; illustrated by Kim Van Deun. Only on EN5ider, the 5E patreon!  ...READ MORE

Welcome to the first of my Critical Role recaps! This is a new weekly feature here at EN World that will follow the Dungeons & Dragons campaigns streamed via the Critical Role channels on YouTube, Twitch and the enhanced offerings on Geek & Sundry streaming service, Alpha.

...READ MORE

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New Dungeons & Dragons licensed products from the Toy Fair, International Tabletop Day announcements, Steve Jackson Games Stakeholders Report for 2017 and announcements for 2018, and more!

...READ MORE

Last we heard about the D&D movie was that it was coming on July 23rd, 2021. That was back in December. Various outlets are now reporting that Chris McKay, who is currently working on the Nightwing movie, will be directing. Also, separately on 14th February, Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman posted a photo of themselves on a "secret mission" with actor Joe Manganellio, who at one point tweeted a photo of a Dragonlance script (Manganellio tweeted the same photo saying "With two of the architects of my childhood, the authors of the Dragonlance novels Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman").  ...READ MORE

A quick announcement - short and sweet! Our first Critical Role column is coming this Friday from Annie Bulloch, who will be covering the show with news, summaries, announcements, and recaps every week. Stay tuned each Friday for Critical Role news and discussion!
     ...READ MORE

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! We have a bumper crop of campaigns this time round, ranging from post-apocalyptic to super-powered, from 5th Edition and Pathfinder to Savage Worlds, and from Georgian Society to Pirate Society and beyond. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.
     ...READ MORE

Concluding The Dying Skyseer! In part 3 of this critically-acclaimed 5th Edition adventure, the party uncovers the fourth investigation thread, the climax, and the conclusion of this complex instalment. Find it on EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon!  ...READ MORE

So it's finally come to this: Old Spice recently made a class for Pathfinder. This isn't the first time a brand has created a class for D&D and it won't be the last, but it says a lot about gamers -- and the brand -- in how we react to these ads.

...READ MORE

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.
     ...READ MORE

Dry erase boards. Flip mats. Graph paper. Lego. Theater of the Mind. All of these are valid, tried-and-true methods of tracking movement/combat in Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs. While I've employed all of these in the past, nothing has worked better for my games than the dungeon tile.

...READ MORE

New on EN5ider, the 5th Edition patreon: welcome to this collection of dragon-themed player options - Marked by the Dragon background, along with environments, plots, and a new Draconic Favor mechanic!
     ...READ MORE

Looking at EN World's reviews area, where the ratings of commenters are aggregated, it's interesting to look at which are the favourite official D&D books an which are less well-regarded. I've taken the items with 10 or more reviews and ranked them in descending order. Volo's Guide to Monsters is by far the favourite product, with Hoard of the Dragon Queen at the bottom of the list.  ...READ MORE

Today we go looking through the bard's backpack while they are off wooing crowds and taking requests for lovebirds. Expecting a host of romantic pamphlets, we find instead a small collection of useful notes that make for a good read. Tricky those bards are, they probably took the saucy bits with them. Still, you won't be disappointed by this month's selection.

...READ MORE

WotC is teaming up with a video game company called Ludia to produce a new mobile RPG called Warriors of Waterdeep (trailer below). The game is coming in Spring, and features your party of adventurers using Waterdeep as a base of operations.  ...READ MORE

I've been a fan of Mike "Sly Flourish" Shea for years, and particularly enjoyed The Lazy Dungeon Master, his book of GM advice and tips from a few years ago. He's now Kickstarting a sequel, The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, and has sent me along a quick preview of the first few pages.  ...READ MORE

February's Unearthed Arcana from WotC is here, and covers wilderness exploration. The new optional rules involve breaking travel into four phases: choosing a destination, choosing activities, resolving the activities and travel, and camping; plus a sample wilderness region from Nentir Vale: the Moon Hills region.
     ...READ MORE